Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 06:52 PM

217 posts, read 240,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
I think having 2 Wal-Mart Neighborhood markets as opposed to a 2nd Supercenter was the wiser choice IMO.

Patriot Centre...was that the "Upscale Piggly Wiggly"? If I understand the situation correctly with that is the local family that owns the remaining Piggly Wiggly stores as well as Willy-Sues owns that land and will not sell it due to in-family fighting and feuds. Thus you have family ownership conflict preventing other developers from purchasing the land while not being able to develop it themselves because the Piggly Wiggly brand is not viable as they closed one store recently. Is that pretty accurate?

Tell me about the Town Center on 521 @ Alice Drive. I never knew that had plans to begin with.
Crosland Development out of Charlotte had signs up at the 521/ Alice Drive intersection (before the road expansion) cor a big box development.
Their website had overhead views of the site and maps of where stores and out parcels would be built. The Item mentioned the project in a large article that also included info on Home Depot(which was also canceled)

Here is a link to another forum that talked about old Sumter retail news from around 2008

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The economic downturn stopped this project before it even got off the ground

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2019 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Crosland Development out of Charlotte had signs up at the 521/ Alice Drive intersection (before the road expansion) cor a big box development.
Their website had overhead views of the site and maps of where stores and out parcels would be built. The Item mentioned the project in a large article that also included info on Home Depot(which was also canceled)

Here is a link to another forum that talked about old Sumter retail news from around 2008

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The economic downturn stopped this project before it even got off the ground
This is gonna get removed because you can’t link to competitor sites.

Last edited by Yac; 07-08-2019 at 01:03 AM..

Old 07-07-2019, 01:41 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
This is gonna get removed because you can’t link to competitor sites.
City Data is sooo insecure about itself

What other sites can we not post? I’ve never been clear on this.

Nonetheless it’s proof that Sumter had big projects going for it and how the economic downturn stymied it, too. Perhaps they were about to turn the corner.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:32 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
City Data is sooo insecure about itself

What other sites can we not post? I’ve never been clear on this.

Nonetheless it’s proof that Sumter had big projects going for it and how the economic downturn stymied it, too. Perhaps they were about to turn the corner.
I honestly believe Sumter is somewhat of an anomaly, in a way that you just can't always go by the numbers. We may not have the numbers that certain restaurants and others businesses like to see, but some of those same restaurants will probably do well here. It's a military town, air force and army, and military people love to eat out, and Sumter people love to eat out, and people from surrounding areas as well.

Hopefully city leaders, chamber president, and developers will try to attract some of these businesses back to the city, or at least take another look. I believe Sumter is stronger and better today than it was back then.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM

217 posts, read 240,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I honestly believe Sumter is somewhat of an anomaly, in a way that you just can't always go by the numbers. We may not have the numbers that certain restaurants and others businesses like to see, but some of those same restaurants will probably do well here. It's a military town, air force and army, and military people love to eat out, and Sumter people love to eat out, and people from surrounding areas as well.

Hopefully city leaders, chamber president, and developers will try to attract some of these businesses back to the city, or at least take another look. I believe Sumter is stronger and better today than it was back then.
You would think Developers notice the steady business Logans, Ihop, Applebees, Chilis, Outback, BWW, Golden Corral, And Ruby Tuesday receive in Sumter

Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
You would think Developers notice the steady business Logans, Ihop, Applebees, Chilis, Outback, BWW, Golden Corral, And Ruby Tuesday receive in Sumter

Those type of restaurants are right up Sumter's alley which is why they are likely here. On paper Sumter's population looks good.. City of 40k metro of just over 100k..gets businesses attention.. HOWEVER; what may slow them down is when they look at income/buying power and what I have heard to be called "Psychographics"(I believe that is the correct word which is just fancy for shopping habits)..which is people's preferences and buying patterns that likely give them pause as they trend towards more and mid to low end/value oriented shopping and entertainment. Not a criticism, just an observation.. When I was in Sumter in the 90s if you offered a lunch special over $10 it better be on a buffet or people were not coming.. and it sure as hell needed to include the drink or else you were just adding insult to injury ....

Old 07-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Those type of restaurants are right up Sumter's alley which is why they are likely here. On paper Sumter's population looks good.. City of 40k metro of just over 100k..gets businesses attention.. HOWEVER; what may slow them down is when they look at income/buying power and what I have heard to be called "Psychographics"(I believe that is the correct word which is just fancy for shopping habits)..which is people's preferences and buying patterns that likely give them pause as they trend towards more and mid to low end/value oriented shopping and entertainment. Not a criticism, just an observation.. When I was in Sumter in the 90s if you offered a lunch special over $10 it better be on a buffet or people were not coming.. and it sure as hell needed to include the drink or else you were just adding insult to injury ....
Some restaurant franchises have strict guidelines, or criteria they go by before considering moving into a new city or town. For example, if your population of the metro is not at least 150,000, they probably won't come, or if your median income is less than 45,000 they probably won't come. I would imagine there are some exception to this, and these are not the only standards but a starting point for many. That's why Florence, a city with the slightly smaller population within the city, but a metro of 205,000 have franchises we don't have in Sumter. But, Florence is not a military town either, and that's the exception Sumter have.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:21 PM

143 posts, read 180,144 times
I often wonder about our taxes as well. We may not think that a penny sales tax would make much of a difference but you never know if the the burden puts the penny tax just over a supposed threshold that marketers and restaurant chains look at. As it stands we have the regular sales tax plus the penny tax which puts it at 8% PLUS a 2% restaurant tax. So a trip through the drive thru will cost you 10% in taxes. That is not good given our per capita income. Income maybe too low or borderline but I think 8%-10% really hurts potential new businesses in that you have the metaphorical candle burning at both ends.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:48 AM

My gym moved out of their current location on yesterday in Gateway Plaza, into a temporary location in Gateway Plaza. So now that end of the plaza is empty, the Rental Center had already moved a few months ago. I was told that end was going to be torn down, and a new section added on. My gym will eventually be moving into the old Parties R us building next to the Vitamin Shoppe after renovation are done in a few months.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:41 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Default Westward hoooo

Sumter continues to move west with new development...I am surprised that Sumter doesn't have more townhomes.. Seems like patio homes and duplexes have been the more favored housing type for smaller more urban living.. This seems to be a well thought out development as part of a Master Plan.... Builders in Sumter sometimes talk a big game when it come to new development neighborhoods.. then put in flat streets that flood and no curb and gutters nor sidewalks... SMH

https://www.theitem.com/stories/sumt...nhouses,330710

https://sumter-agendas.s3.amazonaws....16,%202019.pdf

Last edited by Woodlands; 07-23-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina