Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 AM

28 posts, read 137,831 times

Advertisements

Hey

I just moved to Myrtle beach from the UK... met my fiance out in Iraq when she was serving with the military.. (she is originally from OK - so we are both transplants)

I have to say that the people we have met.. our neighbours, the kids and parents at our daughters day care.. have all been so friendly and we have not been given even one reason to think that we made a mistake moving here.

I think that the influx of people is a major topic though.. The south is a wonderful place and has a very unique and valuable way of life which I would hate to see eroded. I am from London and whilst the whole multicultural thing does have its advantages.. England is not England anymore.. it is just some huge melting pot of different languages, religions etc and I find that very sad because the country of my childhood does not exist anymore. If you look at what has happened in Florida.. the total development of almost the whole coastline and the huge numbers of immigration.. you would never believe it was ever one of the original confederate states..

Immigration into SC is inevitable, as is continued coastal development.. both need to be handled with care so as to not destroy both the cultural and enviromental sides to the south that make it such a great place to live.

Sorry to have gone off on one.. just putting in my 2 cents worth!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
There's another reason for some of the animosity experienced by Yankees: Labour Unions. In most cases, they are to blame for the 'China Factor' after scaring off most industries in the Northeast/Upper North. A lot of times, transplants want to bring Union influence to the South, which is economic suicide. Regardless if the Unions served some purpose in the past, they are now obsolete.

I was out and about the other day, and I heard something that disgusted me, as well as made me realize what some others think about it. I overheard someone say they'd 'Rather have 100 Hispanics rather than one Yankee" - I interrupted him and asked why he thought such a thing, and he said (in these words) - "Hispanics take jobs that no one wants, but Yankees take Professional and Industrial jobs that we have worked for decades to earn" - While I understood his reasoning, I was appalled by the response. I got to talking to him, and apparently he was bumped out of his last three jobs due to transplants (I found that hard to believe, but he looked like an honest individual).

This just goes to show that there are always people who will be antagonistic, no matter where you are from - while you should listen to all viewpoints, you should never base your opinion on one experience.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,765 times
Default Relocating

I Currently Live In Upstate Ny. I Have Met Alot Of People That Have Moved Up Here From The South ,so I Think It's Pretty Equal About Jobs Being Taken By People From Out Of State. I Think It Would Be Safe To Say That For Every Person That Moves Out Of A Certain State That Another Person Moves In. It Seems To Maintain The Balance Of The State. I Don't Think Sc Is Being Over Run With Northerners No More Than I Think That The North Is Being Over Run By Southeners.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
I Currently Live In Upstate Ny. I Have Met Alot Of People That Have Moved Up Here From The South ,so I Think It's Pretty Equal About Jobs Being Taken By People From Out Of State. I Think It Would Be Safe To Say That For Every Person That Moves Out Of A Certain State That Another Person Moves In. It Seems To Maintain The Balance Of The State. I Don't Think Sc Is Being Over Run With Northerners No More Than I Think That The North Is Being Over Run By Southeners.
I once read on this forum that for every 8 people leaving the North, one is trying to move in. For every 12 people that move into the South, 1 person moves out. The imbalance causes growth/decline.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Im Not Out To Take Someones Job. If There Is An Opening And I Fit The Qualifications , Then I Would Hope To Be Considered. It Sounds To Me That The Guy You Were Talking About His Employer Was Not Happy With Him. That's Why He Lost His Job. Employers Just Don't Up And Replace You If They Have No Reason To. So You Were Only Hearing Half The Story. It Sounds Like This Person Is A Racist, Talking That Way About Hispanics. That's Discusting! Just Because There Forien Doesn't Make Them Stupid. For All He Knows He Lost His Job To A Hispanic. As Far As The Jobs Nobody Want's, There Was A Poll On Fox News And Cnn And That Is Not True. Americans Will Take Those Jobs. It's Just That Most Of Those Employers Are Just Looking For Some One To Work For Practically Free. They Said On The News That Those Employers Are Paying Cash And No Taxes. I Have Had Those Kind Of Jobs Before. Hey If You Need A Job You've Gotta Eat Right?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Oh Yea , One More Thing . I Do Hate The Cold I've Lived In It All My Life And Im Older Now And I Do Hate The Cold And Snow Up To My Waist. All I Do Is Sit Inside And Pray For Spring. So I Told My Wife Why Don't We Move South So We Don't Have To Deal With This Crap Any More And She Liked The Idea. We'er Not Looking To Make Enemies. We Just Would Like People To Like Us No Matter Where We Are From. You Know What I Mean?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 144,081 times
It disgusts me to read some of these posts. There is something wrong with you people that think b/c you were born in the south that you're true natives. I'm sure if you look further back in your family tree you'll see your family didn't start out as natives. Why is it that you think you own the south? It's part of the bigger, beautiful picture....the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. People relocate to different parts of the country all the time and do not have to be subjected to this immature behavior. No one wants to come here to take all of the native jobs. If the northerners are taking all of the southern jobs sounds like you guys need to further your education or become accountable for your own actions. There is more blaming and pawning off of jobs down here than I've ever seen. Most people like laid back atmosphere's, that's not the problem down south. It's more that people just take their good ole time doing whatever they feel like doing for themselves. You can't run a business like that. The customer has to come first. And why is it when us yankees tell you southerners how to do something more cost effective that will take less time to get the job done you guys get all offended? That's ridiculous. Trust me...we don't come here trying to change the way people are but if we know a way to do something and try to share our info it's for the good of you, not us. We can be lazy and take 2 weeks to do something that should take 2 days to be completed but that seems crazy. I guess that's where the accountability comes into play. Also, I'm still waiting to see this southern hospitality you all talk about. I've seen plenty of southern racism but no hospitality as of yet. So, I'm sure you holier than thou southerners will have plenty to say but I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut and trying to get along with you guys.
P.S. The civil war ended many years ago...get over the fact you guys lost! Ha!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:41 AM

211 posts, read 548,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Some Southerners fear the cultural dilution, as well as the loss of jobs to tranplants, but in the long run we understand the economic situation of where the transplants are coming from. What grinds my gears is when transplants move ONLY to improve their own financial standpoint, which means to them the South is only a good move for your own personal benefit (I never buy the "hate the cold weather" thing either, generations of families in the North have taken it, what makes this new one so much weaker?).

P.S. Sorry for seeming so mean, but you wanted to know
If you don't buy the "cold weather thing", my dear, you have NEVER been to Northern Michigan!!!! It's true, we ARE leaving primarily for that reason. To prove my point: there is a PERFECT town just 40 miles from us. It suits all of our needs and wants and I would LOVE to live there, and we probably would--if not for the winters! As for the generations thing, people used to put up with a lot of things because they HAD no choice. We have an opportunity to move and we are very happy to take it! Hopefully we'll see you all soon! Looking forward to seeing the sun again !!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 AM

RESPONCE TO LUVNTHE BEACH. I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO MOVE TO SC AND NOT BE TOLD THAT IM TAKING SOMEONES JOB AWAY. OBVIOUSLY IF THERE IS A JOB OPENING IM NOT TAKING IT AWAY. I FELT THAT LISTENING TO SOME OF THE PEOPLE TALKING ON HERE THEY ARE RACIST AGAINST THE NORTHENERS. JUST BECAUSE MY ANSESTERS FOUGHT A WAR DOWN HERE DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO BE MAD AT ME. JUST LIKE THE BLACKS SHOULDN'T BE MAD AT YOU SOUTHENERS BECAUSE YOUR ANSESTERS KEPT THEM AS SLAVES.BUT THANKS TO YOU GUYS KEEPING SLAVES DOWN HERE THE WHOLE WHITE RACE HAS TO PAY FOR IT.
SO THINK ABOUT THAT.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM

211 posts, read 548,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
Oh Yea , One More Thing . I Do Hate The Cold I've Lived In It All My Life And Im Older Now And I Do Hate The Cold And Snow Up To My Waist. All I Do Is Sit Inside And Pray For Spring. So I Told My Wife Why Don't We Move South So We Don't Have To Deal With This Crap Any More And She Liked The Idea. We'er Not Looking To Make Enemies. We Just Would Like People To Like Us No Matter Where We Are From. You Know What I Mean?

What is this load of crap? How's this for stereotypes?

"I've Lived Here All My Life. My Grandma Was A Hillbilly, My Mama Was A Hillbilly, And Now I'm A Hillbilly. We Do Things Nice And Slow Down Here, And We Don't Take No Backtalk From No Damn Yankees! Don't Come Down Here Lookin' For No Respect. We like Things Jus The Way They's Been Since Our Great Great Great Great Granpappy's Day. We Have Lots Of Fun Things To Do Down Here. We Chew On Straw, Work On Our Rusty Pickup Trucks In Our Overalls, Watch Larry The Cable Guy, And Marry Our First Cousins-He He He. But Dontcha Dare Call Us No Rednecks! We don't Take Kindly To That. We Don't Believe In No Dentists, Das Why We Ain't Got No Teeth! But We Got Lots Of Trailer Parks! Ya'll Come Back Now Ya Hear?"

You want respect, you show some! I can't believe some of the attitudes I see, and I haven't even visited there yet, let alone spend all my money to move my precious family down there! FOR WHAT??? More of that kind of crap????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina