Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:50 AM

401 posts, read 381,608 times

Advertisements

We, by far, have the best state flag of all 50 states. They all hate us for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 12:05 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,283,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post
Agreed!

I could see the hate towards SC from NC in a historical perspective. SC was the super prosperous and wealthy colony in the 18th century. NC was a relative backwater. Although I don't see why they'd be mad now given the situation.

Hahaha! Florida hates itself...

Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,469,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge71 View Post

I agree!

But also thought this was interesting in the local Spartanburg news today
https://www.wspa.com/news/sc-state-f...al-design-yet/

Old 02-21-2020, 02:43 PM

8,805 posts, read 5,109,228 times
I think the Geico Gecko, should be on the state flag.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,219,378 times
The original "Big Red" palmetto flag has been returned to the Citadel to reside in a place of honor.The flag can be seen close up in the alumni center.

That's a palmetto flag with attitude!

Old 02-22-2020, 07:43 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,664,359 times
I guess I disagree with most of you. I think S.C. is just backwards and last in every thing. it's 49th in the country and last to change in attitude, laws, roads, education and just about everything else.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:58 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,435,821 times
It is near the top in population growth and tourism.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,435,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Actually, better-educated people attend church (and participate in other organizations) much more than less-educated people. This is true in SC as well.

Maybe better-educated people don’t wear Jesus on their sleeve as much as others, but being educated means being more likely to be a regular church attendee.
Most of the poor areas in the state vote for his party but he wants to associate lack of education with the party he opposes.

This is what I mean about the negativity by some people about SC is motivated by their politics.

Primarily white conservative voters in SC have elected one of only 3 black senators in the country and an Indian woman won two elections. College football and basketball which are majority black athletes are popular in SC. But he is characterizing conservative southerners as bigots.

He tries to associate lack of education with being pro life but there are physicians, engineers, teachers, etc who are pro life.

A lot of conservative natives has at least one parent or grandparent that did not grow up in SC or other southern states. All the 'New South' cities had more conservative transplants from other areas of the country and that's when the south shifted away from segregation support.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-22-2020 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-22-2020, 10:17 AM

513 posts, read 578,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I guess I disagree with most of you. I think S.C. is just backwards and last in every thing. it's 49th in the country and last to change in attitude, laws, roads, education and just about everything else.
Can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek, especially since one of your locations is Charleston, but it's simply not true that "SC is 49th in the country and the last to change about everything." Not sue what you're basing that off of but it sounds like more stereotyping. How are you measuring that this true? What states are high on your list? Which states aren't "backwards"? More substance please.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:50 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,422,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NC likes to look down on SC (more so in the past than present) but I don't get the Michigan hate from SC'ers. I can see why SC would "hate" Ohio though since a large contingent of transplants come from there these days.
Had to put on my glasses. I misspoke SC hates not Ohio not Michigan as someone pointed out and Michigan also hates Ohio not SC which makes since ...many adjacent states hate each other and any state that have a geographic reference in front of their name ie north south and west tend to hate the state that shares their root name lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina