Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 06:37 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

As for the low cost of living, one of the major cost of living is taxation which directly related to services offered by the municipality/state. I agree SC offers a he!! of a lot less services thus is really not a good choice for those needing such. Sorry for them, but that is the way it is. You pay for what you get one way or another.
What evidence do you have that SC has a lot less services?

There are a lot people in California and other blue states living on the streets which seems to contradict your assertion about taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
As far as “lack of services” it really seems on par with everywhere else I’ve been. Sidewalks everywhere are a relatively newer concept outside major cities. The South has proliferated in the “master planned community” concepts like Daniel Island and Celebration. It’s not like old neighborhoods in Upstate New York all have sidewalks, golf cart paths, and subways.
You get what you pay for. SC pays less taxes, gets less in return. Taxes is how we pay for things. The roads, schools, obgyn and healthcare services, etc could be a lot better than they are. Sidewalks was just an example, not the example, but speaking of them, major avenues should have them. Clemson Blvd in Anderson, Haywood Rd in Greenville, and Harbison in Columbia are just quick examples that should have them.

And before someone replies with nonsense, is the lack of sidewalk that huge a deal? No. Just making a point about people moving for taxes. Calculate your overall tax burden, what you'll get/lose, and how it'll affect your job, retirement, and family. Moving in general "for cheaper taxes" is dumb. Texas has no income tax, which is nice on your paycheck, but if you own property, prepare to empty your account for it. Keep that in mind when moving to Texas.

Rankings are dumb. SC having lovers and haters, is nothing new and matters to nothing in the grand scheme, basically.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:24 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You get what you pay for. SC pays less taxes, gets less in return. Taxes is how we pay for things. The roads, schools, obgyn and healthcare services, etc could be a lot better than they are. Sidewalks was just an example, not the example, but speaking of them, major avenues should have them. Clemson Blvd in Anderson, Haywood Rd in Greenville, and Harbison in Columbia are just quick examples that should have them.

And before someone replies with nonsense, is the lack of sidewalk that huge a deal? No. Just making a point about people moving for taxes. Calculate your overall tax burden, what you'll get/lose, and how it'll affect your job, retirement, and family. Moving in general "for cheaper taxes" is dumb. Texas has no income tax, which is nice on your paycheck, but if you own property, prepare to empty your account for it. Keep that in mind when moving to Texas.

Rankings are dumb. SC having lovers and haters, is nothing new and matters to nothing in the grand scheme, basically.
Harbison purposefully doesn’t have them, the entire Harbison neighborhood has walking paths that feel more natural. In other words, they have sidewalks, they just don’t follow the road. But yes, they could use more of them. And yes, traditional sidewalks would also be great, so I see what you’re saying.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Harbison purposefully doesn’t have them, the entire Harbison neighborhood has walking paths that few more natural. In other words, they have sidewalks, they just don’t follow the road. But yes, they could use more of them. And yes, traditional sidewalks would also be great, so I see what you’re saying.
Still would help to have them along the boulevard anyway, but good to know they're still around.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:26 PM

111 posts, read 95,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
By and large, SC isn't attracting those types of folks. The state isn't really undergoing any political shifts as it grows which makes it a bit unique in that regard.
The changes and shifts are just too subtle to notice

Old 06-08-2020, 07:05 PM

111 posts, read 95,769 times
Quote:
NC likes to look down on SC (more so in the past than present) but I don't get the Michigan hate from SC'ers. I can see why SC would "hate" Ohio though since a large contingent of transplants come from there these days.
Everyone hates Ohio because they fear it
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people seem to hate this state?-ohio-danger-invasion.jpg  

Old 06-08-2020, 07:47 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,623 times
As a northern (Ohio) transplant my only qualms have been roads and housing. At least in the Greenville metro area it seems to be all or nothing. In the urban Ohio housing market you can find Very old but nice homes for around $100k. Down here in at least the major cities anything $100k is falling apart. Now I get it, demand drives all of this inflated housing but it'd be nice to come across a reasonably priced home or two that isn't about to collapse on itself. Unless it's an interstate the roads down here receive minimal attention.

I'll leave on the positives. SC in my opinion is the 21st century of what Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh use to be. There is tons of employment opportunity down here in virtually every sector of the economy. Back home in Toledo, OH you have to submit your application to the UAW and wait three years before GM gives you a call. Down here you can graduate high school and the next day walk into BMW or Michelin and start working (not exactly but you get the idea). I won't speak for the entire north but SC in some areas of education tends to be ahead of the curve when compared. The fact that the state pays for kids to take AP exams and gives out so much financial aid to kids who qualify to attend tech schools and state schools is something few northern states do. Now SAT and ACT data make SC look bad but South Carolina does send plenty of kids out of their public schools to Ivy League schools and other east of the Mississippi elite colleges.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:46 AM

82 posts, read 72,936 times
It's an ass backwards state. I am born and raised in SC and moved to CO in feb 2018. I remember going back to visit family in Sept 2019 and had culture shock at this magnet rack in a store that was full of General E. Lee, Old Glory, and Trump magnets. It truly feels like traveling back in time, and not in a good way. The government is HORRIBLE. They constantly raise taxes or do other stuff without explaining where it will go and nothing ever improves. In CO we have something called TABOR, which although it has flaws, makes sense and is appreciated. Government has to put any tax raise before citizens and have them vote to approve it. SC is a state that's pro-business. You will fight for UI. I can see things from the side of the employer and the employee since I'm a labor market economist. However, in states like SC and TX they tend to favor the employer even if the employer is in the wrong. SC has very few social nets, roads are crumbling, schools are heavily underfunded, police departments in certain areas are corrupt, etc. It's a good ole boys club. That should tell you exactly what you want to know. If you're a tourist on vacation, a retiree, or have moved from a high COL state like NY, CA, MA, etc then you will love it. You will easily take the money you got from selling your CA or Boston home and scoop up damn near a mansion in SC. If you're a family and need to work and support each other then you will struggle. Low job prospects and constantly increasing COL with stagnant wages. It's a beautiful state with some good people. Gorgeous. It's a shame to see it race to the bottom.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
They constantly raise taxes or do other stuff without explaining where it will go and nothing ever improves.
Constantly raise taxes? That's the one thing the state doesn't do as often as it should.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:29 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Constantly raise taxes? That's the one thing the state doesn't do as often as it should.
South Carolina is a swing state..... if you don't believe me look at how many swings are on the porches of homes around here....

I can see the "tax increase" issue mainly at the local level as opposed to the state especially on vacation and rental properties where they figure the owners cant vote them out for it in most cases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina