Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 09:56 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What's interesting is that despite the very important and pivotal role SC had in establishing the Confederacy and initiating the Civil War, it is one of the few Southern states whose state flag draws no symbolic or artistic inspirations from the Confederacy or any of its associated flags. After the war, many other Southern states adopted official state flags that incorporated Confederate symbolism whereas SC chose to preserve its Revolutionary War-inspired state flag.

I happen to believe it's the most beautiful flag in the Union. I had no idea what the symbolism was until I moved here, and seen first-hand the great historical sites around Charleston.

Walking and experiencing the same places people did in two major American wars on our own soil has been wonderful for me. Whether it's the coast or Columbia and the Confederate efforts to slow Sherman's advance through the swamps near there, the State House grounds, etc. It's one of the best states to do so, and the preservation has been superb. Other places would have allowed massive development projects around or near those sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
As a former Floridian, I found that natives didn’t even know what their flag looked like. Transplants all complained it wasn’t New York or Jersey and consistently made fun of it despite conscientiously moving there. “It’s too hot” was a common phrase as if they didn’t know that before. The tristate area must have a terrible education system when it comes to geography.

As far as hating S.C. that’s news to me. I knew that S.C. always ranks low in click bait articles but everybody knows those articles are just from journalism majors with crappy grades that couldn’t get a real job at an actual news organization.
Tri-state people are generally self-absorbed as a general rule, anyway. That's been my experience in life having moved here from Upstate, NY, and dealt with them.

NYC people can be some of the worst when it comes to situational awareness, they don't know much about the rest of NY state outside of the 5 boroughs and maybe Westchester county.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Most of the poor areas in the state vote for his party but he wants to associate lack of education with the party he opposes.

This is what I mean about the negativity by some people about SC is motivated by their politics.

Primarily white conservative voters in SC have elected one of only 3 black senators in the country and an Indian woman won two elections. College football and basketball which are majority black athletes are popular in SC. But he is characterizing conservative southerners as bigots.

He tries to associate lack of education with being pro life but there are physicians, engineers, teachers, etc who are pro life.

A lot of conservative natives has at least one parent or grandparent that did not grow up in SC or other southern states. All the 'New South' cities had more conservative transplants from other areas of the country and that's when the south shifted away from segregation support.

Most of the Dem-dominated areas of the state are not very nice places. I do like the fact that in some locales, political party affiliation is not allowed at election time.

I didn't know much about the South until we moved to this great state. I love it here and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else, the Upstate is an incredible mix of communities, people, etc.

What I've learned is there were millions of blacks and whites across the South who were disenfranchised to a terrible degree, at one time. Seems like things started to change when the economy shifted, people moved north, electricity came to the rural South, military bases were built, and other factors played into moving the South away from being largely an American backwater. Rich people, owners of large amounts of land, the judiciary, etc., ruled over many folks' lives with an iron fist, i think, and it started to change by WW iI, and much of that life was eradicated or in the process of being eradicated by the 60's.

Tim Scott is one of the best senators we have in this country, we also had Nikki Haley as a governor. So I beg to differ with people who claim the state has some kind of major problem with racism. Many whites and blacks were practically living and working cheek-to-jowel during the Jim Crow-era, of course there would be friction and occasional violence, economics plays into that and Jim Crow was partly an economic apartheid. The politicians were enabled by court decisions to use a racial agenda to keep the status-quo, while simultaneously flat-out denying economic opportunities to both blacks and whites.

When all that changed, private investment flowed in and the walls of segregation came crumbling down.

In modern times the North is the most segregated part of the country, a lot of people there intend on keeping it that way, too.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
I seem to notice a lot hate towards this state, through pretty much all ranking websites.. Now that doesnt throw me too much since those websites dont usually show the whole picture..

With that being said, they seem to mostly complain about high crime, low income/high poverty and one even said lack of scenery!

Do you ever notice any of this? Would you say it's TRUE or blown out of proportion? Thanks
People hate on SC just like they hate on the other 49 states. Some justified, some not. Objective or subjective, rankings are just rankings. Star Wars: Force Awakens is the #1 movie at the box office, doesn't mean it's actually the best SW movie (it's not).

It's all subjective. There's plenty parts of SC that do lack scenery. You're hanging out in Saluda, Chesterfield, or Bamberg County, what are you supposed to look at? Same can be said for the other 49 states. Most of California is not the Pacific Coast Highway and most of Florida is not what you see in postcards. I'd say most of every state is ugly actually. Colorado is probably the most beautiful state I've been to and it's still like 40% flat prairie land.

SC does well in some areas and doesn't do so well in others, but the state as a whole isn't a blanket. Same goes for the other 49. Right now SC is growing and the future looks bright. With better leadership it'd be even brighter, but SC is still trending up rather than down. People will never be completely satisfied ranking things.

Doesn't mean some rankings aren't true - and we can't keep using "well this part of the state drags the rest down" as an excuse either: no part of the state should be THAT bad, but you shouldn't be relying on rankings for validation. Deciding to get up and move to Nebraska because US News ranked it the "9th best state" is a pretty stupid thing to do, and I don't think that's something most people actually do. Don't look that hard into it.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:35 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
People hate on SC just like they hate on the other 49 states. Some justified, some not. Objective or subjective, rankings are just rankings. Star Wars: Force Awakens is the #1 movie at the box office, doesn't mean it's actually the best SW movie (it's not).

It's all subjective. There's plenty parts of SC that do lack scenery. You're hanging out in Saluda, Chesterfield, or Bamberg County, what are you supposed to look at? Same can be said for the other 49 states. Most of California is not the Pacific Coast Highway and most of Florida is not what you see in postcards. I'd say most of every state is ugly actually. Colorado is probably the most beautiful state I've been to and it's still like 40% flat prairie land.

SC does well in some areas and doesn't do so well in others, but the state as a whole isn't a blanket. Same goes for the other 49. Right now SC is growing and the future looks bright. With better leadership it'd be even brighter, but SC is still trending up rather than down. People will never be completely satisfied ranking things.

Doesn't mean some rankings aren't true - and we can't keep using "well this part of the state drags the rest down" as an excuse either: no part of the state should be THAT bad, but you shouldn't be relying on rankings for validation. Deciding to get up and move to Nebraska because US News ranked it the "9th best state" is a pretty stupid thing to do, and I don't think that's something most people actually do. Don't look that hard into it.
I’ve long wondered if those cheesy “state ranking” websites haven’t had something to do with the massive migration we’ve seen across the country in the past 20 years.
It seems it used to be that people moved due to work and opportunity and now I’m finding more people moving places almost completely randomly as if they just threw a dart at a map. The most common reason I find people claiming they moved to here is due to “weather and taxes” as if that is a recent realization. Or perhaps is just the proliferation of information in general due to the internet.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:59 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I’ve long wondered if those cheesy “state ranking” websites haven’t had something to do with the massive migration we’ve seen across the country in the past 20 years.
It seems it used to be that people moved due to work and opportunity and now I’m finding more people moving places almost completely randomly as if they just threw a dart at a map. The most common reason I find people claiming they moved to here is due to “weather and taxes” as if that is a recent realization. Or perhaps is just the proliferation of information in general due to the internet.
I see work as the #1 reason people move somewhere, along with retirement, and to be closer to family. A lot of people are moving south to retire because theres entire cities being built just for them. The weather in the south really isn't that amazing, but the south having nice and sunny weather vs the north always being cold and grey has basically become a meme. The only places I feel people move to just because for it to have a sizable impact is Los Angeles, NYC, and Miami. I don't see why someone would move to Greenville just because.

And that's what I dont understand about these rankings. Yes SC has cheaper taxes, but also has fewer services. Many places lack a sidewalk. Yeah CT may have superior education, yet there's no opportunity in Hartford right now. It's one thing or the other.

I think regional/metro, and even city rankings are better. Easier to compare Atlanta with Charlotte than it is to compare all of GA with NC. State rankings are too broad. Texas is so large it's basically 5 different states in one. Houston and El Paso have absolutely nothing in common like Greenville and Columbia do. California as a whole beats out SC on education, but Charleston is more educated than every major city in California outside of the Bay Area.

I don't think people are taking state rankings religiously, but perceptions of states do play a big role. A lot of people may not be moving to Florida simply because it's Florida, but they are looking for jobs and retirement here because of what they think Florida is.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I see work as the #1 reason people move somewhere, along with retirement, and to be closer to family. A lot of people are moving south to retire because theres entire cities being built just for them. The weather in the south really isn't that amazing, but the south having nice and sunny weather vs the north always being cold and grey has basically become a meme. The only places I feel people move to just because for it to have a sizable impact is Los Angeles, NYC, and Miami. I don't see why someone would move to Greenville just because.

And that's what I dont understand about these rankings. Yes SC has cheaper taxes, but also has fewer services. Many places lack a sidewalk. Yeah CT may have superior education, yet there's no opportunity in Hartford right now. It's one thing or the other.

I think regional/metro, and even city rankings are better. Easier to compare Atlanta with Charlotte than it is to compare all of GA with NC. State rankings are too broad. Texas is so large it's basically 5 different states in one. Houston and El Paso have absolutely nothing in common like Greenville and Columbia do. California as a whole beats out SC on education, but Charleston is more educated than every major city in California outside of the Bay Area.

I don't think people are taking state rankings religiously, but perceptions of states do play a big role. A lot of people may not be moving to Florida simply because it's Florida, but they are looking for jobs and retirement here because of what they think Florida is.
I should mention that my anecdotes are from neighbors who have neither family here nor jobs. Some commute to other states for jobs. A lot work from home and can live anywhere. Florida is much warmer and tax friendlier. I just don’t get it.

As far as “lack of services” it really seems on par with everywhere else I’ve been. Sidewalks everywhere are a relatively newer concept outside major cities. The South has proliferated in the “master planned community” concepts like Daniel Island and Celebration. It’s not like old neighborhoods in Upstate New York all have sidewalks, golf cart paths, and subways.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:22 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Speaking as a Yankee (MA) that retired to SC, I wanted golf year round so that required mild weather and plenty of golf courses plus I wanted a low cost of living. I never cared that much for FL. To many old and complaining people. I wanted to stay east of the Mississippi River as that is where all my family is. What that really left me with was the coast of GA and SC so I retired to Charleston. I relocated to Lexington but that is another story.

As for the low cost of living, one of the major cost of living is taxation which directly related to services offered by the municipality/state. I agree SC offers a he!! of a lot less services thus is really not a good choice for those needing such. Sorry for them, but that is the way it is. You pay for what you get one way or another.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:21 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek, especially since one of your locations is Charleston, but it's simply not true that "SC is 49th in the country and the last to change about everything." Not sue what you're basing that off of but it sounds like more stereotyping. How are you measuring that this true? What states are high on your list? Which states aren't "backwards"? More substance please.
The poster you’re responding to is a drive by troll, just a friendly FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What's interesting is that despite the very important and pivotal role SC had in establishing the Confederacy and initiating the Civil War, it is one of the few Southern states whose state flag draws no symbolic or artistic inspirations from the Confederacy or any of its associated flags. After the war, many other Southern states adopted official state flags that incorporated Confederate symbolism whereas SC chose to preserve its Revolutionary War-inspired state flag.
I’ve never thought of our flag in this way but you’re right, that’s profound. I also like the bit of mystery in interpreting the crescent... does it depict the crescent moon or the protective armor worn around the neck by soldiers then? Or because of the shape of the S.C. militias hats? I think it’s been historically disproven to be the crescent moon, but it’s still cool IMO.

Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 AM

102 posts, read 47,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
I seem to notice a lot hate towards this state, through pretty much all ranking websites.. Now that doesnt throw me too much since those websites dont usually show the whole picture..

With that being said, they seem to mostly complain about high crime, low income/high poverty and one even said lack of scenery!

Do you ever notice any of this? Would you say it's TRUE or blown out of proportion? Thanks
It not that people might hates ur state, it just that, sometimes the way people behaves makes an outsiders hates that states or country, town, city. And yeah, I never hates south Calorina, though I've heard of the state bfore, but I planned on going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina