Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 11:09 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Agreed!

I could see the hate towards SC from NC in a historical perspective. SC was the super prosperous and wealthy colony in the 18th century. NC was a relative backwater. Although I don't see why they'd be mad now given the situation.

Hahaha! Florida hates itself...

Yeah Florida's self hate must be because of all the transplants..but they hate it but moved their by choice ...so bizarre ..the hate that hate produced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 11:18 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I agree!

But also thought this was interesting in the local Spartanburg news today
https://www.wspa.com/news/sc-state-f...al-design-yet/
We do have the best flag and most people outside of SC don't even know what it is...had interesting conversation with a guy on a flight once that thought that the Confederate flag was our state flag. He had it on his shirt and the flight was from DC to California so I I asked if he was from or visited SC. He said it was a gift and just a cool shirt. I think in part he had us confused with Mississippi which has it on theirs but still. Smh

Old 02-22-2020, 01:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
We do have the best flag and most people outside of SC don't even know what it is...had interesting conversation with a guy on a flight once that thought that the Confederate flag was our state flag. He had it on his shirt and the flight was from DC to California so I I asked if he was from or visited SC. He said it was a gift and just a cool shirt. I think in part he had us confused with Mississippi which has it on theirs but still. Smh
What's interesting is that despite the very important and pivotal role SC had in establishing the Confederacy and initiating the Civil War, it is one of the few Southern states whose state flag draws no symbolic or artistic inspirations from the Confederacy or any of its associated flags. After the war, many other Southern states adopted official state flags that incorporated Confederate symbolism whereas SC chose to preserve its Revolutionary War-inspired state flag.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:17 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What's interesting is that despite the very important and pivotal role SC had in establishing the Confederacy and initiating the Civil War, it is one of the few Southern states whose state flag draws no symbolic or artistic inspirations from the Confederacy or any of its associated flags. After the war, many other Southern states adopted official state flags that incorporated Confederate symbolism whereas SC chose to preserve its Revolutionary War-inspired state flag.
Your right. The current Palmetto flag was adopted on the eve of the Civil War by a hard core secessionist yet both symbols on the flag are from the Revolution. Both the crescent and the palmetto tree are symbols of war and resistance yet it’s perceived today more like a flag inspired by Jimmy Buffet. From a vexillology standpoint, it’s the most gorgeous flag in the union. It’s great branding. People know what the palmetto crescent is, but few people would recognize symbols of Nebraska or North Dakota.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:26 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah Florida's self hate must be because of all the transplants..but they hate it but moved their by choice ...so bizarre ..the hate that hate produced
As a former Floridian, I found that natives didn’t even know what their flag looked like. Transplants all complained it wasn’t New York or Jersey and consistently made fun of it despite conscientiously moving there. “It’s too hot” was a common phrase as if they didn’t know that before. The tristate area must have a terrible education system when it comes to geography.

As far as hating S.C. that’s news to me. I knew that S.C. always ranks low in click bait articles but everybody knows those articles are just from journalism majors with crappy grades that couldn’t get a real job at an actual news organization.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:52 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,858 times
One reason is places like myrtle beach with parking laws. NOW you must give your credit card number and car tag number (which identifies you) to the police in order JUST TO PARK YOUR FRIKKIN CAR so you can walk on the beach.......This is crazy

Old 02-23-2020, 11:19 AM

43,074 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
One reason is places like myrtle beach with parking laws. NOW you must give your credit card number and car tag number (which identifies you) to the police in order JUST TO PARK YOUR FRIKKIN CAR so you can walk on the beach.......This is crazy
Not really. It generates revenue for the city. NMB has this as well.
As a resident of NMB though I get 2 decals which allow me free parking at the beach lots.

"use taxes" seem more fair IMHO.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:37 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Most states if they were located in SC's spot would probably have toll roads in MB, Charleston and Hilton Head. Tourists put a lot of strain on our roads.

It is my understanding that a lot of the best beach areas in California is owned by rich people and not accessible by the public even for a fee.

I don't think SC has any private ownership of beaches.

Old 02-23-2020, 01:34 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
I have to admit. I am looking to relocate have taken SC off my radar because of all the negatives people say about the State. However, when my grandparents years ago lived in Lexington area was great memories. Then that all flooded back when I visited my Wife's family on Conway.

I don't see anything negative of the State. I think people are friendly! Definitely back on our radar.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I have to admit. I am looking to relocate have taken SC off my radar because of all the negatives people say about the State. However, when my grandparents years ago lived in Lexington area was great memories. Then that all flooded back when I visited my Wife's family on Conway.

I don't see anything negative of the State. I think people are friendly! Definitely back on our radar.
I’m way past worrying about what others think.

We are in Spartanburg and have the most wonderful neighbors and church. The downtown is booming with tons of restaurant choices, there are cultural events galore (the DC “elites” will look down on it but who cares), there are several colleges with drama, music etc and they offer adult education courses. We have a beautiful YMCA, garden clubs, a great library and so much more.

Shopping is not so great but we’re 40ish minutes to Greenville and 90ish minutes to Charlotte. I can get most things by internet anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina