Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:37 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times

Advertisements

moving from up north to S.C what to buy for winter wear ? what does everyone wear in the winter down there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:20 AM

163 posts, read 664,615 times
A medium-weight jacket ought to be sufficient on most days, with a sweater or hoodie.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoGuy View Post
A medium-weight jacket ought to be sufficient on most days, with a sweater or hoodie.

the reason i ask is we live where it's really cold in the winter up here and my wife was wondering how we should dress for the winter weather down there. does anyone wear winter boots there. she was trying to decide if we will need boots to wear. i see it get's pretty warm during the day so that's a plus.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
Depending on which area you will be living in, it can get COLD. I just moved from SC back to Ohio. There were days in SC, especially in January/February that were bitter cold. We lived in the Pee Dee Region. You will need a winter coat, I am sure. As far as boots, that would depend on you. We have got snow in the region, but it doesn't accumulate, but you would think the world was coming to an end. Everything gets shut down! People scramble for milk and bread when they think SNOW is coming. Some people do wear boots, but more for a fashion statement...not for snow.

Good luck in SC!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
Depending on which area you will be living in, it can get COLD. I just moved from SC back to Ohio. There were days in SC, especially in January/February that were bitter cold. We lived in the Pee Dee Region. You will need a winter coat, I am sure. As far as boots, that would depend on you. We have got snow in the region, but it doesn't accumulate, but you would think the world was coming to an end. Everything gets shut down! People scramble for milk and bread when they think SNOW is coming. Some people do wear boots, but more for a fashion statement...not for snow.

Good luck in SC!

we will be down around the sumter area. we currently live in upstate ny so we might not need to buy anything. but dw wanted to find out what everyone wears down there so she doesn't feel like an eskimo in the tropics , if you know what i mean.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 PM

113 posts, read 425,175 times
I live about an hour from Sumter, & I'm from Ohio. When we moved here in August, I brought some sweaters & my pea coat. When we went home to Ohio for Thanksgiving, I grabbed ALL of my sweaters & my heavy winter coat! There have been a few mornings that I would leave for work & it was in the upper 20's... it was cold! Most days I have a huge layer of frost on my car. I think recently because it's in the 50's (or something close to that) that the dew would fall, and then it would get cold & freeze to the car! So I've had to do lots of scraping lately! I'm glad I brought the scraper from Ohio! Ha ha. I've always been cold though. I do find that I wear sweaters almost every day. But then again, I am teaching in a school all day that's pretty cold & by the time I get out of school, the sun is almost ready to go down. Just bring all of your clothes, that way you're prepared!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:50 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
We were about 25 minutes away from Sumter. I think people get fooled because they think that winters down there are mild without snow. Since living back in Ohio, there actually were some days when we checked online and the weather was colder there than here! I am currently right on Lake Erie in the snow belt. Of course, there is no comparing when winter truly hits here.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
We were about 25 minutes away from Sumter. I think people get fooled because they think that winters down there are mild without snow. Since living back in Ohio, there actually were some days when we checked online and the weather was colder there than here! I am currently right on Lake Erie in the snow belt. Of course, there is no comparing when winter truly hits here.
i here ya about the snow belt. we'er trying to get away from it on the lake ontario end. it's snowed here for the last six days. i just don't want to shovel any more. winters are mild campared to up here where it get's to - 30 for a week or two at a time. so 20s 30s and 40s will be a nice change.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
weather is why we're heading down to SC; last year's 100+" of record snowfall ( and Madison isn't a recipient of lake effect snow ) was the final nail. And when the am's are in the single digits, it ain't gonna go up much higher then that.
From what i've seen watching weather there each day, mornings have been in 30's and days in 50's. I'm sure that seems very cold after the long summers; but as any of the northerners could attest to-- drifts of snow to the roof of the car, or windchills -40 below....... that is nasty winter weather.
I'll venture a guess--it's easy to tell the first time SC'ers in winter, when the locals may be bundled up, while the 'newbies' maybe put on a sweatshirt...

Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
weather is why we're heading down to SC; last year's 100+" of record snowfall ( and Madison isn't a recipient of lake effect snow ) was the final nail. And when the am's are in the single digits, it ain't gonna go up much higher then that.
From what i've seen watching weather there each day, mornings have been in 30's and days in 50's. I'm sure that seems very cold after the long summers; but as any of the northerners could attest to-- drifts of snow to the roof of the car, or windchills -40 below....... that is nasty winter weather.
I'll venture a guess--it's easy to tell the first time SC'ers in winter, when the locals may be bundled up, while the 'newbies' maybe put on a sweatshirt...

SC has a subtropical climate, modified by elevation in the piedmont and narrow mountain strip. Summer (vs winter in the North) is the "mean" season. The afternoon t'storms of summer seem to be a source of frustration and consternation to many who grew-up in a Continental climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina