Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN5147 View Post
That my friends captures the attitude of SC residents. They fail to admit that this discriminatory tax law was passed after most non-residents had purchased property. Their goal is to have NRs pay all of their taxes. Again, the residents pay ZERO in their property taxes to support school operations. Non-residents and investors pay for that cost in their property taxes. The residents have no "skin in the game".
Then you'll find all other states equally discriminatory as you claim. Other states charge more taxes for non-occupied homes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
That my friends captures the attitude of SC residents. They fail to admit that this discriminatory tax law was passed after most non-residents had purchased property. Their goal is to have NRs pay all of their taxes. Again, the residents pay ZERO in their property taxes to support school operations. Non-residents and investors pay for that cost in their property taxes. The residents have no "skin in the game".
Those residing here had nothing to do with that rebate being passed. That was our legislature and they don't always do the right thing by all of their constituents. And what's this; "tax law was passed after most non-residents had purchased property" I got news for you non-residents are still buying property in this state well after this change in the tax law. People sell property all of the time because of high taxes; look at New England or Chicago. If you think you are being taken advantage of in this situation you are free to sell anytime you like!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 AM

71 posts, read 312,464 times
Default Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Then you'll find all other states equally discriminatory as you claim. Other states charge more taxes for non-occupied homes as well.
Name them.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Name them.
Seriously?? Almost every other state has homestead exemptions. If it's not your primary residence, you're paying more in property taxes. This is pretty common knowledge, you know. Examples??

Here, I'll give the first few that popped up on Google - Georgia, Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Michigan (they also don't pay for schools - just the business and 2nd home owners), New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Connecticut.

Oh here, you go, I found a link listing them all. Primary residences almost always get a tax break. So stop acting like South Carolina is something so out of the ordinary. Real Estate Questions and Answers

Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
They also don't want to pay for repairs and regular maintenance on their schools. When I lived in SC, a bill was brought forth to add a tax to all homeowner's to help fund the schools and it was shot down by 70% of the voters. Heaven forbid the people sending their kids to the schools actually pay a dime for those schools!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Here, I'll give the first few that popped up on Google - Georgia, Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Michigan (they also don't pay for schools - just the business and 2nd home owners), New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Connecticut.
NY does NOT have a homestead exemption! NY has a STAR reduction on School taxes based on your income and age. It does NOT say residents pay ZERO in school taxes. Nice try though. Everyone who owns property in NY PAYS school taxes unlike SC!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
NY does NOT have a homestead exemption! NY has a STAR reduction on School taxes based on your income and age. It does NOT say residents pay ZERO in school taxes. Nice try though. Everyone who owns property in NY PAYS school taxes unlike SC!
Didn't say that. They have a homestead exemption. That was my claim - stop trying to read into something I didn't say. I did, however, point out how Michigan also doesn't pay for the schools. Second homeowners and businesses pay there too.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
They also don't want to pay for repairs and regular maintenance on their schools. When I lived in SC, a bill was brought forth to add a tax to all homeowner's to help fund the schools and it was shot down by 70% of the voters. Heaven forbid the people sending their kids to the schools actually pay a dime for those schools!
Now you're trolling - best of luck to you in some other state.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Now you're trolling - best of luck to you in some other state.
Nope. Not trolling. I lived in SC. I still own a home there as a matter of fact.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Didn't say that. They have a homestead exemption. That was my claim - stop trying to read into something I didn't say. I did, however, point out how Michigan also doesn't pay for the schools. Second homeowners and businesses pay there too.
There's a difference in what a homestead exemption means in different areas of the country:

From Wiki:
Homestead exemption is a legal regime designed to protect the value of the homes of residents from property taxes, creditors, and circumstances arising from the death of the homeowner spouse. Laws are found in state statutes or constitutional provisions which exist in many states in the United States. The homestead exemption in certain southern states has its legal origins in colonial Spanish exemption laws. Exemption laws in other states were enacted in response to the effects of economic depressions in the nineteenth century.

This lists some states with homestead exemptions. However, SC is not on this list as is is only examples.

Homestead exemption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This website lists out the actual homestead exemptions for each state. The school taxes are not actual homestead exemptions under the eyes of the law. They have another name. It usually varies from state to state as well.

Real Estate Questions and Answers

If Michigan has a similar law to SC whereas the second homeowners and businesses pay the school taxes, then I have the same feelings towards them. It's not right to charge the people who are NOT using the services. When you order dinner at a restaurant, you pay for your meal not the meal of everyone in the restaurant. Same concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina