Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Was once a northerner (NYC) who was living in SC. From a northerners perspective I can say to those who are interested in moving from north to south get ready! As others have already said the southerners love to chat and in my opinion not just to be friendly like some claim. They want to pry and find out your personal business. Oh BTW the smaller the SC town the worse it is....they love to gossip. Now keep in mind also that this love of gossip conflicts with most northerners upbringing.....here in the north we become annoyed when asked our personal business. Get used to it if moving south....they have no shame about asking personal questions and they do not respect privacy......tell them anything personal and expect that your personal business will be tomorrows gossip!

The other thing that a northerner should understand and learn to accept if moving south......many southerners do not believe in using their turning signals on the car....they like to slam on the brakes and turn at the last minute without warning. Also feel that if a northerner can avoid mentioning that they are from the north then they may have a better shot at blending in to their new surroundings....the minute many southerners find out you are from NYC, Chicago, New Jersey some have a tendency to form premature opinions based usually on a stereotype of what they think a northerner is like.
I HATE it when people do that. I also hate those stupid tailgaters too. The left lane exists for a reason. It's called the passing lane. Use it and quit tailgating me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
Im hoping to make the move to SC,hopefully fitting in wont be a issue.
Lived in small towns,country and medium sized cities all my life,Im christian and..
Pretty conservative.Lived many places but never the NE.
Im the hold the door open for ladies type.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:50 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeAngel View Post
Hi I am a native South Carolinian. I think this topic is a great idea for Yankees to adjust to their new environment when coming down here. Now I want this post to be in order of things that I think are most important to least important concerning Yankees moving to the south. Some of my northern neighbors still haven't gotten used to how we do things down here. You have to be either a native or a person with southern roots to feel that this is your standing ground. We are very family-orientated and we like traditional American values.

First of, the South is like a different country compared to Northerners who come down here. Yankees that I've met have told me this themselves. Everything we do is slower: we talk slow (definitely), walk slow, and we love to chat. Please don't get frustrated when the line in a grocery store is moving too slow for you, we like our way of life. Remember, you moved down here and you must be willing to adjust to another culture that is different from where you came from. Please don't whine when you come down here. Saying that "Back up north, we did this why" "Why can't I get any good Italian food?" and so on and so forth. If you are going to complain about our beloved Southland you are free to go back up north where you will be happy.

Yes, most of us southerners are religious. The south isn't called the Bible Belt for nothing. Church is important in our daily lives because we grew up going to church on Sunday mornings and afternoons and church is like a place to meet new people for relocated yankees. Even if you are not Christian, it is worth going to church to meet new folks and getting used to the folks of your new southern town. People ask what church do you go to here because it is how we get to know you better. Please do not get offended if someone invites you to their church, it's worth going and you can meet new potential friends! You really have nothing to lose! And remember we say grace before we eat so remember that when you eat in another southerners in their home or in public. Also we have treat others with respect. It is not uncommon to for men to open doors for women, kids (and everyone else for that matter) to refer to you as M'am or Sir, we say "Please" and "Thank you", people waving at you, and helping you out when your car breaks down or just simply stopping to see if there is anything that they could help you with. So don't be shocked if any of the mannerisms that I described happen to you. It is just apart our culture.

Hunting and fishing is popular in the south. Though I don't really care for it, my husband loves fishing lol. If you grew up in a city area why not give it a try? You might just like it and find a new hobby.

Also it is hot and humid down here. It doesn't really bother me as I am used to it. Some transplants feel that it is overwhelming but they will more than likely eventually get used to the weather down here. We don't get much snow, and if we do everything is closed down. Please don't laugh at us, we just aren't used to dealing with huge amounts of snow.

And that is all I could think of right now. Those are the first complaints from yankee transplants when they move down here, from my experience. But I agree with the poster who said that a northerner from rural area would have a better time adjusting to the south then a northerner who came from one of those northern cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc. But whatever the case I hope any northerners who read this and are moving to the south learn to appreciate our wonderful culture and way of life.

God Bless.
I agree with almost everything you said except two big things.
1) Hunting and fishing are big everywhere, not just the South. "The North" can be very rural too.

2) Religion. Yes, it is important to certain Southerners. Those being Southern Baptists and other evangelical denominations. Chuches do form the social center of places where you have a large evangelical population instead of social clubs and service organizations. However, the "What church do you attend?" question is extremely off-putting to people who aren't used to that culture, even if they do attend church. It's like asking how much money they make when you first meet. Religion, or lack thereof, is very personal to many and there is no need to share outside of their close circle. Asking seems like you are judging. And let's face it that you are, even if not intentionally.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:50 PM

13 posts, read 14,024 times
some rules of living in the south. first. we don't care how you done it up north. the south is more laid back.but don't every let the laid back way fool you. don't make fun of the way they talk.it helps if you like football. they take there football very serious.never forget. your in the bible belt. they may tell you there Christians. but there kind of christian is differnt. in south they only use the bible when it fits them.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,707 times
Always start a sentence with "sir" or "ma'am"
Stand when Dixie is played.
Learn that the second person plural is "y'all"
Forget about how y'all did something up north. We don't care.
Understand that "sweet tea" is Regular tea
Buy a gun. Better yet, buy several, and learn how to use them.
There are two starches: Rice and grits. You will eat one of them with every meal.
Understand that Bar-b-que is not the same as cooking outside. BBQ is pulled pork with mustard sauce, served with rice, hash, cole slaw, and hush puppies.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM

12,914 posts, read 18,761,054 times
They can open their mouths a little more when they say y'all.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 14,666 times
I agree with you. Just about every person I've seen from New Jersey are rude. Even us New Yorkers can't stand them. Even T.V. shows talk about how rude they are. I'm from a small town in upstate ny (Don't blink or you'll miss it as you go through) and I hate rude people. If I'm out shopping and I hold a door open for someone and they don't say thank you I'll still say your welcome so they know what they should have said. Thats why I love South Carolina. Everybody is polite and easy going. I was born in Florida but not big on that state cause their rude too. Can't wait to be in a state where people know how to treat people and neighbors help each other like we do in our small town. People call us country bumpkins. I'll take being a country bumpkin over a rude city s--thead anyday.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
While I have not read all posts, nor do I intend to, the best way to get used to/accepted in a new place is to pay attention/understand how they do things, smile, keep your mouth shut, put on your big girl panties and accept this is my new place, and never, ever say things like..yes...but in..so and so ..this is how we did/do it so and so place.

If all the above fails...or eludes you...get out and go back to so and so....LOL

Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Hmmmmm. We tried that once. It didn't end well.
Thank you for the laugh!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 21,259 times
I think people move from north to south because we are around so many people from different parts of the world. So we don't really believe all the false stereo types about other places. I think people from the south watch television and the news and believe that is what the north is like. People from the north have something good to share and good things to learn from the south. If you move north you will be welcome with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina