Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times

Advertisements

I've been in the south for 30 years, but I haven't given up my northern roots and I do just fine. Unless you move to a small town you won't have any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:37 PM

16 posts, read 80,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I've been in the south for 30 years, but I haven't given up my northern roots and I do just fine. Unless you move to a small town you won't have any problems.
Thanks, I guess that helps a little bit but I am still skeptical though.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post
Thanks, I guess that helps a little bit but I am still skeptical though.
Speaking for Richland County (Columbia), there are almost as many people that live here from other parts of the country as there are southerners; there's no need to fear.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Ok, I'm speechless here...
I'm a little speechless after reading the post above you, CaseyB.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM

CJP05 (In response to your previous post)

How hypocritical is that? I mean haven't you people ever heard of you get waht you give? Just saying... I know I will never forget nor forgive a mean joke about the north IF I DO DECIDE TO MOVE THERE(which I may not after all this crap I am reading about US northerners on this board).

That's your issue right there - refering to us as "you people".

We weren't raised to say "yes sir/ma'am OR no sir ma'am" in the north and I just wish you would respect us. Why is it that OUR culture/beliefs/solutions are viewed as WRONG with southerners? I mean I really wanted to move south for some reasons which I don't need to mention, but NOW I am not so sure I want to if I am going to be forced to give up my way of doing things/culture/beliefs and frowned up for having them. Is it really fair is waht I am asking for US northerners to have to give up WHO WE ARE? I think NOT!
It all depends where you're from b/c here in NY state we call it the CIVIL WAR. I would also say that it's more "politically correct" saying it too.

That's your second issue right there - talking about the civil war. While I am VERY PROUD to be southern, I am also grateful that we have the traditions that we have. Saying "yes ma'am" and "no sir" is what we were taught to do for many generations. It's called respect. However, if you chose not to use this when addressing someone, then that's fine. It's just the way things are. I teach my children to do that to their elders and others. It's not fair to have to break tradition just because someone doesn't believe in it.
And it's just like I said before - we hold our traditions to our hearts.

After all of this talk of "having to assimilate" and giving up my beliefs/culture/solutions to problems/history and for WHERE I CAME FROM ALTOGETHER I just get the feeling that I would never get accepted down south which is kinda a shame that things have to be that way. I mean come on people let's move on to the 21st century and stop acting like its the Civil War/Reconstruction still. GEEZ, so much hostility towards the north/south. Can't we PLEASE all just get along finally. Maybe if the south hates everyone else so much you all should just leave the Union all over again b/c that is not very united IMHO! Sorry to offend anyone at all on any of this, but it's just really frustrating and hurtful to be treated like this, and I know b/c of being part black/legally blind I won't get accepted very well down there anyways huh?

Listen, I don't want to seem rude or anything so please do not assume that. You are possibly moving into OUR state. Again I say to you that you have to respect our traditions and our heritage. If I were to move where you live tomorrow, wouldn't you expect the same of me? I'd have to adjust no matter what because it's how I would survive and adapt there.
Do you understand that?
I love all people. I go to a church where I worship with northerners, as well as southerners. It's not a big issue because their accent is different than mine. As a matter of fact, I love hearing stories about what it was like growing up for them living in another state and having different traditions. I love getting their imput on certain areas of life, religion, etc. As long as anyone that walks this earth is respectful to me, I am respectful to them.
You have to give to receive.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 AM

16 posts, read 80,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
And it's just like I said before - we hold our traditions to our hearts.

Listen, I don't want to seem rude or anything so please do not assume that. You are possibly moving into OUR state. Again I say to you that you have to respect our traditions and our heritage. If I were to move where you live tomorrow, wouldn't you expect the same of me? I'd have to adjust no matter what because it's how I would survive and adapt there.
Do you understand that?
I love all people. I go to a church where I worship with northerners, as well as southerners. It's not a big issue because their accent is different than mine. As a matter of fact, I love hearing stories about what it was like growing up for them living in another state and having different traditions. I love getting their imput on certain areas of life, religion, etc. As long as anyone that walks this earth is respectful to me, I am respectful to them.
You have to give to receive.
Well, some of us northerners also hold our traditions close too you know. Also we have had some southerners here in my city(Batavia, NY)which is a small place and we don't really mind you keeping your traditions b/c for the most part people don't care and can be really friendly to new comers b/c of the snese of I guess you could say community. We are really proud of where we come from I woudl say in this area of the state and have a HUGE hometown feel here. I am just saying that I only expect the same from other people I meet as I wouldn't expect them to change who they are just b/c they moved to another state. You know if you try to "really truly" get to know a lot of us that aren't from NYC you will see that we have more similarities than differences and maybe you should come see how we really live b/c in some ways it is kinda the same as the south you know.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
The only people we called sir or mam up north were really old people. So when my southern gf met my dad, she called him sir. My dad didn't like it too much because to him it was actually disrespectful.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
I think we relocating New Yorkers should take being called a yankees with a grain of salt and not personally. We are yankees and for the most part I don't think most people really hate us for it. They just hate the way yankees treat each other and many true southerners. Also we should assimilate as much as possible. Most of us are not going back to New York and South Carolina is going to be our home.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp05 View Post
Well, some of us northerners also hold our traditions close too you know. Also we have had some southerners here in my city(Batavia, NY)which is a small place and we don't really mind you keeping your traditions b/c for the most part people don't care and can be really friendly to new comers b/c of the snese of I guess you could say community. We are really proud of where we come from I woudl say in this area of the state and have a HUGE hometown feel here. I am just saying that I only expect the same from other people I meet as I wouldn't expect them to change who they are just b/c they moved to another state. You know if you try to "really truly" get to know a lot of us that aren't from NYC you will see that we have more similarities than differences and maybe you should come see how we really live b/c in some ways it is kinda the same as the south you know.
It's really not as big of a deal as you are making it to be. Notherners have been moving down here for years now. We must offer something good here because they keep on moving. And I think that you will find once you come that fitting in is really easy. People do take certain things with a grain of salt when said.
Now driving on the highways is a totally different story......lol!
Just relax.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I think we relocating New Yorkers should take being called a yankees with a grain of salt and not personally. We are yankees and for the most part I don't think most people really hate us for it. They just hate the way yankees treat each other and many true southerners. Also we should assimilate as much as possible. Most of us are not going back to New York and South Carolina is going to be our home.
Even southerners are yankees. Just ask anyone from the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina