Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 PM

22 posts, read 54,738 times

Advertisements

Husband is in the medical field, and looking for a position in the area.....I was curious about the small towns, surrounding Yankton. Would you recommend renting, or buying? Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
yankton itself is a very nice area in my opinion by eastern south dakota standards. However the towns nearby are nothing special. Basically Sioux Falls and Sioux City... not much reason to go to the other towns. Anything else you'll find in Yankton. There's a number of parks and more forested areas then you'll find anywhere else in the region along the river on both sides. You can always check out Vermillion if you're bored and don't want to drive too far. Yankton is the best mid sized town in the eastern size of the state, imo.

Buy if you're going to stay awhile, rent if you're not. Probably not as helpful as you would like. I'm sure others can chime in. May as well live in Yankton itself, not a small town nearby.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-01-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
where are you now? I lived in Vermillion for just over a year. My hubby was there many years. The only hospital of any size is in Sioux Falls, which is a very neat town in my opinion. Yankton is very small, only about 3 decent resturants, and some fast food places. In my opinion it has lil too nothing of real interests there or near there. I also lived in Freeman, a small town outside Yankton, it is the pitts. If you have kids, live in Sioux Falls. They will thank you for it.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 AM

193 posts, read 677,514 times
Yankton area has some beautiful places. You've probably already been to the city site, but I found these things interesting:
Yankton, SD - Sites & Attractions
http://www.djssportsrentals.com/
http://www.google.com/search?q=yankt...w=1366&bih=665

Of course, any place is what you prefer and what you make it. I have always found Yankton interesting
The only small town I know near there is Irene, which is a very nice little town. Small towns in South Dakota (for the most part) are all pretty safe, small, and much similar.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raean View Post
Yankton area has some beautiful places. You've probably already been to the city site, but I found these things interesting:
Yankton, SD - Sites & Attractions
Welcome to DJ'S!!
yankton sd photos - Google Search

Of course, any place is what you prefer and what you make it. I have always found Yankton interesting
The only small town I know near there is Irene, which is a very nice little town. Small towns in South Dakota (for the most part) are all pretty safe, small, and much similar.
Vermillion is about 20 mi wwest of Yankton, there is a hospital there, as well as in Yankton. Yankton also has a portion of the prison system there. There is a small hospital in Freeman, about 30 miles so. of Yankton. On the interstate So.to Sioux City there is Elk? S.D. very small, Sioux City, didn't care for areas near interstate, but the hospital was very nice, and the area near there. On the interstate ot Sioux Falls, you'll pass Beresford, very small, a couple small towns, Tea, extremely small bedroom community. Sioux Falls has nice large hospital.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Vermillion is about 20 mi wwest of Yankton, there is a hospital there, as well as in Yankton. Yankton also has a portion of the prison system there. There is a small hospital in Freeman, about 30 miles so. of Yankton. On the interstate So.to Sioux City there is Elk? S.D. very small, Sioux City, didn't care for areas near interstate, but the hospital was very nice, and the area near there. On the interstate ot Sioux Falls, you'll pass Beresford, very small, a couple small towns, Tea, extremely small bedroom community. Sioux Falls has nice large hospital.
First, Yankton is west of Vermillion not the other way around.

Freeman is north of Yankton

Yankton is 30 miles from I-29 if you turn right you south towards Iowa. You are thinking of Elk Point. If you turn left you will end up in Sioux Falls. Tea is proximate to Sioux Falls.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM

You are so right, I am completely turned around. Thank goodness for maps. Thanks for correcting me.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You are so right, I am completely turned around. Thank goodness for maps. Thanks for correcting me.
No problem. 20 miles east of Vermillion puts you in Iowa that is never a good thing.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Lol

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

56 posts, read 224,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjoth View Post
Husband is in the medical field, and looking for a position in the area.....I was curious about the small towns, surrounding Yankton. Would you recommend renting, or buying? Any information is appreciated.

The hospital in Yankton is on the smaller side, but part of the Avera health system headquartered in Sioux Falls. Housing in Yankton is on the expensive side for the area, due to the attraction of the Missouri River reservoir just west of town. There are several smaller towns within a half hour drive of Yankton: Vermillion and Gayville to the east, Irene, Wakonda, Volin to the northeast, Crofton, NE south, Tyndall and Tabor west. Other than Vermillion, which houses one of the state universities, housing is very inexpensive in the small towns. Of course, they're also all between about 500-1500 population, so not a lot going on and potentially not much inventory of housing available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota