Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:18 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times

Advertisements

Taxes by State

OK, their site is up and running again. I like that one best.

Eric, that looks like another interesting site. I'm going to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 9,742 times
Okay, this is just depressing... my grandmother lives in Scotland. I was THERE, visiting her awhile back. I was THAT close to a kuchen supplier, and I had no idea. Woe is me!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

473 posts, read 1,702,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
I'm sure you can find solid facts comparing the two, but I'll tell you my perceptions... I think ND feels more isolated - even East River - than SD. And after spending the weekend before Christmas in Fargo, I can tell you it is often quite a bit colder!

It also seems like ND has fewer trees and seems even flatter than SD, though this is probably just perception again.

Fargo does have a lot going on - just about every store and chain restaurant you can think of - and there's a lot of activity there.

One easy way to tell if someone's from ND? They call it "Nortdakota."
There was a movie about Fargo forgot what the title was. It perceived Fargo as very boring.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Most sites I have seen in regards to all combined tax burdens then evaluating income put SD as one of the most affordable.
Average home prices vary greatly from town to town based on desirability and income scenery etc. -
In the last 12 months the Median Price in the Northern Black Hills is approx. 150k while the average is approx 165k. A "good home" in a "good neighborhood" is hugely subject to opinion, but IMO the 165k # would be the starting point for what you describe in my area and for what I know of Rapid City that would be close as well.
Those prices are absolutely affordable compared to the San Fancisco Bay area or anywhere in CA.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,290 times
The $150K-$165K is similar to Sioux Falls. A person can get a decent house in a decent area in Sioux Falls for $130K, but those houses go quickly. A person would get more for their money buying a comparable house in Tea or Harrisburg than in Sioux Falls, likely due to lower land costs, developer fees, and less red tape with building a home.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
The $150K-$165K is similar to Sioux Falls. A person can get a decent house in a decent area in Sioux Falls for $130K, but those houses go quickly. A person would get more for their money buying a comparable house in Tea or Harrisburg than in Sioux Falls, likely due to lower land costs, developer fees, and less red tape with building a home.
Sounds great and very reasonable pricing.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
brookings and sioux falls have more expensive real estate, but if you're willing to commute, there's a buffer zone in between, which includes egan, colman, and flandreau, which have affordable houses and lower property taxes.. though if I was buying a new house I'd suck it up and buy closer to town. I'd only go out of town for older houses.. even old houses in brookings.. you won't get much under about $80k.

Also, Arlington if you prefer to be closer to the lakes as opposed to closer to sioux falls.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
brookings and sioux falls have more expensive real estate, but if you're willing to commute, there's a buffer zone in between, which includes egan, colman, and flandreau, which have affordable houses and lower property taxes.. though if I was buying a new house I'd suck it up and buy closer to town. I'd only go out of town for older houses.. even old houses in brookings.. you won't get much under about $80k.

Also, Arlington if you prefer to be closer to the lakes as opposed to closer to sioux falls.
Are you saying there are homes now or old for $80,000?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Interesting, about half of my ancestors have German-Russian roots. My Dad's side settled by Freeman and mom's side up by the Eureka, SD and Wishek, ND areas. The area mentioned is not too far from where my mom's side settled. Kind of a small world.

Known areas of German-Russians include areas up by Eureka, Leola, and areas between Aberdeen and Mobridge and areas by Freeman, Marion, and Menno. There is a number of Mennonites in that area. Kuchen is a popular dessert that has German Russian roots.

In my part of South Dakota, near the Sioux Falls area in Lincoln County, the area was settled by Germans by Lennox and Tea with a few Norwegians to the south. Down by Canton, lot of Scandinavians (Swedes and Norwegians) settle there. In the Canton area and areas further south and east in Iowa, there is a Dutch presence. There are Dutch who have settled by Platte.

Sioux Falls has traditionally had a presence of German, Norwegian, and Irish. North of Sioux Falls had a lot of Norwegian settlers.

Often, there a quite a bit of Lutheran churches where there are Germans and Scandinavians, Catholic churches with some German, Czech, and Irish, and Reformed churches where lot of Dutch have settled.

Kind of interesting where groups settled in South Dakota and elsewhere.
That's really interesting to know, because I often wondered where the Dutch bit of my ancestry came from considering my family history is mainly English, Irish and German.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:56 PM

21 posts, read 22,618 times
OK, your forum encourages people to reopen these old threads and this one has been helpful to me.
Are any of the posters on this thread still available? Chris19, stingray, sholomar, jammie and others here? I have some questions if so. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota