Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I dunno. I'm still thinking about it. Wasn't it four years ago that we voted on it? The national news did say that the country would be watching to see how this vote turns out.

Where I'm torn is that I have NO idea when life actually starts. Maybe at conception, maybe not. I honestly don't know.
Scientifically speaking, life begins at conception. Even though I am against abortion I do believe in condoms and birth control. Condoms prevent the joining of the two cells from happening and birth control prevents the cells from attaching. However, once the cells are joined and reproduction of cells begins it is life. That should not be stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 PM

464 posts, read 1,355,795 times
See, I don't know, I just don't see a baby that isn't developed enough to live on its' own outside the womb, even with medical intervention, I have a hard time seeing that as a "life".

But I will never vote for something allowing the Government to tell me I can't abort a baby if I've been raped. Men cannot and will not ever understand that. (yes I realize the govt isn't all men)

I also have a problem with #11 because a doctor that feels that a woman could die unless an abortion is performed, could face prosecution and lose their license to practice. That's just wrong.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
I'm going to bashed for this...but so be it... I think religion is playing a major role in this, and I feel that religion and government should be 2 seperate things.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1986 View Post
i'm going to bashed for this...but so be it... I think religion is playing a major role in this, and i feel that religion and government should be 2 seperate things.
totally agree!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnat View Post
But I will never vote for something allowing the Government to tell me I can't abort a baby if I've been raped. Men cannot and will not ever understand that. (yes I realize the govt isn't all men)
This bill gives an exception for rape and incest. The previously introduced bill did not and voters demanded a much more lax bill. This is that bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
I'm going to bashed for this...but so be it... I think religion is playing a major role in this, and I feel that religion and government should be 2 seperate things.
I agree whole-heartedly that religion and government should never be intertwined. However, this is not necessarily a religious issue as much as it is a moral issue. I do not think that the taking of life can be done to any human other than for immediate self-defense. Sure, people tie religion in with this issue and that just annoys me. It doesn't have to be that way.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM

I don't care that there are "exceptions" this time. If this passes, in a couple years they'll try to make it more strict. No one should be able to tell me what I can or cannot do with my body.
No, abortion should NOT be a form of birth control. I agree with that. But I don't want my options taken away from me, because of some irresponsible sluts.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 PM

One thing that I don't understand is why this is such a huge issue in South Dakota. There is only one abortion clinic in the entire state, in Sioux Falls, and the abortionist has to fly in from Minneapolis once a week to perform scheduled abortions. Most South Dakotans go out of state for an abortion. The closest abortion clinics to Rapid City are in Boulder and Denver which are over 4 hours away.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM

415 posts, read 972,758 times
Well bash me all ya want on this one, WHO THE HELL ARE WE TO TELL SOMEONE WHAT THEY CAN AND CAN"T DO WITH THEIR OWN BODY. Wether we like it or not, who the hell are we. The ladies body, the ladies right to decide. Screw Morality or what have ya, theres nothing moral about half the stuff the guvment gets away with anyway. I'm not saying I am for abortion (my wife just found out she is preggo and we really can't afford it right now at this moment but I will make ends meet) but who the heck are you to say what a woman can do with her own damn body. Its up to the woman, and the man is she is with one.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Well bash me all ya want on this one, WHO THE HELL ARE WE TO TELL SOMEONE WHAT THEY CAN AND CAN"T DO WITH THEIR OWN BODY. Wether we like it or not, who the hell are we. The ladies body, the ladies right to decide. Screw Morality or what have ya, theres nothing moral about half the stuff the guvment gets away with anyway. I'm not saying I am for abortion (my wife just found out she is preggo and we really can't afford it right now at this moment but I will make ends meet) but who the heck are you to say what a woman can do with her own damn body. Its up to the woman, and the man is she is with one.
The thing is, it's not just her body anymore when she becomes pregnant. It is also a child's. And when has anyone been able to do what they want with their bodies? Isn't marijuana illegal because of what it does to your body? Meth, cocaine, heroin? It's even illegal to abuse prescription drugs. Suicide effects the body and look- illegal too.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
All this talk of woman's rights. Um last time I checked a child generally takes both male and female to make. So the father who is normally involved has no say, and it effects him and his body has no say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota