Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:51 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,734 times

Advertisements

Am I right in thinking there is a college there? Also, can anyone provide info on what Brookings is like? I've seen it twice on vacation, on the way through the town, and thought it was nice, and better than you would have thought. But, otherwise, I don't know much, and would appreciate further info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 07:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer grace View Post
Am I right in thinking there is a college there? Also, can anyone provide info on what Brookings is like? I've seen it twice on vacation, on the way through the town, and thought it was nice, and better than you would have thought. But, otherwise, I don't know much, and would appreciate further info.
Like you, I've only been there to go through, or stop for a short 2 or 3 days. But the 2 or 3 days I stopped, was at the Univerty in Brookings. So yes, I can confirm there is one. haha But I know nothing else. Sorry.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Hi. Well, I guess that makes three of us who don't know much about Brookings. But yes, there is a college there and it's a state college rather then private so the tuition is reasonable. I can tell you that the town is a neat and clean town.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
I lived in Brookings for about 5 years and graduated from SDSU Its a great college town and honestly a pretty good all around town

Very friendly people and GREAT night life and social scene (um... I can definatly state that as my college years revolved around the bar scene ... oops did I admit that )

Lots of apartments to rent and nice homes to buy if you want to stay after college -

Good jobs for people in school - Daktronics (scoreboards / signs) ADVANCE (program for folks with disabilities) etc... Small mall so not a lot of shopping, but only 45 minutes from Sioux Falls for shopping - There is a superwalmart plus the mall. Movie theater, lots of fast food and some restaurants (A pretty new applebees).

Lots of big mature tree lined streets - great for taking walks, roller blading, biking etc - McCrory gardens is beautiful and the campus itself is pretty nice.. they have been doing a lot updating and new building - the Jackrabbits football games are VERY FUN as well.

Just let me know if you want other specifics

SDSU web site http://www3.sdstate.edu/
Brookings web sites http://www.brookings.com/
Newspapper http://www.brookingsregister.com/

Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,734 times
It sounds from the above description like I remember it, a very nice city. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,021 times
I live in Brookings, and have for going on 12 years. I grew up 25 miles away, and had family here, and I was born here, so I have been involved with Brookings my whole life.

What exactly are you looking for? Jobs? Housing? Do you have kids?

First of all, I can tell you that Brookings currently has quite a seller's market as far as buying a home goes. Our home could sell for a LOT more right now than we paid for it 5 years ago.

The university (SDSU) is great and my husband and I are alumni. It provides a lot of entertainment with music performances and sports events. We get season tickets to the football games (Pride Drumline alumni as well "We are one big cohesive unit, HUH!") and attend many basketball games as well.

The town is very clean, like others said. Nice parks, McCrory Gardens is very pretty all summer long. We have a new expanded water park added on to the public pool. There are two libraries... the public library and the campus library.

SocialWorker is right and there isn't a LOT for shopping, but there are some shops downtown, a great book store and a few clothing shops. The mall isn't much to speak of, but has a JCPenneys, Maurices, Claires, an audio store, and some others... so if you really need something right away, you can usually make due between Wal-mart and the mall. We are not far from Watertown either, which has a variety of stores.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but if you have any questions, I will check back!

And the links are great, check em out.

Last edited by Scarlett13; 02-23-2007 at 10:21 PM..

Old 02-24-2007, 05:34 AM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
Yes,SDSU is a major college in South Dakota.SDSU offers a wide range of majors.However,I prefer South Dakota school of mines better,which is located on the other side of south dakota.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
The South Dakota School of Mines has a fantastic rep, but don't you have to nearly be a genius to get in there?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:17 AM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The South Dakota School of Mines has a fantastic rep, but don't you have to nearly be a genius to get in there?
well,I don't know too much about it.I only know it's a small college and I like small colleges.
I am concerned with electric engineering anyway.
Is S.D school of mines difficult to get in?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:58 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
Here is the school of Mines addmission requirements are as follows - They are selective but it is not THAT hard to get in - When I was looking undergrad, I was approved for admission, but later changed what I wanted to go into (psychology) and chose SDSU for that reason I am also the opposite - I didn't want a small school - SDSU was small enough but also a bit larger for more variety

Anyway here you go...

Students will be reviewed before acceptance if they...

meet BOR requirements
AND
obtain an ACT composite score of at least 21 or equivalent SAT-I score (980-1010)

OR
obtain a high school GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale

Students will be automatically accepted if they...

obtain an ACT composite score of 25 AND an ACT math subscore of 25 or SAT-I (l130-1160)

OR
obtain a high school GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and have taken four years of mathematics

OR
are South Dakota Regents’ Scholars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota