Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times

Advertisements

I agree that Walmart is a poor place to buy meat. Walmart has a lot of good deals, but I have gotten poor meat in 3 different states from Walmart.
uh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 AM

415 posts, read 972,382 times
Wow thats where I buy most of my burger is from walmart, the 5 lb tubes of the stuff. So far I haven't had a problem with them at all. Occasionally I will buy some cuts from there if they are on sale and haven't had any problems with them either. I buy anywhere from 5-10 of the 5 lb rolls of burger from wally world monthly.

That Barley soup recipe sounds good and sounds like a good winter meal lol. I am assuming Diced tomatoes on the can of tomatoes. We'll be doing Grocery shopping tomorrow so will definately pick up what ingredients we don't have for that.

I got my little trailer finished last night that I made for our car and will be planning a trip back to our storage unit in iowa to get our 7 foot long deep freezer so we can start stocking up on stuff again. Then I plan on getting whole chickens, more burger and stuff like that, maybe another turkery or two to put in there too. No rule that says you have to have turkey only on Turkey day or the Holidays LOL.

Thanks again for all the wonderful suggestions.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,690 times
I know I can't post a link to another site here, but I know of a great money-saving website, and there is an entire section of the board devoted to frugal cooking. If you want to pm me, I can point you there!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,585 times
Why can't you post a link? I just cut & paste the url to the message.

uh

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Some forums restrict links to other websites. I thought this was one of them. I did not want to get into trouble with a mod for posting something I wasn't supposed to.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
You can send me a DM with the site and I'll let you know if it's within the guidelines. If there is no forum on it or advertising, it's ok here.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You can send me a DM with the site and I'll let you know if it's within the guidelines. If there is no forum on it or advertising, it's ok here.
Jammie, it DOES have a forum, and that's why I was reluctant to post it here. I can send the link to anyone who wants it, though, if they dm me!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I make beef & barley soup, with burger. or stew meat.
Today, there's a batch of chicken noodle soup, on the stove. I made it, with 3 chicken breasts...hubby likes more meat, in soup, than me, so for the two of us, this will make about 3 meals.......I have issues, with down sizing, for only 2 people........

anyone else ever made fried cabbage, with bacon? brown the bacon, & add the shreeded cabbage & onions? I've heard of people adding potatoes, as well............
OMG!!! That sounds soooooooooo good! I don't often buy bacon, but I'm going to today, just so I can try that.

Beef and barley sounds good too. Maybe I'll actually make a grocery run of it. I usually buy groceries every day, but the weather's going to get unpleasant this weekend. Might be nice to not have to go out. I take the bus and tote my little dog in a backpack, so carrying a lot of groceries is no fun.

Well, I grew up quite poor, so I have some recollection of having to skimp. My mom was a good cook and good at stretching a dollar. White bean soup with ham hocks. Spanish rice, with hamburger or without. Swiss steak is great for poor cuts of meat. Mashed taters with hamburger gravy is one of my favorites.

One of my favorite memories growing up is Mom making beef stew. I loved grabbing a chunk of raw potato or rutabaga, and she always saved the cabbage hearts for me to munch raw. *sigh*

Now, why didn't I pay more attention to how she made that great hamburger gravy? That sounds good right now too!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 PM

415 posts, read 972,382 times
VKH, I was in the same boat you were growing up, not alot of money in the house and now I just despise some things cuz of what we had to eat growing up. Will not touch Doodoo on the shingle or Porcupine meatballs, and something my mom called a Tuna Caserole, Tuna, Cream of Shroom soup, Macaroni and cheese and Peas all mixed together in what looked like something I would rather not say lol. And Liver, OMG I can't stand any of that. YUCK.

On the other hand though, MacaCheese and dogs, Still love them, Something we called pizza burgers, Take some ground beef, Split Hamburger buns, Put a Layer of Ketchup on each side of the bun, lay then on a cookie sheet ketchup side up, put on some burger, take a slice of american cheese and cut it into half inch thick stips and then 3 strips and criss cross them onto the burger and then bake them in the open till the bun was slightly crispy and the cheese was melted, I STILL LOVE THOSE. And so does my nine year old son and very little burger could do half a pack of buns and feed all 3 of us now. Stuffed Tomatoes is still pretty good although I am really despising the taste of tomatoes at the grocery stores anymore, absolutely flavorless most of the time.

We did our grocery shopping today and all I can do is shake my head. what we normally get for our 300 a month in groceries didn't even hardly make it to 3/4 of what we normally get. The prices just keep going up and up and up and theres no end in sight. Recession my Keister. COuple more months of this and I've just about had it. Come first thaw, garden bed is getting tilled up and I am gonna get hot on that. Just disgusts me how much food is costing and or gonna cost in the near future. And the bad thing is, We can live without oil as hard as it may seem, BUT, we CAN'T live without Food. And............. THEY KNOW IT.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 12-13-2008, 11:52 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
VKH, I was in the same boat you were growing up, not alot of money in the house and now I just despise some things cuz of what we had to eat growing up. Will not touch Doodoo on the shingle or Porcupine meatballs, and something my mom called a Tuna Caserole, Tuna, Cream of Shroom soup, Macaroni and cheese and Peas all mixed together in what looked like something I would rather not say lol. And Liver, OMG I can't stand any of that. YUCK.

On the other hand though, MacaCheese and dogs, Still love them, Something we called pizza burgers, Take some ground beef, Split Hamburger buns, Put a Layer of Ketchup on each side of the bun, lay then on a cookie sheet ketchup side up, put on some burger, take a slice of american cheese and cut it into half inch thick stips and then 3 strips and criss cross them onto the burger and then bake them in the open till the bun was slightly crispy and the cheese was melted, I STILL LOVE THOSE. And so does my nine year old son and very little burger could do half a pack of buns and feed all 3 of us now. Stuffed Tomatoes is still pretty good although I am really despising the taste of tomatoes at the grocery stores anymore, absolutely flavorless most of the time.

We did our grocery shopping today and all I can do is shake my head. what we normally get for our 300 a month in groceries didn't even hardly make it to 3/4 of what we normally get. The prices just keep going up and up and up and theres no end in sight. Recession my Keister. COuple more months of this and I've just about had it. Come first thaw, garden bed is getting tilled up and I am gonna get hot on that. Just disgusts me how much food is costing and or gonna cost in the near future. And the bad thing is, We can live without oil as hard as it may seem, BUT, we CAN'T live without Food. And............. THEY KNOW IT.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Homesteader, I lmao reading your post!

Porcupine meatballs! I haven't thought of those in years, and I hated 'em too! My mom's tuna casserole wasn't quite as bad as that, although still not one of my favorites. I make a much better version these days, and if I'm feeling ambitious I even make homemade noodles.

Tha bane of my culinary existence, as a kid, was my Grandma's New England Boiled Dinner. That's chicken, potatoes and carrots, all cooked together with a huge portion of bland thrown in! All you could do for it once you got it to the table was slather on the butter and add liberal amounts of salt and pepper, which always ticked Grandma off, for some reason.

Your pizza burgers sound good. Makes me think of another cheap favorite, barbecues, or what the rest of the country calls Sloppy Joes.

Hmmmmmm, yesterday somebody shared her hamburger gravy recipe with me and I just had to go get the stuff to make it. YUMMMMMMMMMM! I just boiled the taters, skins on. I used Yukon Golds, not really traditional cuz we didn't have them way back when. After the dog got her share, there were definitely NO leftovers!

I'm trying to remember Garrison Keillor's description of today's "tomatoes", and all I can think of is "pinky-orange tennis balls, strip mined in Texas". I don't know if that's accurate, but it's sure descriptive of the tomatoes from stores today. I'm like you, I can't wait until time to plant tomatoes! I do them in a container on my deck, which never quite yields the huge numbers of big ones, but it's the quality that counts! I want to move to a house within the next year, and then it'll be gardening time! I love my apartment, but my dog would really benefit from a yard.

Do you have a big area for gardening? I was skimming over an article a while ago about vertical gardening. Sounded really interesting and practical. What struck me most was strawberries grown in vertical PVC pipes, where they were growing over a dozen plants in the actual ground space that would fit just one plant if you just planted it in the ground. Amazing!

I totally agree that being able to grow your own produce is going to be the way to go if the economy stays the way it is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota