Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times

Advertisements

You've probably all heard about the explosion we had in Mitchell a few days ago. (And thank you, Guzzler for your concern) Luckily, no one was killed in it. The house where three people lived exploded at 11:30 last Wed. (?) It was luck that it happened then because all three people were at work and if it had been 45 minutes later, they would've all been home for lunch. It blasted a few houses nearby. One couple that we know lives three houses down and it knocked their pics off the wall, and their knick knacks down, and blew out their garage doors. The lady who lived right next to the house is 90 and was thinking of going into a nursing home and this made her decision for her. Her friend had called and invited her to lunch or she would've been at home at the time of the explosion. Her house was also damaged beyond repair and all her precious things were broken. She was so thrilled because her piano was in such good shape yet and she even played it a bit for the newscrew that was there.

I decided to wait with posting about it until I learned more. It was caused by a leak in the natural gas line near their home. They said with the ground being frozen and then beginning to thaw, it affects gas lines more then we know about. I guess if we'd have known back then that electric heat would eventually be cheaper then natural gas, we wouldn't have all the gas lines buried around here. Just wanted to let all of you know that the damage was pretty extensive and it shook houses for blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 29,863 times
Default it was unbelievable

wasn't it?...hard to believe that NOONE was home in those three houses...i'd say that "someone" was looking out for those that lived there...

Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themom-44 View Post
wasn't it?...hard to believe that NOONE was home in those three houses...i'd say that "someone" was looking out for those that lived there...
Oh I agree!! It's also a small miracle that someone wasn't walking or driving right in the area right at the time. They said some of the furniture pieces actually landed three blocks away. Have you gotten to see the pics that were being circulated on the internet about it? Someone in an airplane took them. I'd send them to you, but I've since deleted them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota