Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 AM

433 posts, read 959,904 times

Advertisements

Some recent developments may lead me to Pierre, so I've been attempting to research the area along with reading posts from the S.D. forum.
I read a few things in this forum that concerned me, like:

1) Rentals are scarce and not pet-friendly (I have two cats).

2) The townfolks aren't very friendly to the State employees.

I was wondering if I could hear from those of you who live/have lived in Pierre. I made a mistake by moving to Colorado Springs and just want to be careful in my next move.

I am single, like the quiet, like small towns, but need to have some kind of social life. I figure, with a State of SD job, I can always later transfer to RC or SF?

Can anyone recommend a pet-friendly rental? I'm having a heck of a time trying to locate ANY rentals that allow pets. What's the deal with that?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by 50something; 12-12-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
No state employees are not looked down on. They make up the largest majority of the workforce.

Rentals are there, some will allow pets but requre a healthy deposit. Foster Rentals might be good place to check

Depends what department you go to work for depends on the ability to transfer.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
The town has a different vibe. That stretch of road between Pierre and Blunt is a good road, well traveled however in the winter time can be miserable.

If you like hunting and Fishing Pierre is a great town. Other than that shopping is not great, nothing to do but drink and gamble. Neither sound like fun to me.

Give me a bit of time and I will get you some information to get you pointed in the right direction on Pierre.

The gripe with Pierre is more of a personal gripe. Apartments and rentals are not pet friendly around here.
RJ, This is something you posted in another thread. I'm a little confused about how pet-friendly Pierre is or isn't.

I've attempted to contact apartment communities in that area but can't get anyone to answer the phone, LOL.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple betty View Post
There are two Pierres, if you will. One is townies, the other is state workers. The two do not mix. One is stationary with poor to well off folks, the other, the state workers, are transient and quietly hostile to each other. Hostile because advancement is performed and played in a fish bowl. Pierre is a small fish bowl.

The townies ignore the state workers, except for profit reasons. The state workers are kindly but really pity the townfolk for their geographical path in life. The state workers believe they are where its at and if any group has the edge on meeting or knowing someone with aspirations, some one who will lift them from life's drudgeries, they believe they are in the proper group. Someday, I'll get a real job in Denver.

As the good families and the respectfilled offspring of good families dwindle across South Dakota, the new product appears in the capitol town ready for personal battle, disillusioned, less trusting, less fun, less spontaneously altruistic for the mere joy of life, less inclined to help one another save for more than quick short moments. Celebrating together, rich and poor, the gift of the landscape, the exploration of the state capital city, its tremendous parks, breathtaking river exposures are all gone really. Look at Farm Island. Where is everyone?

A great great asset of Piere was the mixing of all peoples in all places. I miss that today. I love Pierre very much. Everyone is welcome.
This is the post that concerned me.... Anyone care to comment?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM

It varies by comany. There is a consolidated list of Rentals, if I get to real computer I can look it up.

Most do not allow pets, some might, it becomes spendy if you have critters.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
It varies by comany. There is a consolidated list of Rentals, if I get to real computer I can look it up.

Most do not allow pets, some might, it becomes spendy if you have critters.
Thanks RJ, I appreciate your help.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
50, how wonderful that you're still considering a move to So. Dak. The last time we spoke, you weren't sure anymore so I'm glad that employment opportunities have opened up for you here.

I hope you end up getting the position and that you find a pet friendly home. There MUST be something that is pet friendly and unfortunately, pet deposits are high all over. I guess the landlord has to protect themselves.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Here is the site I was talking about.

Pierre/Fort Pierre Area Rental Property Search

Old 12-12-2009, 12:29 PM

128 posts, read 282,201 times
50something - my humble opinion for what it's worth - is that you can't just generalize Pierre that "staties" and "townie" don't mix. That may be her view based on her experience. There are going to be cliques everywhere. The city I live can be very welcoming - or downright hostile to newbies. It all depends upon who you are running into or how you treat them. I had a horrific time when I first moved here in SE MN more than 18 yrs ago - not so much in the city, but in the huge workplace. That is not to say there are a lot of great people here.
As far as transferring goes - naturally I don't work for the state of SD. But I did use to work for the feds. Transferring depends upon naturally whether a job opens up in another city; you would still have to qualify and be interviewed and have great recommendations. You would most likely have an edge over someone NOT working for the state; sometimes they open jobs up just to other state employees. There is a senior secretary opening in RC - closes soon. Did you see that?
I was also checking rentals in the SF area and was noticing not very pet friendly. One would rent with a deposit IF your cats were declawed which I could never do. It might just be times are tough for pet owners but if a place has a lot of vacancies, it might still be worth checking out and asking if you could put down a deposit
BTW, for months I had been working under the assumption my job was funded until around May 2010. Just found out last night that we are out of money. Completely. However, my company has a policy that you need to give a person 60 day notice before laying them off, so they have to figure out something to pay me for 60 days and then I'm OUT. I had been wanting to leave, but thought I had several months to get my house ready, apply for jobs, etc - not to mention to get any health issues taken care of! But I'm gone in 60 days. Hopefully I'll get some job nibbles before then b/c right now I'm scared to death.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,902,601 times
Regarding pet friendly rentals- My brother and his family rent a house downtown SF, the landlady actually lives next door, and they have 6 dogs, 5 of them are boxer/lab size. Just driving down their street, I noticed at least 5 For Rent signs posted, a lot of them large traditional style houses where each story has been made in to an apartment. Obviously it is hard to find a place that way unless you are in town, but personally I prefer to deal with an individual rather than a property manager or apartment complex.

I know you said Pierre, but I've notice a lot of rentals that are through property management companies either don't allow pets or the deposit is ridiculous. Same goes for apartments.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 12-12-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota