U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2017, 03:31 AM
 
1,220 posts, read 798,997 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilamai View Post
If the sun was 93 millions miles away, shouldn't the lines be more vertical?



...yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Type 0.7 Kardashev
10,576 posts, read 7,459,514 times
Reputation: 37532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What possible reason could NASA have for conspiring to mislead the public regarding . . . ANYTHING? Can you think of a legitimate reason. A general mistrust of the government doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge space and rocketry and NASA nerd, but I can think of many reasons they would deliberately mislead the public. They have done so many times. Anything that would justify extra research of spending or projects on their part would constitute for them plenty of reason to disseminate misinformation.

They did do continually throughout the cold war. By claiming the USSR was ahead of us in many categories. And that it loses a threat. They were not and did not.
What did NASA claim about the USSR? I think you're confusing NASA and intelligence services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
They continually overstate the applicable usefulness to us the public from the stuff they discover during their projects. The ISS for example, has yielded badly anything of worth. Other than to show they can do it. Mars? Same deal. So what if they find microbial life? We already know its out there.
"We should go to Mars to see if there is microbial life there" is not a lie - it's a statement of opinion. It's no more a lie than if you say "We shouldn't go to Mars to see if there's microbial life there" is a lie. Again, that's just an opinion on what we should do or should not do.

Whether or not something is worth doing is a matter of opinion. Trying to pass that off as lying is disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
The space shuttle program was useless. And they lied about the info they had about those O Rings before the Challenger launched.
Now that statement by you does border on a lie. The space shuttle program had all sorts of uses. You may think them unwise allocations of resources, but the shuttle did many things - by definition, it was not useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
They have deliberately lied about being able to maybe....If they just have more time and money....Bring able to develop technology that can destroy a potentially deadly NEO. They really lied during the early days for the Space Race, when half the tickets we tested failed on the launch pad.
You really don't appear to understand the nature of lying. Someone who thinks something can be done, which you don't think can be done, isn't lying. If anything, they're simply wrong. Or you're the one who is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
They lied about the innocence of Werner von Braun. That man was as guilty of condoning murder and genocide as Hitler. I can provide sources on that if you wish. Or on any of this.
Please do. I'd be fascinated to read a NASA statement on the innocence of Werner von Braun. I highly doubt any such thing exists. In this case, I suspect you are confusing NASA with the State Department and other agencies which had precisely nothing to do with NASA (for the rather pertinent reason that NASA would not exist yet for over a decade) which whitewashed Von Braun's activities in the Third Reich. NASA didn't 'hire' Von Braun - NASA was created by federal legislation which consolidated a number of existed organizations into NASA, and Von Braun became a part of NASA by virtue of that legislation.

The idea that NASA was supposed to have removed Von Braun because it disagreed with State and the intelligence services determinations regarding Von Braun's World War II role is ludicrous - that is not the province of NASA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Hope this helps.
It does. But not in favor of your point.

And it certainly does absolutely nothing to suggest why NASA would try to conceal the distance to the Sun, or that it is even capable of doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM
 
22,789 posts, read 17,263,699 times
Reputation: 9501
[Mod cut: orphaned / response to deleted post]

The earth's average distance from the sun is 93 million miles, not because it's what I've heard since I was a child, but because it is, as has been confirmed by accurate scientific measurements. At its closest the earth is 91.4 million miles from the sun. At its furthest the earth is 94.5 million miles from the sun.

Italian astronomer Giovanni Cassini in the 17th century came within 6 percent of determining the earth's distance from the sun by using trigonometry as he studied the planet Mars from different points on Earth. But with today's modern instruments we can determine the distance very accurately.

Earth-Sun Distance Measurement Redefined

And guess what? We can determine how far Pluto is from the earth at any given time. The distance changes. Currently Pluto is 3.13 billion miles from earth. Without knowing the precise location and distance of Pluto from the earth we could not have sent the New Horizons space craft to Pluto.

Here is a great picture of Pluto and its moon Charon taken by the New Horizons space craft as it sped by.


pictures of pluto - Bing images

Last edited by elnina; 03-15-2017 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 6,741,797 times
Reputation: 5188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I love this thread. But it does reinforce my assertion that CD needs a sarcasm font.
Sarcasm font (or color rather)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top