Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:58 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterBJK View Post
The fact is we are given the answer in the Bible. It's not that I don't know the answer. It is revealed from God Almighty Himself.
Putting this into the context of my last post, use the bible to discover something new. Because in every case people make a connection between something that has already been discovered and what some of its words can be interpreted to imply.

Quote:
I never said there is no time, I said that God is outside of time, he created time. He is God Almighty.

What the bible specifically states is that creation
This would mean that god doesn't or didn't have a concept of time.

If you want my view, i see it like this:

Imagine the universe as a space-time sphere such as this one:

Now in this the dimensions of space represent the cross sectional area of a point in the sphere and time represents the depth of it.

Time itself is perfectly real in our perspective but this higher dimensional god can see each layer as a difference in position.

Now the bible and millions of other creation stories all have a start, as if god began with the infinitesimally minute layer and then let it expand into this:

going from right to left.

Of course the problem with this is that it forcefully adds the time dimension into this deity which contradicts with the outside of time remark. If it was outside time and created this sphere then it would mean that all actions in the past present and future were made instantaneously. This however causes innumerable more problems such as free will being an illusion for example

A way around this is to say that the sphere above was either always there in the sense that beginning and end are part of the sphere(with say the big bang at the very north and whatever else at the other end[it might also be an infinitely big sphere so no end perhaps])

See how difficult to conceptualize this is? without time as a dimension making things have no meaning because action itself requires a before and after.

Back when i was looking for the right religion i found that a good approach to this was with panentheism or deism. God itself is inside the "bubble" forming either the entire thing or not being in any part of it.

Quote:
Death is the consequence of sin. Disobedience to the Almighty God who created us is sin. You feel it, you feel it when others show you hate, and when you see hate all around you, and all kinds of evil that cause so many tears in our world. It was not the way we were suppose to be, but we chose this because the first created humans disobeyed God and put a curse of sin on the world. He offers redemption so that we can be perfect again and in fellowship with God. He offers this through his son Jesus Christ of Nazareth who lived a sinless life, died willingly for your sins and mine, and rose from the grave; conquering death and sin. For those who choose them this is what happens: I Corinthians 5:1-5 "For we know when this earthly tent we live in is taken down-when we die and leave these bodies-we will have a home in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long for the day when we will put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. For we will not be spirits without bodies, but we will put on new heavenly bodies. Our dying bodies make us groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and have no bodies at all. We want to slip into our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by everlasting life. God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit."
All will stand before God and be judged, for it is written "For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in our bodies" -I Corinthians 5:10
Yes i've been forced to read the bible before. No matter how much you threaten me with eternal flames it wont make a difference. I see this as a way to get more people to join because with all due honesty, god is what believers make of her and religion with all its dogma is nothing without followers.

Quote:
Mercy comes from God, for he is Mercy. Love comes from God, for he is love. Justice comes from God, for he is just. Everything good come from God, for he is the definition of good. His son Jesus Christ displays all of these characteristics to the fullest. Though he was God himself, he put others before himself, and lived life as a servant to others because of His deep love for us, his creation. For it is written: It is the will of God the Father that all who look upon His son and believe shall live forever.
And faith can move mountains but when it comes to regenerating limbs, healing someone with cancer it always turns out that if it doesn't work the its your own fault for not having enough faith.

Stop the sermon because it does nothing. Engage me one to one

Quote:
see my previous paragraph.
Look you seem to be zooming past my point for the sake of sounding poetic, human feelings exist in our society but they are out of place when dealing with a being who exists above us. Deism seems like the only logical alternative unless you can find one use this god would have for love

Quote:
Heaven is perfect. It is in the presence of the Holy God. If he is everything good, think for a second how amazing it would be.
You didn't answer the question. What will we do for the whole of eternity? After doing everything an infnite amount of times I'd be bored out of my skull. I could ask god to make it so i dont get bored but then my existence would be one where id do things over and over. It would have no meaning.

Quote:
I have 2 things right. The Bible is fact, not fiction. If I was presenting my own ideas it wouldn't count, for I am only human, and can accomplish nothing on my own. The ideas I present are from God Almighty in His perfect word of truth. It is my duty, honor, and joy to proclaim the words of God Almighty, for I am His servant.
Im sorry, did god write the bible or did men? Because your bare assertions fall short on being convincing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 PM

51 posts, read 91,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Putting this into the context of my last post, use the bible to discover something new. Because in every case people make a connection between something that has already been discovered and what some of its words can be interpreted to imply.

This would mean that god doesn't or didn't have a concept of time.

If you want my view, i see it like this:

Imagine the universe as a space-time sphere such as this one:

Now in this the dimensions of space represent the cross sectional area of a point in the sphere and time represents the depth of it.

Time itself is perfectly real in our perspective but this higher dimensional god can see each layer as a difference in position.

Now the bible and millions of other creation stories all have a start, as if god began with the infinitesimally minute layer and then let it expand into this:

going from right to left.

Of course the problem with this is that it forcefully adds the time dimension into this deity which contradicts with the outside of time remark. If it was outside time and created this sphere then it would mean that all actions in the past present and future were made instantaneously. This however causes innumerable more problems such as free will being an illusion for example

A way around this is to say that the sphere above was either always there in the sense that beginning and end are part of the sphere(with say the big bang at the very north and whatever else at the other end[it might also be an infinitely big sphere so no end perhaps])

See how difficult to conceptualize this is? without time as a dimension making things have no meaning because action itself requires a before and after.
Like I said before God created time, and he is outside of it. He is not affected by time. He is the author of time. Do we have free will, absolutely. God, being all knowing, knows exactly what choice we will make and what will happen, which blows my mind because before he created us he knew that He would have to die for our sins. That's love.

Quote:
Back when i was looking for the right religion i found that a good approach to this was with panentheism or deism. God itself is inside the "bubble" forming either the entire thing or not being in any part of it.

Yes i've been forced to read the bible before. No matter how much you threaten me with eternal flames it wont make a difference. I see this as a way to get more people to join because with all due honesty, god is what believers make of her and religion with all its dogma is nothing without followers.

And faith can move mountains but when it comes to regenerating limbs, healing someone with cancer it always turns out that if it doesn't work the its your own fault for not having enough faith.

Stop the sermon because it does nothing. Engage me one to one

Look you seem to be zooming past my point for the sake of sounding poetic, human feelings exist in our society but they are out of place when dealing with a being who exists above us. Deism seems like the only logical alternative unless you can find one use this god would have for love

I am not trying to give you a sermon, nor am I trying to threaten you. I am answering your questions with what I know to be true. What use would God have for love? He is love. He made humans so that he could love us and we could love Him back. He also asks us to love others as we love ourselves. I am telling you these things out of love, not so that I can get kicks for being right or to look at the words I write and think i'm really smart or to bring glory to myself; God deserves all of the glory and praise, and so be it.

Quote:
You didn't answer the question. What will we do for the whole of eternity? After doing everything an infnite amount of times I'd be bored out of my skull. I could ask god to make it so i dont get bored but then my existence would be one where id do things over and over. It would have no meaning.

Im sorry, did god write the bible or did men? Because your bare assertions fall short on being convincing
God wrote the Bible through his spirit, men simply wrote down what God told them to write. How do I know the Bible to be true? The prophecies and the evidence. In the Bible there is a story of God parting the Red Sea so the Israelites, the people that had faith in Him, could escape from Egypt. The Egyptians attacked through the parted sea and after every Israelite was out of there, God made the sea swallow up the Egyptians. There is a 3 by 11 mile section in the Red Sea where the Israelites crossed where there are Chariot wheels and Chariots and other Egyptian things. What will we do for eternity? It will be spent in one of two places in which each human has a choice to make for themselves which will determine their destination. Heaven = eternal joy, Hell = eternal suffering. I am not threatening you, I am simply answering your question my friend.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,469,408 times
Quote:
The prophecies and the evidence. In the Bible there is a story of God parting the Red Sea so the Israelites, the people that had faith in Him, could escape from Egypt. The Egyptians attacked through the parted sea and after every Israelite was out of there, God made the sea swallow up the Egyptians. There is a 3 by 11 mile section in the Red Sea where the Israelites crossed where there are Chariot wheels and Chariots and other Egyptian things.

I once read this fascinating fiction novel about international espionage in which some guy stole a smallpox virus from Russia. In part of the story they mentioned Red Square. To my amazement, I had a friend go and visit Red Square!!! Can you believe that???!?!!! There, right there in this fiction novel about spies stealing smallpox viruses they mentioned Red Square and there it was!!! Thankfully the book turned out with the good guys winning in the end otherwise we might be under attack any day now!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You forget that it is unlikely that the Bible was written before these things happened (If they did happen anyway.). Remember, the biblical stories were passed from person to person verbally for years. They weren't made into a book until years after these things supposedly took place. If that is the case, then there is no prediction because it was written after these things take place, so anything can be written about if it has already happened. That's like me saying I could write a book that talked about before and after 9/11, but if I didn't tell people when the book was written, they could easily assume that I predicted it.

And no, it is not proven that the Bible is true.

And illusionists walk on water all the time.

My friend, It is a fact that the books of the prophets were written long before Jesus set foot on earth. That is not under debate. For you to argue against the prophecies, you would have to prove that Jesus Christ was a made up person that never existed.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM

713 posts, read 1,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Allow me to get into this.

The fact is we are given the answer in the Bible. It's not that I don't know the answer. It is revealed from God Almighty Himself.
No, you believe it is revealed by the God you believe in. There is no evidence that it actually is. The Bible is a book written by man.
It is true that the Bible was written by men. However, it is impossible for these men to predict the future in such detail that the Bible has. Only God knows the specific future. THEREFORE, the detailed prophecies show that the men that wrote the Bible were inspired by God.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I once read this fascinating fiction novel about international espionage in which some guy stole a smallpox virus from Russia. In part of the story they mentioned Red Square. To my amazement, I had a friend go and visit Red Square!!! Can you believe that???!?!!! There, right there in this fiction novel about spies stealing smallpox viruses they mentioned Red Square and there it was!!! Thankfully the book turned out with the good guys winning in the end otherwise we might be under attack any day now!!!
My point is that is the power of God displayed, He parted the Red Sea with his mighty power, and there is archaeological evidence of this.

http://www.wyattarchaeology.com/redsea/redsea8.htm (broken link)

Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

chariots, spears, human and animal bones, chariot wheels are on the bottom of the Red Sea as we speak. Archaelogical evidence that confirms non-fictional story.

Have fun reading your fiction...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 PM

249 posts, read 532,349 times
Default The shrewd one considers his steps

Quote:
God wrote the Bible through his spirit, men simply wrote down what God told them to write.

God just told me to write..

"This thread seems to be going off topic.".. ;-0

Then.. he also warned me..
-

“Everyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” - Proverbs 14:15
-

Which sounds like good advice..

I’ve started a new thread.. if you would like to discuss this further..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ml#post3252456

-

Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,635,733 times
All this talk of nothing and complete emptiness is making me think of my brother-in-law's skull. I just don't why.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
All this talk of nothing and complete emptiness is making me think of my brother-in-law's skull. I just don't why.
The Jews are not in Israel by mistake or coincidence.

God's word is flawless and true.

The evidence is in the Bible's prophecies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space