Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 09:58 AM

280 posts, read 422,517 times

Advertisements

9 y.o. daughter w/high functioning autism. 6 months ago she stopped using the public restroom, didn't have a reason. There's nothing physically wrong with her. It's a school vacation and I'd like to take a trip but she gets miserable when she hasn't gone all day-any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Maybe she's a germaphobe? Ask her if she would use the bathroom if she had bleach wipes to clean the seat.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 AM

280 posts, read 422,517 times
Thanks for the response. She used to use restrooms all the time. I could try that, and see what happens. I force her to practice all the time at public restrooms, but she just sits down and holds it.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 PM

501 posts, read 934,466 times
Is this causing a problem (i.e., accidents)? If it's not, I'm not sure I would worry about it.

Around 2nd grade or so, I decided public bathrooms were evil and refused to use them. I went the entire school day - about 6 - 7 hours - without using the toilet all through the remainder of elementary school and then junior high. I think I had to use it once. I can't remember using public restrooms anywhere else either during that time period.

Around high school, I found that I wasn't able to make it all day but it took considerable effort to actually use the public restroom. Not for any particular reason, just personal reluctance.

Today I have no issue except for vault toilets and porta potties which I detest using and avoid using them at all cost.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 PM

500 posts, read 749,136 times
It could also be a sensory issue. Automatic flushing toilets can be very loud and can also splash water on you. My daughter did not like public restrooms because of the loud hand dryers. I solved that by grabbing some toilet paper on the way out so she could use that instead.

I'm not sure from your post if your daughter is non-verbal. Is she able to say why she doesn't like the bathrooms? Something happened for sure to change her mind. You just may have to get her to talk about it or perhaps even draw what it's like (another technique I used with my daughter when she was younger).

Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,834,776 times
I was thinking it's either the noise of her own automatic flushing toilet, or the combined sounds of the other flushing toilets plus those hand dryers.

Maybe you could practice with her wearing an MP3 player that plays soothing or familiar music. If she's afraid of the toilet flushing while she's sitting, sticky notes placed over the sensor work really well.

Start with trips to a nearby fast food restaurant for practice. Baby steps!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,834,776 times
Also if she enjoys rewards, bribe her. Even if she's in the bathroom sitting and doesn't go, that's still reward worthy. Offer a larger reward if she actually goes.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I was thinking it's either the noise of her own automatic flushing toilet, or the combined sounds of the other flushing toilets plus those hand dryers.

Maybe you could practice with her wearing an MP3 player that plays soothing or familiar music. If she's afraid of the toilet flushing while she's sitting, sticky notes placed over the sensor work really well.

Start with trips to a nearby fast food restaurant for practice. Baby steps!
Maybe something happened to her -- like getting splashed or she encountered a particularly nasty bathroom at some time. Lots of people don't like public bathrooms.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:35 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,859,531 times
Does she use the restroom at school?

I agree that something must have been seen by her at a public bathroom that made her feel this way.

When our Aspie son was younger he loved to swim. One day at the pool he saw a hair in the pool, and from that day on he refused to swim.

It's such a shame that one little stray hair made him give up swimming, but all these years later & he still won't step into a pool.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,859,531 times
Maybe try one of these products "Travel John."
Travel John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children