Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM

649 posts, read 1,770,125 times

Advertisements

I was doing some research on city data for Spokane and after all these years I just noticed that the city data site for Spokane only incules statistics for Spokane which is cool since Spokane Valley became a seperate city some years back......but the kicker is that city data hasn't included Spokane Valley as a city........it's not listed as a city in Washington state here on city data......................... so this makes the stats for Spokane sorta misleading......Spokane and Spokane Valley run together, hardly anyone could quickly tell where one ends and the other city begins since in reality they are the same city (except for different city goverments).....but unles you live here you wouldn't know this and so when you look at all the stats for Spokane you aren't getting the full picture of this area.
clearly half the "city" vital information is not given on city data. One would have to go the the city data site for Spokane county to get more the big picture information.......but this of course covers a much bigger land mass and larger population then the "city" of Spokane and Spokane Valley combined.....

So visitors to this site take note that you are just getting HALF the vital information here on city data when you are doing your research on Spokane......how many of you know that there's also an attacted "city" to Spokane called Spokane Valley and that city data hasn't included it yet in the cities for Washington state????

to do more accurate research you would need to go the each cities web site and try to learn what you want from there and combine the two sets of data in order to get a feel for the city or i should say twin cities.

So maybe we all should start refering to Spokane as the twin Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,279,627 times
Good catch! It has been 8 years since incorporation. I noticed the areas that make up the valley are all in the database like Dishman, Trentwood, Greenacres, Veradale, Opportunity. They seem to have data beyond 2003 so I don't get it. Anyway your twin-city idea is not too off since we have a Tri-Cities just south.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 PM

30 posts, read 92,591 times
An astute observation indeed.

I don't like where this is going though.......if we are going to bring up the Tri-Cities, would that make us the Bi-Cities?! Doesn't exactly have a nice ring to it, does it?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSnowMaker View Post
An astute observation indeed.

I don't like where this is going though.......if we are going to bring up the Tri-Cities, would that make us the Bi-Cities?! Doesn't exactly have a nice ring to it, does it?
It does if one is into "destination stores."

Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 PM

i like that............th bi-cities
ya the smaller neighborhood "cities" like veradale, ottis orchards and the rest have data sites but one would have to do a lot of digging to get the big pic of spokane valley, or just spokane...........i mean REALLY isn't this just actually spokane............... and only some pissing contest that devolved into spokane valley becoming a city..............since this event predates me anyone with history on this issue why not give us the scoop on "why" this split happened.....seems sorta stupid to me because in my mind this is one city.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:06 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
i like that............th bi-cities
ya the smaller neighborhood "cities" like veradale, ottis orchards and the rest have data sites but one would have to do a lot of digging to get the big pic of spokane valley, or just spokane...........i mean REALLY isn't this just actually spokane............... and only some pissing contest that devolved into spokane valley becoming a city..............since this event predates me anyone with history on this issue why not give us the scoop on "why" this split happened.....seems sorta stupid to me because in my mind this is one city.
Spokane Valley was a group of unincorporated areas that consolidated, areas that were never part of the city of Spokane. Some of the notable reasons for incorporation were: avoiding being annexed by the city of Spokane, consolidated services, and tax implications.

There is a movement to disincorporate, at least judging by signs/banners that can be seen throughout the valley.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM

thanks david; so then all the area that's spokane valley has never been an official part of spokane city limits???? i thought part of it was and voted to go with spokane valley???? this is just something i thought i heard in a long ago conversation about the "split".....so maybe it was never a "split"; as you said they just incorporated into SV...........?????
anyone else have history on this issue????

Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,963,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
thanks david; so then all the area that's spokane valley has never been an official part of spokane city limits???? i thought part of it was and voted to go with spokane valley???? this is just something i thought i heard in a long ago conversation about the "split".....so maybe it was never a "split"; as you said they just incorporated into SV...........?????
anyone else have history on this issue????
Yeah, no split, just an incorporation of unincorporated county areas.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 PM

oh and if anyone wants to be an "activist" on this "problem" of spokane valley not being included on city data for a washington city..........then go to errors@city-data.com to request that city data update washington cities to include spokane valley and a seperate stats site for it here on city data. the more emails they get then maybe the quicker "they" with correct this oversight. one can only hope

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

ok great to know................thanks david
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area