Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 38,219 times

Advertisements

hi, i live in palm springd ca nad we are thinking of relocating to southhill in spokane..
any one have an helpful advice or info..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,599 times
If you can be a little more specific it would help others in providing insight. In general, the south hill is a nice area of Spokane. What else are you interested in knowing?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 PM

thank you for your help..
my questions are which neighborhoods are better than others??
is there less crime on south hill, would you consider it safe??
my husband is a contractor, is there alot of remodels...etc???
thankyou soo much!!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithhny View Post
thank you for your help..
my questions are which neighborhoods are better than others??
is there less crime on south hill, would you consider it safe??
my husband is a contractor, is there alot of remodels...etc???
thankyou soo much!!
Not sure about the "remodels" but there is allot of contractors building new construction in the Spokane area, including Green Acres, the valley and 5 mile area...Only know this cause I'm looking for a second home to purchase....some are built on farm land, kinda cool...new homes, and in the back side you see an old barn and tractor.....anyway....hope this helped alittle...

vette-dude

Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 PM

12 posts, read 71,414 times
The lower South Hill area around Lincoln Park does have somewhat of a higher crime problem than other areas of the South Hill. Just above this area is Rockwood Blvd and the Manito area where the uppercrust live (LOL), the homes in this area are basically small mansions. A home in this area will cost more than the same home in nearly any other part of Spokane. At the very top of the South Hill is the Lincoln Heights area, 29th Avenue and beyond. The homes in this part and beyond are newer construction, there's plenty of shopping, schools, etc. Ferris High School there has a reputation of being one of the areas finest.

One thing to consider, over the last dozen years or so because of mild climate changes taking place here, as well as in other parts of the country, Spokane has seemed to develop mini-climates, for lack of a better term. Lower elevation areas such as the Spokane Valley experience less snow, high winds, rain, etc., than the higher elevation areas such as the South Hill and Airway Heights. On occasions when we have windstorms or above average snow, the South Hill gets hit very hard. Wind speeds are higher, with many more downed trees and wind damage. Snow and ice accumulations are also greater in the winter meaning that commuting up and down the steep grades that connect the South Hill with greater Spokane can be very treacherous.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 AM

wow..i cant thank every one enough for all the insight..its great..
im very drawn to the charm of south hill, after have living in palm springs for over 30 yrs, the thought of something charming is very exciting, it is so different...you actually see people walking their dogs., and children playing..is it true 4 distinct seasons?? one other ? we have been there several times, never haviing been to the valley..online i like bella vista in veradale!! we will be in town end of oct and i think we are going to check it out, for the sake of seeing!! whats bettesouthhill or veradle?? or are they just completely different?? and what area sells the q1uickest??
thanks everyone...

Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithhny View Post
wow..i cant thank every one enough for all the insight..its great..
im very drawn to the charm of south hill, after have living in palm springs for over 30 yrs, the thought of something charming is very exciting, it is so different...you actually see people walking their dogs., and children playing..is it true 4 distinct seasons?? one other ? we have been there several times, never haviing been to the valley..online i like bella vista in veradale!! we will be in town end of oct and i think we are going to check it out, for the sake of seeing!! whats bettesouthhill or veradle?? or are they just completely different?? and what area sells the q1uickest??
thanks everyone...
Bella Vista is one of the nicer valley neighborhoods - it has more of a hilly terrain with views, and more trees than some of the flat open valley neighborhoods. It's still totally different than South Hill - at least the South Hill you're describing with the older, quaint homes close to the parks. Both areas are desirable - Bella Vista is a subdivision, so it's smaller than the entire area of the south hill...You will need to explore the South hill to see all the different possibilities. There are many neighborhoods on the south hill - all with different types of houses, lot sizes, nearby businesses, etc...
Regarding what sells the quickest - right now there are not too many houses that are selling quickly. There are exceptions, of course, with a home that's priced really well for the neighborhood and condition, but for the most part Spokane homes are taking longer to sell than they did in the past 2-3 years. Lots to choose from with over 4300 active listings in Spokane county.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Yes, we do have 4 distinct seasons. This past winter was a record-breaker for snowfall but it was an exception (happens every 12 - 14 years or so), we actually have been experiencing warmer than normal winters with less snow in the lower-lying areas.

Funny you mentioned walking a dog, I just got back from walking one of ours in the neighborhood. LOL

Bella Vista is a very nice area in a central location. I can't stress enough that being near the Idaho border is a big plus. Coeur d'Alene Lake is absolutely beautiful with lush forested mountains all around and tons of recreation activities. Just a few miles from Bella Vista is Post Falls, Idaho, one of the most popular areas to relocate to in the country, especially for businesses. A huge Cabela's just opened there, if you have never been in one of their stores it's really quite an experience. There's also Silverwood amusement park (north of Coeur d'Alene) similar to Knott's Berry Farm, several water parks in the area (one of which is located in the Spokane Valley), Mt Spokane-which offers great skiing in the winter-is about 20 - 30 minutes away from the valley/Veradale/Bella Vista areas.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 PM

so my next question..is veradale a city or off shoot o9f part of spokane??
also is there a downtown, or is it strip malls?? is it quaint like southhill??
thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 08:16 PM

Veradale is part of the City of Spokane Valley, as is Otis Orchards, Greenacres (yes, really) :-), Opportunity, Parkwater, Pasadena Park, Millwood and others. Much of this entire area consisted of apple orchards many, many years ago as well as many small farms. The development of a central city center in the Spokane Valley is currently in the works. It will be located in an area that was once occupied by a large shopping center/mall called University City, in University which is also now part of the city of Spokane Valley.

The older more quaint homes in this entire area are located for the most part in downtown Millwood. There are beautiful older homes there that date back to the start of the 1900's. Think of it as a miniature-South Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area