Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 PM

206 posts, read 333,846 times

Advertisements

Here's another good link detailing Spokane's prevalent gang culture. In this study, the author points out that Spokane's gang demographic is unique from other areas of the country, because here gang alliances transcend stereotypical behavior. In short, the Inland Northwest is a breeding ground for a bigger and better gangsta:

http://stopspokanegangs.org/files/DD...Assessment.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM

26 posts, read 40,845 times
not so interesting to know.... kinda scary. what are the inland northwest boundaries considered so we know to stay away from?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 PM

206 posts, read 333,846 times
"Inland Northwest" is just a local colloquialism for an area centered in and around Spokane. There aren't any defined parameters that I'm aware of, so I apologize for using this vague term. I'm in the process of evaluating a move for myself as well and my research is casting some very serious doubts on Spokane County, in general. It's political hub, of course, is the City of Spokane, so ultimately it sets the tone for the rest of the county--hence my reservations. I had earlier suggested Deer Park, and it still seems like a viable alternative for people who have to commute to Spokane for work, especially families wanting affordable single-family homes in a relatively safe location. If you don't have to commute to Spokane or a major city for work there are other counties in Eastern Washington that don't suffer anywhere near her crime stats. Just minutes north of Deer Park you're in Stevens County where I've heard no mention of gang activity. To the NE is Pend Oreille County, but this is the direction some gangs fled to when Spokane got a new police chief. West of Spokane County the pine trees are replaced by sagebrush. As you head south you're into sparsely populated farming communities (very little trees). Don't know about you but I can't live without trees.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 AM

72 posts, read 110,508 times
Thanks for the info

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM

ty

Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,539,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksimpson11 View Post
not so interesting to know.... kinda scary. what are the inland northwest boundaries considered so we know to stay away from?
Inland Northwest (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,539,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
"Inland Northwest" is just a local colloquialism for an area centered in and around Spokane. There aren't any defined parameters that I'm aware of, so I apologize for using this vague term. I'm in the process of evaluating a move for myself as well and my research is casting some very serious doubts on Spokane County, in general. It's political hub, of course, is the City of Spokane, so ultimately it sets the tone for the rest of the county--hence my reservations. I had earlier suggested Deer Park, and it still seems like a viable alternative for people who have to commute to Spokane for work, especially families wanting affordable single-family homes in a relatively safe location. If you don't have to commute to Spokane or a major city for work there are other counties in Eastern Washington that don't suffer anywhere near her crime stats. Just minutes north of Deer Park you're in Stevens County where I've heard no mention of gang activity. To the NE is Pend Oreille County, but this is the direction some gangs fled to when Spokane got a new police chief. West of Spokane County the pine trees are replaced by sagebrush. As you head south you're into sparsely populated farming communities (very little trees). Don't know about you but I can't live without trees.
So, you don't currently live here? Many locals to this area refer to the Inland Northwest as a larger area than just Spokane county.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM

no we are thinking of moving there. we are from indiana. i just dont want to move cross the usa into a bad area. thats why i was asking about the areas.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,980,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksimpson11 View Post
no we are thinking of moving there. we are from indiana. i just dont want to move cross the usa into a bad area. thats why i was asking about the areas.
Spokane is like a more expensive Fort Wayne with less diversity and a better setting.

Just FYI.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Spokane is like a more expensive Fort Wayne with less diversity and a better setting.

Just FYI.
Whoa. Gotta stop and analyze that analogy. Too much for my old brain!

Using your metric, David, how does Spokaloo stack up with, say, Bakersfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area