Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 36,976 times

Advertisements

I'm yet another person considering a move to Spokane this summer. We're searching for homes on the MLS sight and have found several in the Nine Mile Falls area that we like but it seems kind of far out. What's that area like? Is it totally in the boondocks or are there at least grocery stores and some shopping centers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Hi Rainier -- Nine Mile Falls is not too far out of town. I live there and drive nearly every day into north Spokane or downtown Spokane. I can get to downtown Spokane in 25 minutes from the Stevens county side of Nine Mile Falls. There are quite a few businesses in Nine Mile Falls and it continues to grow. There were plans for a grocery store to be built last year but I have heard it's on hold until construction financing becomes more lenient. There are 3 shopping centers with a variety of businesses - Zip's restaurant, a child care center, mailing center, financial planner, Rio's Upriver Grill ( a new more upscale restaurant), a local newspaper - The Outpost, there's a gas station, a small grocery store/deli, a Pizza Factory, hair salon, tanning salon, hardware store, etc.
Most people are attracted to the area for the larger lots and proximity to Lake Spokane or Long Lake as it's also known. Some parts of Nine Mile Falls are in Spokane county and part is in Stevens County - depending which side of the river/lake you're on. There is an elementary school on the Spokane county side, but the middle & high schools are on the Stevens county side.
I'm a big fan of the area because it feels like you're kind of in the "country" but it's easy to do things in Spokane.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
We thought the area was lovely, too. We loved the North Indian Trail area. There were a lot of nice homes on larger lots. Our problem was the drive up there. I'm not used to driving in snow and that hill is pretty steep. I couldn't imagine all of the trips I'd have to take up and down it going back and forth to the high school (I think it would have been Shadle for where we were looking) like I have to do now for various and assorted kid stuff. My husband also doesn't want to do the North/South commute. I know, Wendy, it's not that bad, but it's a lot different then what he's used to. Of course, right now he's commuting from my cousin's in Post Falls so he might well change his mind. :~) D

Last edited by Deena160; 03-16-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 15,395 times
I have lived in the northwest part of Spokane for 10 years, and would love to live further out in the Nine Mile Falls area. If you have a chance to move there, go ahead! It is more rural and spacious, and depending on what you are talking about, definitely foresty with lots of Ponderosa Pine trees and close to the river. We are about 10 to 15 minutes from Downtown, but Nine Mile is more like 20 to 30 minutes from downtown. Instead of heading east or southeast on Ash or Monroe or Division, I would take Assembly & Driscoll and Northwest Blvd. It's faster to get to, say, Ash, to go south.

We like to go to the Nine Mile Falls day use area along the Spokane River, and that whole Nine Mile area is close to Long Lake (a part of the Spokane River), so it is excellent for lifestyle and recreation. In the wintertime you'll get more snow and the county will plow the roads at that way, but they do a better job than the City of Spokane.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 36,976 times
Thanks for all the posts. We ended up buying a house up in the Stevens County area of NMF, the area is absolutely beautiful. Moving in June. One thing we didn't really consider too much (or rather chose to not consider) was how hard it will be to drive into town during the winter. We've never lived any place where there was snow (since childhood), so we have no idea what the driving conditions will be like. I imagine the PNW is accustomed to and handles snow on the roads well...or am I dreaming? Are the major highways serviced by city snow-plows?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Hwy 291 is a state road and gets very good plowing service in the winter - better than Spokane city plows. Just give yourself plenty of time, go slow and don't brake sharply, keep a safe distance between yourself and other cars, and if you don't have to drive in the snow - stay home!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
For those who live there:
Is Nine Mile Falls a growing area?
How is real estate there? I know that real estate is marginal everywhere, but anything better or worse at nine Mile Falls?
Does Hwy 291 flood?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Hwy 291 does not flood - the lake is controlled by dams on both ends so the level never gets too high. They do draw it down in the winter for dock maintenance and weed removal. I would say Nine Mile is growing slowly right now -- there's been some nice commercial development over the past 2 years on the Stevens county side with a new plaza where there's a mailing shop, insurance agency, Zip's restaurant, Rio's Upriver Grill, a preschool, a pet/dog store, a financial advisor, and maybe a couple others....Real estate values have been flat, like everywhere else. Some homes sell quickly if they're on the larger lots, with a shop or view...others take longer to sell. There's a local newspaper you can see online Lake Spokane Outpost and a small chamber of commerce Lake Spokane Chamber of Commerce - Home. The town is unincorporated with parts of it in Spokane county and parts in Stevens county. Definitely small town living but a very beautiful part of the Spokane area!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Hwy 291 does not flood - the lake is controlled by dams on both ends so the level never gets too high. They do draw it down in the winter for dock maintenance and weed removal. I would say Nine Mile is growing slowly right now -- there's been some nice commercial development over the past 2 years on the Stevens county side with a new plaza where there's a mailing shop, insurance agency, Zip's restaurant, Rio's Upriver Grill, a preschool, a pet/dog store, a financial advisor, and maybe a couple others....Real estate values have been flat, like everywhere else. Some homes sell quickly if they're on the larger lots, with a shop or view...others take longer to sell. There's a local newspaper you can see online Lake Spokane Outpost and a small chamber of commerce Lake Spokane Chamber of Commerce - Home. The town is unincorporated with parts of it in Spokane county and parts in Stevens county. Definitely small town living but a very beautiful part of the Spokane area!

Thanks Wendy. What is raw land going for in that area?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Land prices vary depending on terrain, view, access, improvements, proximity to river/lake, etc. There are 120 land listings active in the Nine Mile Falls school district priced from $19,900 to $700,000. Only 9 land parcels have sold this year though, and 4 of those were waterfront or secondary waterfront. You can get a decent lake view parcel with about an acre for $60,000 or you can get almost 10 acres for the same price without the view in a little more remote of a location. Really depends on what you are looking for and there are plenty of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area