Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times

Advertisements

Ok, just moved into town after thinking about it for quite a while. I just joke around with the Kompton moniker for the fun of it.

I will only be here a year, seems like a nice place.

I am very impressed with the downtown area. I have never been to a cities downtown with so many old buildings that are very nicely maintained. San Diego has old buildings....but lots of them are a wreck and filthy......many times encircled by filthy vagrants. People talk about bums in Spokane.....wow.........I saw some, compared to Downtown Scum Diego they are basically non-existant.

I hear the term trashy applied to Spokane on internet forums.............welll, I just ain't seeing it yet. I looks like a throwback to earlier times, much nicer than any part of Scum Diego that I lived in.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 PM

231 posts, read 590,940 times
Welcome to Spokane Tickyul! My theory is that people here harp on some of the negatives of Spokane to try and keep outsiders away. Coming from Orange County previously I agree with your initial assesment of Spokane's downtown area.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Yo, Tickyul. Go have lunch at Domini's sandwich shop downtown. You won't be sorry.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/domini-sandwiches-spokane

p.s. Unless you're the squeamish type, order the liverwurst on rye. Just don't plan on having any intimate conversations that day.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
Welcome to Spokane Tickyul! My theory is that people here harp on some of the negatives of Spokane to try and keep outsiders away. Coming from Orange County previously I agree with your initial assesment of Spokane's downtown area.
I am only here for a year, will make the most of it. People seem to be a LOT friendlier than in San Diego.....maybe that is just my imagination???

I have never moved to a place that I liked right off the bat as much as Spokane. San Diego is nice if you can AFFORD to live in the nice areas................if not..............yikes...............illegals and creeps for the most part.

I cherish the diversity of all peoples, let me say that up front. BUT........if the Urban American population is ONLY 2%..........well then.............I got a bridge to sell you.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yo, Tickyul. Go have lunch at Domini's sandwich shop downtown. You won't be sorry.

Domini Sandwiches - Spokane, WA

p.s. Unless you're the squeamish type, order the liverwurst on rye. Just don't plan on having any intimate conversations that day.

Thanks a lot, I fricken love liverwurst.....will give a try.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM

59 posts, read 160,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am only here for a year, will make the most of it. People seem to be a LOT friendlier than in San Diego.....maybe that is just my imagination???

I have never moved to a place that I liked right off the bat as much as Spokane. San Diego is nice if you can AFFORD to live in the nice areas................if not..............yikes...............illegals and creeps for the most part.

I cherish the diversity of all peoples, let me say that up front. BUT........if the Urban American population is ONLY 2%..........well then.............I got a bridge to sell you.
Wikipedia has it listed at 3%, which seems about right to me. It's certainly somewhere in that neighborhood. What does it feel like to you? Welcome to Spokane BTW. What brings you here for only a year?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
if the Urban American
please define this term

Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
please define this term
Uh-oh.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius 09 View Post
Wikipedia has it listed at 3%, which seems about right to me. It's certainly somewhere in that neighborhood. What does it feel like to you? Welcome to Spokane BTW. What brings you here for only a year?
Well, walking around downtown and where I live.............I would put the Urban American population at about 5-6% and the illegal population is probably a LOT higher than reported. I find the diversity, even in this nice, smaller city quite troubling.......maybe I head to Idaho.

I am here with very specific goals.....pay off some bills, buy a little fixer upper (chime in about areas to avoid in Spokane besides Hillyard) and a few other personal things that are important to me.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
please define this term
I cherish diversity so much, I try to keep up on all of the most favored terms for various groups.

Urban American would be another name for Hip Hop Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area