Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:19 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,300,312 times

Advertisements

Was closer than I thought it was going to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 09:26 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,300,312 times
Interesting how this thread has no had any traffic since the Presidents Cup. Albeit I guess it's understandable since Covid has really messed the sports world up.

That said - it was nice to see Collin Morikawa storm onto the tour with his first major. Time will tell if this is more of a Keegan Bradley performance or something more lasting.

I have to say, I am NOT a fan of Bryson DeChambeau. But you can't take away his performance at the US Open.

Looking forward to the Masters next month... just feels weird saying that. Not to mention it being the last major of the year with the Open Championship being cancelled.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:11 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,096,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Interesting how this thread has no had any traffic since the Presidents Cup. Albeit I guess it's understandable since Covid has really messed the sports world up.

That said - it was nice to see Collin Morikawa storm onto the tour with his first major. Time will tell if this is more of a Keegan Bradley performance or something more lasting.

I have to say, I am NOT a fan of Bryson DeChambeau. But you can't take away his performance at the US Open.

Looking forward to the Masters next month... just feels weird saying that. Not to mention it being the last major of the year with the Open Championship being cancelled.

Funny to see Rory. now apparently stealing Bryson's strategy after subtly smack-talking his bomb-and-gouge game.

My heart does want to see Rors. get the 4th leg next month.

Maybe the cooler Augusta will suit an Irishman (assuming it's cooler, that is...)

Old 11-12-2020, 03:53 PM

14,494 posts, read 20,683,469 times
Jordan Spieth has not won in over 3 years. When he was playing well and winning I noticed he missed a good number of short putts. Now with a 36+ month drought for a player expected to be in the group of younger players who might dominate it has to be psychological to an extent. For many months now he always has one round near even par (-1, E, +1) which puts him near the cut line or in a place where he can not win. That one round predicts his chance of winning. Now today he shoots 2 over and will slip in under the cut or maybe miss it. He's a multi-millionare so he really doesn't need to win another tournament any time soon. He'll also join the over age 30 crowd in a couple or so years.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:23 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,732,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Jordan Spieth has not won in over 3 years. When he was playing well and winning I noticed he missed a good number of short putts. Now with a 36+ month drought for a player expected to be in the group of younger players who might dominate it has to be psychological to an extent. For many months now he always has one round near even par (-1, E, +1) which puts him near the cut line or in a place where he can not win. That one round predicts his chance of winning. Now today he shoots 2 over and will slip in under the cut or maybe miss it. He's a multi-millionare so he really doesn't need to win another tournament any time soon. He'll also join the over age 30 crowd in a couple or so years.
Golfers who compete at the highest level are among the most extraordinary talents found anywhere in the human race, IMO. Anyone who has played the game....or tried to knows how quickly, easily, and surely any kind of distractions or negative thoughts in your head can destroy your game....or prevent you from ever having one.

There are a million and one things that could have derailed his game. But his story is similar to countless others. So common that it is what I've learned to expect over the years.

I first began to play in 1969 when Nicklaus was in his prime. There was Jack and Arnold, Raymond Floyd, Billy Casper, Gene Littler, Lee Trevino, and a few others who won consistently. For every one of them, there have been dozens who fade away quickly. Most of us have much more in common with them than with supermen like Jack or Tiger.

Tiger is the sole superstar in the post-Nicklaus era and it was great to see him play well today. I'll be pullin' for him to win.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:05 AM

14,494 posts, read 20,683,469 times
Bernhard Langer shot 4 under and right in the mix at age 63.
It should not be totally assumed he'll fade. Any of them can.
Likely he makes the cut and he can receive the applause he'd deserve walking up 18 on Sunday.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:02 PM

We used to speculate if Spieth would beat Tiger in majors. Spieth was on a better pace than Tiger at age 22 or so and if some of you may recall, he tied Tiger's record low at Augusta I believe right at about the same age.

It's sad to see him have fallen off so much. Gary Player has made remarks about how he would have him back on track in 15 minutes or so.

Many great young Americans in the game though right now. I think I just read on WRX of the top 15 golfers in the world right now, all but 4 are Yankees. That's pretty astounding.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:06 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,732,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
We used to speculate if Spieth would beat Tiger in majors. Spieth was on a better pace than Tiger at age 22 or so and if some of you may recall, he tied Tiger's record low at Augusta I believe right at about the same age.

It's sad to see him have fallen off so much. Gary Player has made remarks about how he would have him back on track in 15 minutes or so.

Many great young Americans in the game though right now. I think I just read on WRX of the top 15 golfers in the world right now, all but 4 are Yankees. That's pretty astounding.
Your bias against Tiger is showing again. Sorry, but I can't stretch far enough to see 2 majors 2 months apart, thus far never having been repeated in the US, as a "pace". More like 7777 twice in a row on a Vegas slot.

No disrespect intended to Jordan Spieth. He's a great golfer, especially compared to most of the rest of us. But he's among hundreds of other great golfers over the years who will never come close to Jack And Tiger's level. They are the closest thing to "Supermen" that we will ever see....because what they have done consistently on golf courses is impossible for mere mortals to understand and difficult even to believe, despite seeing it with our own eyes.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Your bias against Tiger is showing again. Sorry, but I can't stretch far enough to see 2 majors 2 months apart, thus far never having been repeated in the US, as a "pace". More like 7777 twice in a row on a Vegas slot.

No disrespect intended to Jordan Spieth. He's a great golfer, especially compared to most of the rest of us. But he's among hundreds of other great golfers over the years who will never come close to Jack And Tiger's level. They are the closest thing to "Supermen" that we will ever see....because what they have done consistently on golf courses is impossible for mere mortals to understand and difficult even to believe, despite seeing it with our own eyes.
I am biased against Tiger, I will admit that, though I am a moderate fan of his.

But Spieth was absolutely doing things that were on par with Tiger at the same age. Consider:

Quote:
He tied the 72-hole record set by Tiger Woods in 1997 and became the second youngest golfer (behind Woods) to win the Masters. He then won the 2015 U.S. Open with a score of 5-under-par.[3] He was the youngest U.S. Open champion since amateur Bobby Jones in 1923. He followed up with a win in the 2015 Tour Championship, which clinched the 2015 FedEx Cup. Two years later, Spieth won his third major at the 2017 Open Championship, by three shots at 12 under par.[4]
Quote:

In 2009 and 2011, Spieth won the U.S. Junior Amateur and joined Tiger Woods as the tournament's only two-time winners.[9

So while it's pretty clear at this point he will never be on Tiger's or Jack's level(s), at an early age I would argue he was as close as anyone we have seen.

(and he is still just a PGA Championship away from having won all 4 majors, something only a handful of players in the history of the game have ever done.)

Old 11-14-2020, 12:33 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I am biased against Tiger, I will admit that, though I am a moderate fan of his.

But Spieth was absolutely doing things that were on par with Tiger at the same age. Consider:

So while it's pretty clear at this point he will never be on Tiger's or Jack's level(s), at an early age I would argue he was as close as anyone we have seen.

(and he is still just a PGA Championship away from having won all 4 majors, something only a handful of players in the history of the game have ever done.)
Interesting to note: Only five golfers have won all four of golf's modern majors at any time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred to as a Career Grand Slam: Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods. Woods and Nicklaus have won each of the four majors at least three times. -According to Wikipedia

JD looks really tough to beat at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports