Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 04:02 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Interesting to note: Only five golfers have won all four of golf's modern majors at any time during their careers, an achievement which is often referred to as a Career Grand Slam: Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Tiger Woods. Woods and Nicklaus have won each of the four majors at least three times. -According to Wikipedia

JD looks really tough to beat at this point.
I haven't given up on Spieth. to win more majors yet. He's too young and had/has far too much talent to write off just yet. He clearly is not the same player he was a few years ago though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 04:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I haven't given up on Spieth. to win more majors yet. He's too young and had/has far too much talent to write off just yet. He clearly is not the same player he was a few years ago though.
Did you hear that Lee Elder will be an honorary starter next year, along with Jack and Gary Player?

The PGA clearly felt that they needed to somehow catch up with other major sports in wokeness. Elder chosen purely based on skin color as a token PC gesture....he has no Masters wins, no major wins. If the honorary starter tradition were about golf, there are hundreds of other players more deserving.

I no longer pay any attention to MLB or the NFL. Never did have any interest in the NBA. Now professional golf is pushing me away with this misguided and, frankly, sickening move.

The media, of course, is overflowing with what took you so long praise. Not thinking for a moment about how this will hurt black players for a long time to come by reducing them to affirmative action tokens.

If it were that important to have a black player replace Arnold, there is one and only one clear candidate. Retirement or not be damned. And his joining the tradition would be a no-brainer if based purely on his playing performance record.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Did you hear that Lee Elder will be an honorary starter next year, along with Jack and Gary Player?

The PGA clearly felt that they needed to somehow catch up with other major sports in wokeness. Elder chosen purely based on skin color as a token PC gesture....he has no Masters wins, no major wins. If the honorary starter tradition were about golf, there are hundreds of other players more deserving.

I no longer pay any attention to MLB or the NFL. Never did have any interest in the NBA. Now professional golf is pushing me away with this misguided and, frankly, sickening move.

The media, of course, is overflowing with what took you so long praise. Not thinking for a moment about how this will hurt black players for a long time to come by reducing them to affirmative action tokens.

If it were that important to have a black player replace Arnold, there is one and only one clear candidate. Retirement or not be damned. And his joining the tradition would be a no-brainer if based purely on his playing performance record.
Yep. This year in particular I have noticed the shoving down of our throats the racial cr-p - even coming from a non-political body like Augusta. It's official at this point: the cultural marxists will not allow any of us reprieve from their agenda anymore.

I thought Elder was supposed to tee off this year, but I guess it's next year? He has zero right to tee off there and as you said it's all posturing.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Tiger played the 12th today as though he were a mere mortal - I watched the video and saw myself playing it exactly like that, scoring a 10! Like I have countless times.

But Tiger made short work of that mere mortal nonsense by birdying 5 of the next 6 finishing holes. That's the big difference between my game and Tiger's. If I had a chance to play Augusta, half my holes would be 10s and zero would be birdies.

Better luck next year, Tiger.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:06 PM

214 posts, read 261,337 times
2020 Masters - won by the player who is clearly the best in the world right now . Sorry Bryson , accuracy still counts . Also hoping that Rory completes the career slam soon .

Old 11-16-2020, 09:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
I am biased against Tiger, I will admit that, though I am a moderate fan of his.

But Spieth was absolutely doing things that were on par with Tiger at the same age. Consider:

So while it's pretty clear at this point he will never be on Tiger's or Jack's level(s), at an early age I would argue he was as close as anyone we have seen.

(and he is still just a PGA Championship away from having won all 4 majors, something only a handful of players in the history of the game have ever done.)
Funny - he tied Tiger's record (which DJ just beat) and he's the youngest SINCE Bobby Jones (who wasn't even the youngest to win the US Open). So in both of those cases.. he doesn't really have a record outright.

Not taking anything away from what Spieth accomplished - but like comparisons to Michael Jordan, it's always easy to say so and so is the next GOAT.... but you have to look at their complete work. Even with Tiger - 11 years ago, there weren't too many people that didn't think Jack's record was toast.

As for Spieth being as close as anyone to Tiger? How 'bout Mcilroy? more majors, more wins, lowest US open score, just a few off the top of my head. Unfortunately, both of them sort of hit a brick wall. Which is ironic as they were touted as the next rivalry. And let's not forget Mickelson. His biggest misfortune is to have his career overlap with Tigers.

And as far as being 1 major away.... and therein lies the issue. There are some greats that sit in that category. Which is good for Jordan as he is in the company of them (Nelson, Snead, Watson, Palmer, Mickelson, Mcilroy, etc.). But it doesn't really mean anything other than you are 1 away. I guess you can say he's the youngest of that group?

The fact is - there are many players that can be compared to Tiger if you cherry pick categories. But total body of work? It's hard to stack up to what Tiger has accomplished. He will never beat Jack's 18. However, he's got Jack beat in many other areas... you can make an argument that he might be the GOAT. But, as with anything else - hard to compare two players from different eras. And then the argument is more about whether or not major wins are the end all be all for GOAT stature. Which then just become which player you like better - Jack fans will likely say majors won is the measure. While Tiger fans will say otherwise.

The stats that still amazes me is his cut streak and consecutive win streak (not the 7, but the multiple 4's). And of course, the Tiger slam....

Old 11-16-2020, 09:59 PM

And dont forget Spieth should have 2 Green Jackets right now, if not for laying sod over his chip at 12 and letting Willett rip it out of his hands.

I know...shoulda, woulda, coulda...but still, Spieth was a real talent that who knows what went wrong with him? Marriage, perhaps?

I hope he wins more majors but he's not a bomber, and there are just so many talented golfers now it will be difficult for him if he doesn't get his head figured out quick, while he still has a decade of youngster still left in him...

Old 11-17-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Funny - he tied Tiger's record (which DJ just beat) and he's the youngest SINCE Bobby Jones (who wasn't even the youngest to win the US Open). So in both of those cases.. he doesn't really have a record outright.

Not taking anything away from what Spieth accomplished - but like comparisons to Michael Jordan, it's always easy to say so and so is the next GOAT.... but you have to look at their complete work. Even with Tiger - 11 years ago, there weren't too many people that didn't think Jack's record was toast.

As for Spieth being as close as anyone to Tiger? How 'bout Mcilroy? more majors, more wins, lowest US open score, just a few off the top of my head. Unfortunately, both of them sort of hit a brick wall. Which is ironic as they were touted as the next rivalry. And let's not forget Mickelson. His biggest misfortune is to have his career overlap with Tigers.

And as far as being 1 major away.... and therein lies the issue. There are some greats that sit in that category. Which is good for Jordan as he is in the company of them (Nelson, Snead, Watson, Palmer, Mickelson, Mcilroy, etc.). But it doesn't really mean anything other than you are 1 away. I guess you can say he's the youngest of that group?

The fact is - there are many players that can be compared to Tiger if you cherry pick categories. But total body of work? It's hard to stack up to what Tiger has accomplished. He will never beat Jack's 18. However, he's got Jack beat in many other areas... you can make an argument that he might be the GOAT. But, as with anything else - hard to compare two players from different eras. And then the argument is more about whether or not major wins are the end all be all for GOAT stature. Which then just become which player you like better - Jack fans will likely say majors won is the measure. While Tiger fans will say otherwise.

The stats that still amazes me is his cut streak and consecutive win streak (not the 7, but the multiple 4's). And of course, the Tiger slam....
A comment and a question.

Mickelson is the most over-rated golfer in the last 50 years.

What are these "many other areas" where Tiger has Jack beat? I can't think of any that aren't meaningless trivia. Tiger is phenomenal, but Jack is at the top by himself by any important and meaningful measure.

I boils down to this....Jack is the very best in the modern era. Tiger is, far and away from the rest, a closer second than we'll likely see for another 50 years.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
And dont forget Spieth should have 2 Green Jackets right now, if not for laying sod over his chip at 12 and letting Willett rip it out of his hands.

I know...shoulda, woulda, coulda...but still, Spieth was a real talent that who knows what went wrong with him? Marriage, perhaps?

I hope he wins more majors but he's not a bomber, and there are just so many talented golfers now it will be difficult for him if he doesn't get his head figured out quick, while he still has a decade of youngster still left in him...
That would be my first guess. Not knowing the man, but knowing a lot about life. Women can be colossal distractions, the wonderful kind....and the nightmarish kind. Either can ruin a golf score.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
A comment and a question.

Mickelson is the most over-rated golfer in the last 50 years.

What are these "many other areas" where Tiger has Jack beat? I can't think of any that aren't meaningless trivia. Tiger is phenomenal, but Jack is at the top by himself by any important and meaningful measure.

I boils down to this....Jack is the very best in the modern era. Tiger is, far and away from the rest, a closer second than we'll likely see for another 50 years.
I'm not sure how you can say Mickelson is the most over-rated golfer.... He sits in the top 10 in terms of most tournaments won. Five majors puts him in the top 15. Is he a bit of a douche - sure. But the guy has got the game to back it up. I also brought him up in response to the comment of Speith being the closest to Tiger as anyone else... seriously?

As for what is meaningless trivia or not - isn't that subjective? You can say everything is meaningless trivia as the two never played together at their peak. This goes to my point of the never-ending debate - it comes down to who you like better.

As for Jack being the best - that is agreed upon. I didn't say he wasn't. I simply said it can be debated if you took weight away from the major wins. But again... all this is subjective. It's like Jordan vs. Lebron, Jordan vs. Dr. J, Jordan vs. Russel. etc.

Last edited by macroy; 11-17-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports