Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I drove 32 miles to eat at a particular restaurant, only to discover that they were closed for the "season".

The longer I live here the more disappointed I am in businesses who operate only for the tourist dollar. I am tired of being treated like a second class citizen in my own town because I live here, and am not a big spender from Illinois, Iowa or Texas.

From now on, I will NOT patronize any business that is not open 12 months out of the year. (Music shows, notwithstanding, of course, since very few local people go to music shows). I encourage all Branson residents to do the same.

I will drive to Springfield rather than spend my money at a local business establishment who thinks that taking a few months off doesn't matter, because after all, it's only locals in the winter.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 05:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I will drive to Springfield rather than spend my money at a local business establishment who thinks that taking a few months off doesn't matter, because after all, it's only locals in the winter.

20yrsinBranson
Not us, and we're also locals. Savvy and successful business owners, especially in a vacation/resort community, know what it takes to keep their businesses operating and profitable when there's a market for what they sell/provide and when to close them down for awhile because the business volume won't cover or sustain their operating costs. It makes perfectly good sense to us!

Might I suggest letting your fingers do the walking next time?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:46 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
You live right in the heart of a seasonal tourism related economy. Businesses close in the off season because they would lose money if they stayed open like Curm said.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Yea I live by Bennett Spring and Winters are Dead here.Me and my wife had the same deal as far as wanting to go out to eat only to find Closed For The Season.Had to drive all the way to Lebanon.

brushrunner

Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not us, and we're also locals. Savvy and successful business owners, especially in a vacation/resort community, know what it takes to keep their businesses operating and profitable when there's a market for what they sell/provide and when to close them down for awhile because the business volume won't cover or sustain their operating costs. It makes perfectly good sense to us!

Might I suggest letting your fingers do the walking next time?
Then how do you explain the local businesses that do stay open? Do you honestly believe they are operating at a loss during the off-season? Of course not, they market to the locals by offering local discounts and being OPEN when the local people want them to be open. It seems to me that there is plenty of business available to keep them going strong.

We like to support local independent business owners, but if Granny's is going to close it's doors, then we will take our business to Golden Corral, which isn't nearly as nice but THEY'RE OPEN all year. So they get our business.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
Quote:
Then how do you explain the local businesses that do stay open?
If you cannot understand the difference in the level of services required for a community of 100,000 (Branson, July) and a community of 20,000 (Branson, December) then no one will ever be able to explain it to you. Perhaps you can understand that some businesses cater to area residents and take whatever tourist traffic they can get, while other businesses cater to tourists and take whatever traffic from locals they can get. Some, I am sure, try and do both. There are absolutely no moral imperatives involved in this decision.

However, one of the great things about freedom is that you can choose to take your money and spend it where you wish - and for whatever reasons you may have.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
Default Not the norm...

Quote:
A few days ago I drove 32 miles to eat at a particular restaurant, only to discover that they were closed for the "season".

The longer I live here the more disappointed I am in businesses who operate only for the tourist dollar. I am tired of being treated like a second class citizen in my own town because I live here, and am not a big spender from Illinois, Iowa or Texas.

From now on, I will NOT patronize any business that is not open 12 months out of the year. (Music shows, notwithstanding, of course, since very few local people go to music shows). I encourage all Branson residents to do the same.

20yrsinBranson
I sort of understand the frustration, but it's life. There are a few restaurants
that take that time off to enjoy life since it's a slow season. Let's face it, many of us cut back around Christmas and for a couple of months after for both financial and weather reasons. My brother works for a restaurant that closes down from Jan 1 to Feb 13....but we all know it as it's been doing the same for 20 years. Billy Bob's does much the same. They work 7 days a week 10 months out of the year....why not close down when it's slow? We work around it. So far I haven't found that I can't find a suitable place to eat in Branson anytime of the year. I've never felt like a second class citizen...just one that lives in a tourist area.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 AM

57 posts, read 165,867 times
Branson seems to be trying to find ways to stay busier yearly. They just aren't there yet. I don't think it's fair to expect all the restaurants to stay open all the time when you compare local to tourist numbers.

You still have plenty of options from what I've seen. And Granny's you not missing much. The one time we ate there was our last and we weren't impressed.

I keep wanting to try the Mexican restaurant at the landing. I've heard it's the best around.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
I must be getting old because I can remember when Branson Population was around 300 and I always had a good time there any time of year but I'm easy to please.

brushrunner

Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,464 times
Quote:
Then how do you explain the local businesses that do stay open? Do you honestly believe they are operating at a loss during the off-season? Of course not, they market to the locals by offering local discounts and being OPEN when the local people want them to be open. It seems to me that there is plenty of business available to keep them going strong.

We like to support local independent business owners, but if Granny's is going to close it's doors, then we will take our business to Golden Corral, which isn't nearly as nice but THEY'RE OPEN all year. So they get our business.

20yrsinBranson
I too hear your frustration but are you sure you are thinking this all the way through? Surely you realize how many quickly perishable products restaurants must keep on hand so customers can be served within an acceptable timeframe. How can one invest a pile of their hard earned money stocking up on same when they KNOW for a fact there will not be enough clientele walking through the door to cover even their basic operating costs let alone all the stuff that is gonna hit the dumpster in a day and a half's time because it hasn't been consumed and is no longer viable? Would you be willing to invest your own capital in a restaurant venture in this area and keep the doors open year 'round no matter what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area