Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,429 times

Advertisements

Planning to relocate to Branson from New Orleans. Staying with my Dad in Shell Knob. I've been applying for jobs like crazy, am ready to buy a house, but am only finding $8-9 hr. service jobs.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these jobs, but I am fortunately used to a higher pay scale. I have a B.S. in Public Relations, and considerable experience in the New Orleans hospitality industry, including event planning, management, publications, marketing.

I am trying the obvious avenues of directly applying with employers, posting my resume on every local/national site I can. I've also applied with a local employment agency. The staff at the Branson Chamber/CVB have been very nice and receptive, but don't seem to have any networking suggestions. Any suggestions on networking events I could attend to find "unpublished" higher paying jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,986 times
Unfortunately for you, the majority of jobs in Branson are $8 an hour service job and many of those go to illegal European immigrants who work for even less.

Your best bet to utilize your education and experience is to try for jobs in Springfield but with the current economy, it's a tight job market everywhere in the Ozarks.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeagain View Post
Planning to relocate to Branson from New Orleans. Staying with my Dad in Shell Knob. I've been applying for jobs like crazy, am ready to buy a house, but am only finding $8-9 hr. service jobs.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these jobs, but I am fortunately used to a higher pay scale. I have a B.S. in Public Relations, and considerable experience in the New Orleans hospitality industry, including event planning, management, publications, marketing.

I am trying the obvious avenues of directly applying with employers, posting my resume on every local/national site I can. I've also applied with a local employment agency. The staff at the Branson Chamber/CVB have been very nice and receptive, but don't seem to have any networking suggestions. Any suggestions on networking events I could attend to find "unpublished" higher paying jobs?
Alas, in Branson the good job are all about *who you know* with precious few exceptions. There are people out there (me included) with more than 20 years of experience in this market, and a college degree (working toward my MBA), and we are going begging for a decent job because we don't "know the right people".

The first step is to join the Chamber of Commerce and become active in any of the committees you can. Getting to know the "right" people isn't easy, but can be done. It helps if you are related to a Lennon or a Presley or a Mabe, but absent that you just have to keep plugging.

Keep in mind that NONE of the good jobs are posted ANYWHERE and you have to hear about them via word of mouth through the "good old boy/girl" network. Those of us who refuse to play that game are doomed to $10 a hour jobs ad infinitum. *sigh*

Going to the "right church" helps a lot too. Even if you aren't particularly religious, pretend...use the Lord's name A LOT - that's what most of the big wigs do anyway. Best of luck to you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-11-2009, 03:29 AM

50 posts, read 213,359 times
Since you have a place to stay for a while you're in a good position to take things slow and not have to worry about that one major expense, which is good news. Put together a plan and start executing. I think whoever said "the best way to predict the future is to make it yourself" (or something like that) was really on to something. Another favorite quote is from Tony Robbins "massive results require massive effort" but he wasn't talking about superhuman effort, just regular-folk stuff with a sharp focus and some dedicated time to put a plan into action. So (after some babbling) I'd like to suggest starting your own business with the goal of becoming the "who" they are talking about when they say "who you know".

Last edited by GreenGeek; 07-11-2009 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: clarity!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:16 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times
Cool Wishing...

I wish I could help! It seems the only down~side to this area is the difficulty in making a living.

Several times in my life I've had success by identifying the job I want, and then going after it. Maybe...?

Wish you all the best!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Going to the "right church" helps a lot too. Even if you aren't particularly religious, pretend...use the Lord's name A LOT - that's what most of the big wigs do anyway.
LOL !!!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 PM

429 posts, read 684,871 times
your not going to find a job in the springfield missouri area even with a degree that pays over 9 per hour right now but best of luck.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,429 times
Thank you all for your suggestions - and humor-it always helps! I'll keep trying my best!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 AM

879 posts, read 2,879,193 times
Default Brother in same position

Unfortunately, out in the Shell Knob area there isn't too much by the way of jobs within 50 miles. My brother is out here taking care of my Dad in that same general area and just the commute is a killer.

He doesn't have a degree but has held a variety of jobs over the years and is having the same problem. His best bet has been with the temporary hiring agencies like PemTec. Not so much for the jobs as for the networking...he's met a few people the past 3 months thru the temp jobs and has found a part-time permanent job with the school district. Now he hopes to further his networking and at least hear about possible positions.

I think Springfield or Rogers are better bets for full-time skilled/professional positions but the travel is often prohibitive. On top of that, you have the whole poor economy thing working against you.

Good luck and keep plugging at it.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 PM

246 posts, read 629,383 times
It's a long story but we moved here without jobs. My husband was a General Contractor licensed by the state we lived in but there is no such thing here. He can do anything in related fields. He originally wanted to work for someone else but after interviewing the hours, job description, and pay scale just didn't add up for him. So he got his plumbing and electrical license and went into business for himself (again) and without any advertising or soliciting he picks what jobs he wants to do - through
networking. So going into business (yet again) for ourselves was the only way to take care of that problem.

As for me - I have not sought work here since moving but my background is in radio and banking. The radio stations wanted me but again the job description and the salary just didn't add up in my book. I don't want to work at a bank but I've had banking jobs offered to me here (without me asking) and as it was offered to me was - "With benefits and wages negotiable." Course I've never pursued it to see if they'll back what they say.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area