Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM

175 posts, read 595,160 times

Advertisements

In a somewhat unprecedented move, a number of Utah counties have declared a "state of emergency" due to the economic impact the government shutdown has had on tourism.

When first reported last night, I thought perhaps it was a way to recoup revenue lost from the federal government. Now, it appears it was really intended to open the Mighty 5 back up.

According to this article in today's Spectrum, they are now awaiting word from the governor.
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/2...r-closed-parks

Quote from The Spectrum:
“We’re not asking for federal funds in this resolution,” said Iron County Commissioner Dave Miller. “We are asking for them to restore the parks to an open status, and if they are not going to do it we will do it ourselves.”

Following word from the governor today, the Iron County commissioners have ordered Iron County Sherriff Mark Gower to prepare to unlock all restrooms and any roads that are barricaded. Gower said he is ready and willing to do as he’s been asked.

“We will do it in an orderly and controlled manner, but we will do whatever is necessary to open those lands,” Gower said.

When asked what he planned to do if met with resistance by the federal government, Gower said he still would open the federal lands.

“I don’t want to use force or violence,” Gower said. “I don’t want it to get ugly, but at some point they are going to have to step aside.”

Washington County Commissioner, Alan Gardner said his county also will do what it has to do to open the federally managed lands, including sending Sheriff Cory Pulsipher to remove barriers."

Only in Utah...I'm so glad we moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
The parks don't belong to the state. This is grandstanding. They are federal land. They belong to all the taxpayers in this country.

The feds would be within their rights using force against local authorities in this situation.

Utah has a long history of brain dead local officials in these rural counties acting in this manner. A lot of rural Utahns just can't accept the fact that the federal government owns 75% of the lands within Utah's boundaries. Living next to federal land isn't the same thing as owning it. The people who live in these areas need to figure that out. The land is owned by everyone, including people who live in Maine and Massachusetts.

This problem will end when the GOP dominated House of Representatives accepts that its time to fund the whole federal government and not just the parts it likes.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 AM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
Well markg, I'm one of those taxpayers so I own the land as well so there should be no reason I shouldn't be able to walk inside Zion National Park and partake in all it has to offer, right? I don't need any services such as the shuttle, stocked bathrooms or information from any rangers. All I want to do is go for a hike.

Since you wanted to toss in a political slant, I'll just ask what's wrong with funding everything but Obamacare while they continue to argue over that? The GOP tried to offer a compromise to open the parks but Reid won't even put it up for a vote. Why is that? Because he KNOWS he'll get slaughtered by the public for being so childish.

Inarticulate Republicans by Thomas Sowell on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM

markg,

I suppose time will tell whether this is grandstanding or not. The words being used around here seem rather strong and now that I've lived here a while, I could see it happening. I guess it's all in the follow-through.

In the midst of all this darness surrounding the government shutdown and looming debt ceiling debacle, my purpose was to share a positive story of hope and common sense. Where ordinary folks see injustice and decide enough is enough. If the children in D.C. can't play nice, let's not let their temper tantrums disrupt life as we know it. Then, you insult us and blot out our sunshine. When you think about it, it's really a David vs. Goliath story. And, who besides liberals, root for Goliath? I don't get that. But, what do I know, I'm just a rural Utahn.

You're right about one thing though. This land is all of ours, not just the politicians who think they own it. We invite everyone to come share in its beauty (hopefully soon) - including all the fine folks of Maine and Massachusetts. Nobody should really own God's most awesome creations. They're truly spectacular if you haven't seen them!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM

UPDATE

ABC 4 in Salt Lake is reporting that some Utah parks will open at 8:00 am tomorrow. Parks include: Zion, Canyonlands, Natural Bridges and Hovenweep. I guess we'll see what happens in the morning. I would have waited till Friday since the forcast is for rain tomorrow.

Several Utah Counties plan on opening up National Parks on their own - 4Utah.com

Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
We should already know by now that the Fed is a system of it's OWN for it's OWN and they don't give a rats hind end about US....the American people. And yeah, they can stick that Obamacare right where the sun don't shine as well along with their other agenda's that have nothing to do with the welfare of the citizens. I say open the parks and be done with it, let the fools in Washington fight among themselves while we get on with the business at hand living our lives and hopefully running this forsaken country.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Breaking News: Federal Government to allow states to open national parks.

According to the report at 11:30am MT, Utah Governor Herbert reached a deal with the DOI Secretary and says they have a resolution to open the parks. No details yet.

Obama administration allows states to reopen national parks | FOX13Now.com

Federal government to allow states to open national parks - 4Utah.com

The Governor had asked the counties late last night to hold off on their plans to open the parks this morning, regardless, while he tried to reach a deal with the DOI. I assume some parks in Utah may likely open up Friday/Sat. Good news!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOutsideAndPlay View Post
Breaking News: Federal Government to allow states to open national parks.

According to the report at 11:30am MT, Utah Governor Herbert reached a deal with the DOI Secretary and says they have a resolution to open the parks. No details yet.

Obama administration allows states to reopen national parks | FOX13Now.com

Federal government to allow states to open national parks - 4Utah.com

The Governor had asked the counties late last night to hold off on their plans to open the parks this morning, regardless, while he tried to reach a deal with the DOI. I assume some parks in Utah may likely open up Friday/Sat. Good news!

You folks in Utah are leading the way for the rest of the nation. Here in Tennessee we have Smoky mountain park, and your example points the way out of this. Its our duty as Americans to assert our rights to use the land that belongs to us, not the bickering politicians. The feds did not want to see their authority compromised on national TV as state officials forced a national park open, and now they look to be backing down. Their foolishness is being checked by state power just as our founding fathers intended. Well done patriots.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
You folks in Utah are leading the way for the rest of the nation. Here in Tennessee we have Smoky mountain park, and your example points the way out of this. Its our duty as Americans to assert our rights to use the land that belongs to us, not the bickering politicians. The feds did not want to see their authority compromised on national TV as state officials forced a national park open, and now they look to be backing down. Their foolishness is being checked by state power just as our founding fathers intended. Well done patriots
The situation with Tennessee and states back east maybe different. However, the people who live in Utah don't own 75% of the state.

Utah was originally part of Mexico and when the Treaty of Guadulupe Hidalgo was signed which ended the Mexican War of 1846-1847, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were ceded to the United States of America. The United States government has ceded about 25% of that land to private individuals through various acts. The Homestead Act, the Railroad Land Grants Act, and the Land Grant College Act are examples. When Utah became a state, the federal government gave Utah about 5% of its lands as a gift to fund the School Trust Fund and provide for the establishment of public schools.

The rest of the land belongs to the federal government and is controlled by the Congress which is elected by the people and by government agencies such as the Bureau of Land Management, Department of Defense, National Park Service, and the US Forest Service. The directors of these agencies are appointed by the President, who of course is elected by all the people.

In short, the states don't own the national parks here. They never did and never will. The only argument that can be made is that various communities are adjacent to the parks and are affected by decisions to close the parks.

I don't oppose what appears to be in the works: That is a deal where the state agrees to pay the expense of keeping the parks open while the government is shut down. However, the long and short of it is that neither the cities, the counties, or the state of Utah owns the land reserved to the federal government in this state.

BTW, I'm glad its that way because the truth is that most people here would have prevented the formation of the five national parks we have here if they could have. Escalante National Monument was controversial because of grazing and potential coal mining interests. If you go further back in Utah history, Canyonlands National Park was controversial too. Largely because local folks wanted to tear up the land for minerals and lumber.

Just something to think about when you sing the praises of these local officials... And, of course, there would have been no need for all this grandstanding if Congress had simply done its duty and agreed to fund the entire federal government instead of just the parts it likes.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Just something to think about when you sing the praises of these local officials... And, of course, there would have been no need for all this grandstanding if Congress had simply done its duty and agreed to fund the entire federal government instead of just the parts it likes.
You just can't admit that these "local officials" puffed out their chest and pushed the Feds around can you? The bottom line is the Feds know that if they would have clashed with the Utah authorities trying to open up the National Parks that it would have been a political nightmare. Consequently they backed down before it became national news so they could save a little face....but we here on the little ol' Utah forum know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George