Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:28 AM

2 posts, read 16,496 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm considering moving to St. George from San Leandro, CA, with my wife and two kids, ages 3 and 7. We are not Mormon, and we are African American. We come from a devout Baptist background, and attend a Black Baptist church in San Leandro. I have family in Salt Lake City, and when we go to visit them, we always drive through St. George. It seems like a very peaceful town. Anyone from California I'm sure is aware that certain parts of the Bay Area aren't necessarily safe to raise children. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Black community in Southern Utah. Is there a decent sized community of African Americans in St. George? Does anyone know if there are any predominately Black Christian congregations in this area, or other organizations pertaining to the African American community? And can anyone tell me what the view is on African Americans by the majority of the community?

Last edited by jtkalehua; 07-23-2010 at 04:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM

26 posts, read 86,672 times
As there are no replies I am assuming that there are no Black people in St George...Wow.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,228 times
According to Wikipedia the demographics are 92% white and .24% African American. I found it doing research about moving there.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

26 posts, read 86,672 times
That is low, I bet you would struggle to find anything lower (%) anywhere else in US, especially considering that the population is over 72k.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 16,496 times
Wow that is very low. Obviously whether or not there is a large black community isn't the only factor in my decision to move out there. I'm a little nervous about the Mormon culture out there, I'm not LDS, and the things I've read on here about the culture worries me. I'm mainly concerned about my children, I don't want them feeling ostracized because they not LDS, and on top of that, if they're the only black children at school.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:54 AM

99 posts, read 317,868 times
I worked with a black man in St George and he died last april so I think its now .18%. There is more Semoans than there are blacks.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM

10 posts, read 26,899 times
Been in the St George area last three days and seen only two black families, not sure if they live here or just passing by.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne158 View Post
According to Wikipedia the demographics are 92% white and .24% African American. I found it doing research about moving there.
The African-American population had increased substantially in the past 10-years or so. I believe the black population is approaching 1,000. St. George is now under 90% Caucasian. The U.S. Census Bureau 2008 estimate is now about 1.3% Black or African American. I'm not certain if there are actually churches or organization that cater specifically to the African American community since it is still a very small percentage to the total population.

The population is still predominantly LDS so yes, that may be more of a concern. The African Americans I've met in St. George have been LDS. One family I know has roots in the are as they have been there for two generations. The others have moved from the SLC area within the past ten years.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 58,952 times
Default Not many.

There isn't a big population of African-Americans here but I doubt you would encounter discrimination because of your race...if anything you would probably find it based on your religion. Baptists have a bad reputation among LDS and vice versa. That being said if you are outgoing and kind you would probably overcome that hurdle pretty easily. The black people I have met actually like it a lot here, you just have to be willing to extend yourself and you will be fine.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM

16 posts, read 51,967 times
I haven't heard or noticed any LDS people saying they have problems/issues with any baptists...

I doubt that it is a significant prob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George