Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Place to move with 3 young children (under 12 yrs. of age)?
St. George, Utah 10 38.46%
Ivins, Utah 3 11.54%
Las Vegas, NV (Summerlin) 8 30.77%
None of the above 6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post

Also...
Why does the woman who had a very negative work experience need to 'prove' her allegations to you ? Why does she need to list examples of this hostility ? Because you are LDS you are biased on this board to anyone who is not LDS - obvious in your comments when anyone says something happened to them or had some negative experience with those whom are LDS.... How 'fair and balanced' is that ???!!!
Look, I don't want to start the infamous LDS vs. Non-LDS debate, but when I hear someone make an allegation, I would like it backed up. It has been my experience that it is much easier to throw out a generalization than to look at the deeper issue. If someone can provide a concrete example, it goes a long way to proving or disproving a particular issue.

In the case above, we have four pieces of evidence. She was the only non-LDS worker of the 12, the woman's work hours were curtailed, she was denied a promotion, and she was asked to move to second shift.

But we do not know the whole story. Since she is a relatively new move-in, she may have less seniority than the other workers. The incident could just as well be indicative of her company's economic difficulties as it could be of discrimination. Maybe the company could not afford to give her the promotion, for her to keep her full hours, and for all the workers to stay on the day shift. As an outsider, that is at least as plausible as the discrimination claim.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM

12 posts, read 67,640 times
Okay, let's get back to the original question. Let me ask this, do you want to live in Southern Utah or willing to move more North? We have homes in both Ivins and a small city up North that is very similar to Ivins. Anyway, we love Ivins. You get a small town feel with beautiful backdrops of the red rocks and close to Snow Canyon for hiking, biking etc. We were raised Mormon but have gone non-mormon for our entire adult lives. We have three kids under the age of 6 and you will find a huge mormon influence in Utah in general, but more so in a small town like St. George or Ivins. That is not necessarily a bad thing, Mormons are fine people just like any other religious person. You will find, however, that you will be excluded socially, just as Melaniee has mentioned. It's just the way they do things. You will, however, be able to find plenty of non-mormons to include in your own social circle, just get involved with lots of activities to be able to meet new people. Aside from the Mormon aspect, you will love Ivins more that St. George, but either are great. If you consider moving North, I can let you know more about cities there too.
Good luck in your decision!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 PM

62 posts, read 427,952 times
Thanks gemini chick for the info. - that was very informative, I appreciate it. Sounds like Ivins is a great place. What is the other place up North that you mentioned ? Thanks....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 39,330 times
It is too bad that the woman has had a bad experience in her workplace. I know plenty of people in same circumstances who are LDS. However I'm not one to say that her workplace isn't religiously biased. It's just a shame if it is. I think she should file an official complaint with Workforce Services, or with the City.

Keikekai- I think St. George is great no matter your religion. The activites are awesome, and if you need a change of scenery, Las Vegas is only 2 hours away, or Mesquite is 45 minutes away. Zion National Park, Salt Lake City @ 4 1/2 hrs.... I hope you won't let one person's negative experience change your mind against this area. Santa Clara is a little pricier, but you may also want to look at homes in Hurricane, Ivins, Veyo or Washington. (Some of the nearby towns.)

Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 39,330 times
St. George, Utah is Pure Fun in the Sun!!

Found this website with some info.. hope it helps!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 PM

242 posts, read 1,117,199 times
I've lived in St. George and Las Vegas. More going on in Vegas, but more crime as well. Any large city will have more crime. Yes there can be fat heads on both sides of the Mormon and Non Mormon debate. Colorado City/Hilldale was known by the term Short Creek by the locals. It still is. there is a wash right by the town tha is named Short Creek, hence the name. Polygs are easy to spot. They mostly leave you alone and I leave them alone. I don't like it, but I'm not going to judge them. I'm Mormon, but you could call me more of a radical. I ask questions which make them think. In a community of people who mostly lock step and do not question this is considered radical. On the flip side, if you get involved, are friendly and don't put people down who might have a different view than yours, you will do as well in St. George as Vegas.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,065 times
Default Mormon influence

I live in Ivins and I absolutely love it. This is the most beautiful area year round. I have 3 young children. There are plenty of activities for them. We go hiking a lot, ride on the bike trails, play sports, etc. This is the perfect place if you love outdoor activities. Now about the Mormon influence. I am Mormon and it is sad to hear that people are being excluded for not being a member of the Church. That isn't what our religion is about, and I am sorry that some have been treated that way. I live in a neighborhood full of members and non-members, and we are friends with all of them. My children play with non-members the same as with their friends from church. This area does have a huge Mormon influence, but that should be a good thing. It should help keep the area honest, clean and a good environment to raise children. Hopefully you find that if you move here. Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 PM

17 posts, read 321,570 times
Las Vegas, NV is NOT a good place to raise children. The smog is the worst and the crime rate is sky high. I've lived in St George, UT for 5 years now (came from CA) and it is like "kid" heaven there. Everything seems geared toward children and family. On a Saturday you can't get near a park as every square inch is taken up with children's sports teams. There is so much to do around St. George you will NEVER be bored, unless you don't like outdoor stuff. Prices are raising all the time as more and more people move into the area. Ivins is very nice, so is the Santa Clara area - also Washington Fields in Washington, UT which is on the east side of St. George. My husband and I are not Mormon and we have a very active social life with both LDS and non-LDS friends. The most wonderful aspect of living in St. George is the community spirit and the willingness of complete strangers to help you in a time of need. We recently saw a motorcyclist hit by a car and you wouldn't believe how many people pulled over and ran to help this poor man. During the floods a couple of years ago complete strangers pitched in to help anyone in need and not just as the floods were happening but for months afterward. There are some truly wonderful aspects to living in a largely Mormon community - I'm almost sorry that the population of St. George is changing with the influx of new residents, I believe the ratio now is 60 or 70% non-Mormon. I hope the community spirit and family oriented aspects won't die out with the change.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:25 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Since I've seen that the OP hasn't checked back, I looked up her post history and noticed that she is now leaning towards Colorado Springs.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the sentiments that St. George being a good place to raise children. I agree.

I also agree with Cbundy's comments about hoping that the family oriented aspects won't die out with the large migration to the area.

Let's keep it quiet and not spread it around. *heh*

Old 09-08-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,929 times
Red face Non-Mormon signs non-aggression pact

I am currently a non-mormon and was required to sign a "Non-Mormon" agreement with the State of Utah when I moved here from California. My husband and I are both retirees, love prunes and enjoy seeing the nearby pristine wilderness raped and pillaged by our brand new 18-hole golf course! (My husband Jerry can't wait!) Being non-mormon, I have noticed that children and women hide from us whenever we drive by. We have gotten used to this but it bothers me that just because I'm a minority (with a 1 million dollar home and my fellow white race as neighbors), I have felt the "persecution" that so many non-mormons have felt. The other day Jerry and I were eating at the Roccoco Restaurant and a "Mormon" came in a sat down at a table. Needless to say I was appalled!! I felt cut off, excluded,and isolated. I then asked the little brown Mexican/Guatemalan gentlemen bussing my dishes, if he could get me a "to-go" box, a mint, a handtowel, and a check. I love these little "latino" people (who work these miniscule jobs so I can relax! Thank heavens!) Finally, in a huff, Jerry and I went home in tears and spent the rest of the night playing Pinochle with our other "non-mormon" friends Bob and Jacqueline. I feel persecuted and now I know what it's like to be a victim. I finally understand the suffering of Sudanese refugees and/or black people in Africa. I have felt the plight of our Native American brethren (even though they make fabulous jewelry at rest stops). And I have felt the suffering of Dr. Martin Luther King and his mighty march for freedom from bad stuff. And all of this drama happening right here in our cute little community of St. George! I now feel that same oppression and suffering. I look out on our golf course and our coy pond and as a tear falls from my eye I think "Oh wait...I guess this forum is about kids activities in St. George...so...I really don't know if there are any kids activities and, I have kids, but I have disowned them due to their current financial status." I'm keeping my money right here in my little pocket. I feel good helping my fellow man and letting issues like, having a mormon neighbor, stop me from leading a normal life. Now, whenever we leave the house my husband and I wear boxes on our heads and non-descript clothing. We usually aren't noticed and shopping at the local art gallery has become so much less stressful. Anyway, good luck!

Sincerely,

Cindy "Babs" Arnold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George