Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,818 times

Advertisements

I hope to buy a "winter" home in St. George to escape Michigan winters. I'll probably live in St. George for about 4 months out of the year. Are there any second home owners on this forum that can make recommendations about how to handle home security for those times when a home is vacant? Of course, I'm also concerned with this issue for my home in Michigan. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Somewhere you need not only be secure, but for 8 months, you need to maintain the outside also.
So a service that does it all, maybe the answer ?

Have you checked in to that yet ?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Do you plan on renting it out at all, or just leaving it vacant? Maybe you can pay a property management company to check on it and then get a lawn service person to take care of the outside. I am not sure. We have property management company take care of ours, but we are in a different situation because we are renting ours out until we move there next year.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,818 times
Default Second home security

Irman and Chickrae - thanks for your responses. For my Michigan home I have a lawn service cut the grass. That's half the battle. I need to find someone to clear sidewalks and driveway of snow in winter to help make it look occupied. In St. George, the homes I've made offers on are in HMA areas that cover front yard maintenance. That helps to keep it looking occupied. But I think I need a mechanism whereby I will be informed if something happens.

I am thinking about a property management company look after my Utah home since it will not be occupied for much of the year. I'm considering the possibility of renting it, but since it's only empty for a maximum of 7 or 8 months, I doubt that will be successful.

Security is a smaller issue for my Michigan home since I've been in my neighborhood there long enough that I can trust my neighbors and can easily keep in touch.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I'll be perfectly blunt and honest with you. I work in that industry. I have studied many of the pros and cons of all the security systems out there, and to put it as plain and simple as possible, in most jurisdictions ADT, Brinks, Protection One and all of the rest are very ineffective at best. Why you ask? They all are using inexpensive and ancient technologies to get the job done. Motion detection has the highest rate of false alarms in the industry. They all use them. They also promote wireless technology which has further weaknesses.

I happen to work for a company that tends to cater about 98% to the commercial marketplace, where they can NOT afford an intrusion. If you get an intrusion with ADT or the rest you:

#1: won't have a clue why it went off, just that the circuit got triggered.
#2: It's too late as the intruder is already IN the home taking your stuff and knows they have X amount of time before law enforcement even considers coming on that call. Keep in mind statistically over 95% of alarm calls are false, and believe me, law enforcement KNOWS this. IN some citys they have ordinances in force that don't allow them to go on a alarm call UNTIL it has been verified. This required guard service, yet another expense and lost time allowing the burglers time to clean you out.http://www.sonitrolofutah.com

Fact: Sonitrol is the ONLY verified security system in existence. PERIOD. We can confirm someone is trying to break into your home PRIOR to their entry, allowing law enforcement time to get there and put the cuffs on the intruder. If you're curious you can check this out at
It would cost you considerably to get this type of system in your home, but I can say with confidence it's the ONLY way to go if you would rather the burglar end up in jail then with your stuff and your home damaged. Just check it out

Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 PM

134 posts, read 347,962 times
From the winters I have spent there, St. George seems like a very safe city. Just get to know your neighbours. If they live there full time, that is your best defence against break-ins. You can buy web cams to view the inside and outside of your home via the internet, so when you are in Michigan you can view the cams and vice versa if you install cams in your house in Michigan. The cameras are not expensive.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 AM

52 posts, read 165,553 times
Crime is so low here. I don't know the stats for home robberies but I'm sure you can find them. My neighbor has a lawn service and I know he and his wife often look after the properties for absentee owners. there are a few gated, security neighborhoods, Stone Cliff, Entrada and The Ledges. Depending on the amenities of your home here it could make a nice little profit as a vacation rental.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Talk to Monarch Property Management, 352 Riverside Drive, St. George. (435) 628-3950

Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
we use a company called Snowbird Valet. I think you can just google their name.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM

41 posts, read 212,254 times
although st. george crime rate is below us average, the theft rate (per 100,000) seems very high...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George