Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM

15 posts, read 42,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm guessing I was in a St. Louis bubble because I didn't see the blight that is suppose to exist? Across the river was another story. I thought it would be a good idea to take some photos of the arch from across the river, so I unknowingly drove across the MLK bridge thinking there was a park along the river I could find...wrong. I ended up in some really sketchy areas without a map and the sun going down. I quickly realized it wasn't a place to get lost. Managed to make my way back to the highway and got the heck out of dodge. I don't think I've ever been as concerned about being in the wrong place as that.
Unfortunately, every city has its bad areas, including St. Louis. East St. Louis is pretty scary looking, and not where I would recommend driving around when looking for scenery.

Other than the accidental trip into one of the worse parts of the city and your first hotel, I'm really glad you enjoyed St. Louis. I love that city, and even though I lived in the suburbs (IL side), I happened to go into St. Louis itself several times a year (basically as often as I could manage). There is a lot to see and do there, and I am certainly hoping I'll be back within the next few years. It's definitely my favorite of the small cities in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 08:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
So glad you enjoyed yourself -- seems like you packed some great stuff into a relatively short trip! You really got our there and saw the different neighborhoods, which is really where St. Louis shines!

It used to bother me when I was younger than people love to dump all over St. Louis, but some years and perspective have taught me to roll with it. I can't convince someone with a predetermined idea of St Louis any differently (unless I get the chance to show them around town!) but I can relish the fantastically low cost of living haha!

Once you cross the river it can feel like a whole other world honestly, though there is also some terrible blight on the north side of the city itself as well. You were right to head back the way you came from. I've driven pretty extensively through some of those areas during the day, but it's definitely not the kind of place you want to find yourself even at dusk.

We'd love to have you back next year! We'll have plenty of spring/summer suggestions for you I have no doubt!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Sounds like you had a great trip. Major kudos to you for getting out and exploring the city rather than staying in one or two places.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
You didn't do City Museum? You have to return one day then. City Museum IS St. Louis (outside of the Cardinals), imho.

And take advantage of the free zoo and science center while at it.

Glad you had a good time. STL is a fun city with great city-scenery. I hope to make it back there one day.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Original poster, you hit many of the good areas and interesting places and things to do. Next time add that summer Cards baseball game and hit up the BBQ at Pappy's near SLU for good cheap eats too.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
You didn't do City Museum? You have to return one day then.
That's what I'm talking about...! St. Louis commands more than a 3 day visit to get a true grasp of the city. It's definitely not on my list of "been there, done that" places like San Antonio, Indy, Jacksonville, among so many other places I've visited.

Again, thanks to everyone for the comments and count me in as a big (no, huge) fan of St. Louis!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis