Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:11 AM

589 posts, read 1,108,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I've always heard that Springfield, Columbia, Jeff City, etc. have a habit of loading up their homeless and dumping them in downtown STL.

I have heard this of other places, but haven't heard it about STL. I saw a lot of homeless when visting Hawaii. Rumore there was cities in the mainland fly the homeless out there. I wonder if this is just an old wives tale about homeless in general. I wonder if anyone ever got proof of such shenanigans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:45 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,678,565 times
^In the St. Louis region it's def. true, there are pics of even cops (latest one I saw was U City) dumping homeless downtown. Rice also broadcasts across four states calling people to his downtown shelter even though he is ten times over his legal capacity there...

Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Why don't we build a bunch of new shelters everywhere instead of stacking poor people like cordwood anywhere at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonFire View Post
Agreed St. Charles, and St. Louis county should own up and take some responsibility with homelessness.
I trust you've both sent very generous donations to the counties to achieve this. Also, perhaps a lot of the homeless should take some responsibility for themselves.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:08 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,678,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I trust you've both sent very generous donations to the counties to achieve this. Also, perhaps a lot of the homeless should take some responsibility for themselves.
You don't understand this at all... Some of these places fought building retirement homes, you could have a 100% funded shelter and it's not going to happen...

Old 12-24-2014, 11:34 AM

10,022 posts, read 8,655,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
^In the St. Louis region it's def. true, there are pics of even cops (latest one I saw was U City) dumping homeless downtown. Rice also broadcasts across four states calling people to his downtown shelter even though he is ten times over his legal capacity there...
Do you ever watch that other channel he has about how to live off the grid?
There's a lot of interesting and useful information on there. The first time I watched it showed him out in the woods standing next to a machine that looked like a still. I thought he was teaching folks how to make moonshine but it was some kind of gasoline additive making device.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You don't understand this at all... Some of these places fought building retirement homes, you could have a 100% funded shelter and it's not going to happen...
Actually, I do understand but I also know there's a huge difference between retirement homes and homeless shelters. There's a huge difference between low-income seniors, if that's who you're referring to, and the chronically homeless.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
Chronic homeless is something that has to be dealt with.

I believe there are enough resources at this point and time for no Veteran who has ever served our country to be homeless.

I feel sorry for those who are disabled and find themselves living on the street. I don't know the percentage but they are out there and they need to be taken care of. Shelters are not designed nor do they have the resources to help the disabled. Many times the people in this category are taken advantage of by other homeless and some institutions who don't have their best interests.

I don't feel sorry for the chronic homeless who are just lazy and don't want the responsibility that life brings. There is a whole subculture of those who have given up on taking responsibility for many reasons. They live off of soup kitchens and go from shelter to shelter always searching for the next program. Some may even try a different city to ride their resources for a while. In either case they need to be dropped by the system.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:33 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,024,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I've always heard that Springfield, Columbia, Jeff City, etc. have a habit of loading up their homeless and dumping them in downtown STL.
Is that accurate? That's a little hard to believe. I know when I was at Mizzou many years ago they had a large homeless population attributed largely to the deposit on cans.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:56 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Is that accurate? That's a little hard to believe. I know when I was at Mizzou many years ago they had a large homeless population attributed largely to the deposit on cans.
I've always heard that too. I know it is popular for suburban areas like Fenton Bellville and quite a few other suburbs and exurban. If it is true about Springfield, that is dirty.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:19 PM

79 posts, read 119,242 times
I know this is an old topic but I wanted to address it anyhow since I've been ill and just came back online after some time to recover.

As a volunteer at a food pantry in Warren County, I can assure you that if we had a shelter out here it would almost always be full. Due to job cutbacks and the inability to earn a living wage in this area many residents can't pay rent and end up hotel-surfing at a few places here and in St. Charles County. Many of those hotels have roaches and bedbugs but because they don't cause "an immediate health risk" they don't have to take care of them. Part of this is because we don't have the funds to make sure that such things are taken care of, and the other part is that if the owners have to keep the hotels clean and bug-free the rates would go up so high that the people staying there couldn't afford to pay the already high fees. Without that option, a good portion of the people using these as a substitute for shelters wouldn't have a place to sleep. They get caught in a cycle where they pay so much to the hotel that they can't save up enough for a deposit and first month's rent; also, because they're staying at a hotel, they don't have a rental history so they're a poor rental risk. There is a whole population out here that can't find living situations they can afford. The funding for NECAC and Section 8 is stretched so thin that the money isn't available for new clients.

Unless you are stuck in this cycle or work with the population that does it's hard to understand and easy to judge. It's easy to say, "take responsibility for yourselves" when you don't see the struggle they face. I know one family that got a place after a year in a hotel and then when the new apartment management raised the rent by $200 a month they ended up right back where they had been. The hotel costs them $1000 a month but they can pay a week or even a couple of days at a time, and you can't do that with an apartment. The downside is they can't save up enough to pay that precious deposit and first month's rent - for a two bedroom apartment, about $1600 to $1800 - and with the unemployment and poor wages here because of the lack of good-paying jobs, the housing assistance just isn't available.....so they are locked into this mess again. They did find a place until the landlord found out where they were staying, and he decided that they were a poor risk so turned them down.

Poverty is more than not having the wisdom to use your money wisely. It's a lifestyle and a mindset that is very hard to overcome and break out of. We can sit and preach all we want but until we're willing to donate, volunteer, and press for legislation preventing discrimination based on homeless status, this problem isn't going anywhere. It's far better to use what funds are available to build decent, clean, low-cost housing and police it to keep it crime-free than it is to spend time finding ways to blame the poor for being poor. Until the minimum wage is a living wage we will fight this problem, and until we realize that 90% of the wealth in this country is controlled by 1% of the population and decide to do something about it, we will have problems like homelessness and joblessness. Yes, some of it is preventable, but not all of it. We need change and we need to try and understand instead of criticizing. Welfare isn't what it used to be. People can't just sit on welfare any more. The limit for financial assistance is 5 years in a lifetime and the payments are below the poverty level -- not even enough to pay monthly bills. Gone are the days of welfare mothers having baby after baby just to get more money, though even when payments were higher there weren't that many of them. Now you have to be past poor to even qualify for less than $200 a month for a family of 4.

Homelessness is about more than money and mindset. It's a societal problem. Shelters are needed and will be needed unless and until we find a way to solve the housing problem. Don't put all the blame on the homeless. There is a bigger problem at hand here. Shifting the blame won't change anything. We need to look at it realistically and think up a way to deal with it in a constructive manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis