Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Also, does anyone have any experience with regard to living in STL vs. Cleveland? I am considering both places (metro). It seems like STL has a better climate, but Cleveland may have a better culture. But Idk.
I can't do the live there comparison but I spent about a week there in October the year before last on business. As is my custom when time permits, I made a point to explore the city and spend some time in a couple of local watering holes. Not where the kids go to hookup, or the tourist places - the neighborhood bars like you find in St. Louis City and yes St. Louis County.

I found the people in those establishments to be exactly like the average St. Louisans you find in similar establshments here - just with weird accents. I even watched Cleveland lose a one game baseball playoff in a little place where everyone knew each other but me. You know, you walk in and every conversation stops while they try to figure out who the heck you are? I just walked in and introduced myself and had a great time, ate a great hot dog with mustard and onions - apparently a local thing there. They found me a bit of an oddity as a Cardinal fan. Don't see many of us up there. I did root for the Indians.

I don't know if this helps because this is probably not the kind of culture you are looking for I suspect. But I found the culture to my liking and much like St. Louis. You can walk into any neighbord bar in St. Louis and find the same people. Just different accents. The Lake is kinda cool too. I went back this winter for a brief trip - bloody cold I'll tell ya. They also reminded me of each other in other ways. Both big Catholic towns, rust belt cities, great old architecture, buildings, homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 02:24 PM

135 posts, read 280,420 times
Quote:
Are people hostile toward transplants or do they just not care much for them?
Not at all. I'm a transplant; foreign, in fact. Never had a problem. Love living here.

Quote:
I just want a few gay or straight friends and I'm all set.
You'll be fine here.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Do you guys think that St. Louis is a better metro to live in than Cleveland? I have been comparing the two a lot and need to decide within the next 2 months on which one to move to.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
For what it's worth, my friend has been living in Cleveland for a year after a few years in St. Louis, and the short version of his take was that it was basically the same but with more snow and less gooey butter cake (and closer to his coastal hometown).

Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 18,963 times
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the "metro". I have immensely enjoyed my time on The Loop in University City, think Maplewood and Kirkwood are pretty neat, but other than that..meh. If it's not in the city limits, it's not much use to me.

This afternoon I ended up in south county on an errand run with the girlfriend, and driving up 55..when you first see the top of the Arch gleaming in the sun..the roof of One Metropolitan Square..the instant you hit the City of St. Louis limits..you know you're home.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 AM

I wish I had time to visit both STL and CLE. Sigh.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchCity View Post
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the "metro". I have immensely enjoyed my time on The Loop in University City, think Maplewood and Kirkwood are pretty neat, but other than that..meh. If it's not in the city limits, it's not much use to me.

This afternoon I ended up in south county on an errand run with the girlfriend, and driving up 55..when you first see the top of the Arch gleaming in the sun..the roof of One Metropolitan Square..the instant you hit the City of St. Louis limits..you know you're home.
My favorite think about my in-laws' house in Nowhere, St. Clair County, is being able to see the Arch from their front yard.
Quote:
I wish I had time to visit both STL and CLE. Sigh.
If you can look for jobs in both and take the best offer you can get, that would be ideal. If you plan to visit CT frequently to visit family or something, consider how much distance is a factor. I'm partial to STL, but I'm sure Cleveland is a fine place to live.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:04 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
If you can look for jobs in both and take the best offer you can get, that would be ideal. If you plan to visit CT frequently to visit family or something, consider how much distance is a factor. I'm partial to STL, but I'm sure Cleveland is a fine place to live.
This. I personally feel there is a bit of a cultural difference between the two. Definitely a weather difference too, so if you can handle heat/humidity in the summer in STL over cold and snow of Cleveland winters (or vice versa) that should enter into it. Other than that, the place you get the best offer is what it should come down to.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:08 PM

I won't be getting a job lined up. I'm moving first, then looking for a job. Looking for a job remotely is a colossal waste of time and spoils my chances. I spent 5 months last year doing this, and most employers saw that I wasn't local and just threw my resume into the trash. Had I already been living there, more of them probably would have been willing to invite me in, even if unemployed. Being a nonlocal candidate is a MAJOR turn off to employers...even more so than being unemployed. Every job I ever landed was landed while I was unemployed. Plus, I will have 2-3 years worth of savings to live off with no job. And I need to move out of here in May because my lease ends.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:24 PM

Well, you know your business better than I do. Best of luck, wherever you end up! You should have plenty to be happy about either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis