Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,861,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is quite true. Most of the eastern Midwest is generally milder overall due to geographical proximity to the Great Lakes and prevailing weather patterns. Most of Indiana is milder than most of Missouri in the summer. Last year in southern Indiana we might have had 5-10 days above 90F for high temperatures. STL and KC generally have much hotter stretches of weather with brutal humidity.
You think those two are Southern cities and not Midwestern don't you? Climate is far from the only factor that makes a city Southern or Northern. There are a lot more Northern things about St. Louis and Kansas City than there are Southern. Culturally, linguistically, and demographically those cities are Midwestern. FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You think those two are Southern cities and not Midwestern don't you? Climate is far from the only factor that makes a city Southern or Northern. There are a lot more Northern things about St. Louis and Kansas City than there are Southern. Culturally, linguistically, and demographically those cities are Midwestern. FACT.
The Great Lakes region is infinitely superior for what I prefer in terms of climate because I dislike heat and humidity.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
Quote:
5 degrees is not substantially warmer, I'm sorry. When St. Louis is in the 90s, Indy is in the upper 80s with high humidity as well. I've been observing this pattern for 8 years now and here you are trying to tell me my eyes deceive me. Hardly what I would call tolerable. Indy has been hot as hell over the past 8 summers. I've seen it with my own two eyes. As far as winter difference, Indy is a bit colder than STL and a bit cooler in the summer than STL, but not by much. As far as St. Louis being a warm place in the winter, that's a flat out lie. Our winters are little better than Indys are. All you city-data posters are trying to make St. Louis look like Florida. It's nowhere near that.
No one is saying its Florida, but there is no way you're paying close attention to what the weather differences are. Or if you are, you're having some difficulty interpreting what those differences mean.

Here's what 4-5 degrees and a bit lower humidity looks like. Indianapolis' hottest month is August. Their average high in August (over those 8 years that you claim to have been paying close attention to) is lower than St. Louis' average high in June. The dew point in St. Louis in June is also higher than Indianapolis in August. Indianapolis at peak summer is most similar to early June in St. Louis. Early June in St. Louis is considered by most people to be the most pleasant part of the warm season.

The NWS looks at humidity and temperature to create weather advisories to inform people about health risks related to extreme temperatures. Their scale goes: caution, extreme caution, danger, extreme danger. A pretty average 84 degree summer day in Indy with elevated humidity rates caution. A pretty average 89 degree day in St. Louis with the same humidity elevation from norm in St. Louis rates dangerous. That's not my interpretation of discomfort. That is the National Weather Service's.

An extended period of relatively high heat in St. Louis has more dire consequences to health and mortality in St. Louis than it does in Indianapolis. An extended period of 10-14 days where the weather is 8 degrees over normal in July and August in St. Louis actually results in people dying at higher rates. People who study this stuff measure it. The same 8 degree warm spike over Indy averages doesn't result in more people dying.

I'm sorry if I'm skeptical of your preconceived notions of what St. Louis' weather is like, but there are these things called facts that keep me from accepting your interpretation of reality.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
No one is saying its Florida, but there is no way you're paying close attention to what the weather differences are. Or if you are, you're having some difficulty interpreting what those differences mean.

Here's what 4-5 degrees and a bit lower humidity looks like. Indianapolis' hottest month is August. Their average high in August (over those 8 years that you claim to have been paying close attention to) is lower than St. Louis' average high in June. The dew point in St. Louis in June is also higher than Indianapolis in August. Indianapolis at peak summer is most similar to early June in St. Louis. Early June in St. Louis is considered by most people to be the most pleasant part of the warm season.

The NWS looks at humidity and temperature to create weather advisories to inform people about health risks related to extreme temperatures. Their scale goes: caution, extreme caution, danger, extreme danger. A pretty average 84 degree summer day in Indy with elevated humidity rates caution. A pretty average 89 degree day in St. Louis with the same humidity elevation from norm in St. Louis rates dangerous. That's not my interpretation of discomfort. That is the National Weather Service's.

An extended period of relatively high heat in St. Louis has more dire consequences to health and mortality in St. Louis than it does in Indianapolis. An extended period of 10-14 days where the weather is 8 degrees over normal in July and August in St. Louis actually results in people dying at higher rates. People who study this stuff measure it. The same 8 degree warm spike over Indy averages doesn't result in more people dying.

I'm sorry if I'm skeptical of your preconceived notions of what St. Louis' weather is like, but there are these things called facts that keep me from accepting your interpretation of reality.
Sorry but if you've been paying attention at all Indy has frequently hit the lower 90s and upper 80s over the last 8 years. YOU are the one who hasn't been paying attention. And FYI early June in St. Louis is hot and humid. Therefore Indy is hot and humid. I've been to Indy in July and August and even June. It's not as hot as St. Louis but it's not a whole lot better. You are delusional if you think Indy doesn't have hot and humid summers because they do. Not as bad as St. Louis but it's not what I would call pleasant.

Last edited by U146; 05-29-2016 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 07:18 PM

128 posts, read 102,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How about an UPSIDE to living in St. Louis. I've been really thinking about this one. The best one I can come up with is the Cathedral Basilica. Fabulous place.
Considered positives but realized it is technically off-topic.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How about an UPSIDE to living in St. Louis. I've been really thinking about this one. The best one I can come up with is the Cathedral Basilica. Fabulous place.
Apparently one is our mild winters. I'm thinking of hanging up my current gig and opening a winter resort for Northern Tier retirees because our winters are so incredibly mild. They can escape the snow and cold, come down here more cheaply than Florida, wear shorts and T-shirts and play golf, shuffleboard, etc. However, no money back guarantee if it's not as mild as they apparently believe.

Another option would be VRBO - I could rent my house out because of the mild weather while my family spends the winter months in south Florida.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,019,847 times
Quote:
The Great Lakes region is infinitely superior for what I prefer in terms of climate because I dislike heat and humidity.
And then that means it is infinitely superior for all. I hate to break this to you, while I personally am actually a big fan of the Great Lakes region, a lot of people move away BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER. I know to acknowledge this would require you to consider other people's point of view so it probably won't happen.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You're gonna have to move further north than the Great Lakes then because those areas are capable of getting extreme heat and humidity. Doesn't happen very often but it sounds like you'd prefer Northern Canada.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Apparently one is our mild winters. I'm thinking of hanging up my current gig and opening a winter resort for Northern Tier retirees because our winters are so incredibly mild. They can escape the snow and cold, come down here more cheaply than Florida, wear shorts and T-shirts and play golf, shuffleboard, etc. However, no money back guarantee if it's not as mild as they apparently believe.

Another option would be VRBO - I could rent my house out because of the mild weather while my family spends the winter months in south Florida.
I've never heard of anyone using St. Louis as a winter resort. Are our winters mild compared to places further north? Of course. But it's still damn cold here with some to occasionally a lot of snowfall. The vast majority of people go further south.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
You're gonna have to move further north than the Great Lakes then because those areas are capable of getting extreme heat and humidity. Doesn't happen very often but it sounds like you'd prefer Northern Canada.
One of my preferred locations is Marquette, MI, right by Lake Superior. It is more Canadian than where most of the population lives further south in Canada. It is one of the locations on my retirement short list for sure even if there aren't many position openings in my career field there presently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis