Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 PM

685 posts, read 768,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
100k for a safe area in St. Louis? Where's that at?
You kidding?

Large parts of South County, JeffCo, St. Charles City, Dogtown, SW StL City, Maryville, Millstadt. Large parts of Caseyville, Collinsville, Granite City, Fairview, and Dupo. Probably several more that I'm not thinking of.

If you're patient, Maplewood, Edwardsville, Maryland Heights, St. Peters, Fenton, Wentzville. Shoot, I know a couple who just scored a sub-100k ranch on a quiet street in Swansea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 PM

685 posts, read 768,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
There is some truth to the lack of inclusiveness, though I have only found that to be true with the multi-generational wealth crowd. we started our child in an expensive private school but are changing to public partially for that reason (the suburban public schools are generally very good). For that reason, I might stear someone moving here away from a place like Ladue.
That's an excellent point about socially established neighborhoods. A classic example of old money vs. new money. I would add some tight-nit and/or ethnic neighborhoods to the list.

I hate to admit it, but some of the most friendly and welcoming areas have been the brand-new tracts on the exurban fringe. Almost everyone in Wentzville, for instance, grew up elsewhere. Thus, the multi-generational cliques don't exist.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Then you got fooled. No intelligent person drops 400k to live around thugs.
Yeah...odd that this "house in a nice area" is still on the market despite being in a major seller's market.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 AM

436 posts, read 521,686 times
Quote:
You kidding?

Large parts of South County, JeffCo, St. Charles City, Dogtown, SW StL City, Maryville, Millstadt. Large parts of Caseyville, Collinsville, Granite City, Fairview, and Dupo. Probably several more that I'm not thinking of.

If you're patient, Maplewood, Edwardsville, Maryland Heights, St. Peters, Fenton, Wentzville. Shoot, I know a couple who just scored a sub-100k ranch on a quiet street in Swansea.
Most of those places aren't in St. Louis and you kind of misjudged what the lady's target area is.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 AM

383 posts, read 392,828 times
Quote:
Then you got fooled. No intelligent person drops 400k to live around thugs.

I've lived here for a long time. It's incredibly easy to find a house in a safe area for 100k. You're clearly doing it wrong.
Then I am not the only fool and unintelligent person in the area. Other houses in my area go for over $500,000. Also, there were also other people using the coach - very well-to-do people (graduate degrees from Loyola, etc), I might add. Most were all far west suburbanites. Guess you are the only smart person in St. Louis. Next time I make a decision I will be sure to consult with you.

The foolish people here are those who cannot see the incredible crime and social problems in this city. It is a city in decay - and I say this after having lived in the Detroit area 2 years ago.

A perfect example of foolishness would be my husband's former boss, who lived in LaDue. He tried to bribe the nuns at St. Joseph's Academy with money to get his daughter in, but failed. Not surprising from a man that had a huge party for his teenager at his estate, which included all the beer you can drink for over 300 of their closest friends.

But I guess I am the only idiot here.

I would LOVE to see some pictures of a descent house in a safe are in SL for $100,000! I am sure it is a real gem.

Ultimately this thread was about the poster wanting opinions about the area. I was just giving my opinion. No need to attack people for their personal views and experiences.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Then I am not the only fool and unintelligent person in the area. Other houses in my area go for over $500,000. Also, there were also other people using the coach - very well-to-do people (graduate degrees from Loyola, etc), I might add. Most were all far west suburbanites. Guess you are the only smart person in St. Louis. Next time I make a decision I will be sure to consult with you.

The foolish people here are those who cannot see the incredible crime and social problems in this city. It is a city in decay - and I say this after having lived in the Detroit area 2 years ago.

A perfect example of foolishness would be my husband's former boss, who lived in LaDue. He tried to bribe the nuns at St. Joseph's Academy with money to get his daughter in, but failed. Not surprising from a man that had a huge party for his teenager at his estate, which included all the beer you can drink for over 300 of their closest friends.

But I guess I am the only idiot here.

I would LOVE to see some pictures of a descent house in a safe are in SL for $100,000! I am sure it is a real gem.

Ultimately this thread was about the poster wanting opinions about the area. I was just giving my opinion. No need to attack people for their personal views and experiences.
My!. You have not had a very good experience in St Louis at all! Your world has too much going on.

I see things for what they are. Metro statistics reveal crime is very average for the region. The city of St Louis has a crime problem due to the poverty being centered throughout the small city limits. If we had half the amount of land Houston has statistically wouldn't be considered as dangerous. I don't see the city as falling apart. I do believe its slowly progressing.

I think its rude to tell someone they are stupid for wanting to live where they want to and pay what they want to pay for a house.

Otoh, Because of your prejudice, I don't think you give an accurate assessment of the city to someone who is considering a relocation. Obviously your opinions are based on the news vs actually living and experiencing the city on a day-to-day basis.

If you felt safer in Detroit, move back. St. Louis is not going to be everyone town.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Don't let the responses get you down. A lot of people see the terrible crime and social problems in and around the metro and surrounding. It's tangible.

Quote:
Me too... His/her comment on this took me off guard.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
I'm sure I will get all kinds of grief for my opinion, but thankfully we still have freedom of speech- for now.
Ah, the twin defense of "it's just my opinion" and "freedom of speech". Translation: "this statement has no evidence to support it, but it isn't illegal for me to state it." It's not exactly a rousing endorsement of your own post.

You could literally find someone in every suburb on earth who has an anecdote about someone in the neighborhood running afoul of heroin. That's why we measure relative characteristics using statistics (which St. Louis metro fares well in) instead of counting anecdotes.

I hope you don't take the criticism personally, but I don't appreciate people spreading misinformation about my hometown. And yes, claiming that even good neighborhoods in St. Louis are somehow especially dangerous is misinformation. I think you watch too much local news, which tends toward sensational hysteria.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Otoh, Because of your prejudice, I don't think you give an accurate assessment of the city to someone who is considering a relocation. Obviously your opinions are based on the news vs actually living and experiencing the city on a day-to-day basis.
I live in the city and never watch local news. It's my opinion that St. Louis isn't exactly a beacon of intelligent life.

On the other hand I respect your decision to admire it or hold the city in any regard you choose.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Ah, the twin defense of "it's just my opinion" and "freedom of speech". Translation: "this statement has no evidence to support it, but it isn't illegal for me to state it." It's not exactly a rousing endorsement of your own post.

You could literally find someone in every suburb on earth who has an anecdote about someone in the neighborhood running afoul of heroin. That's why we measure relative characteristics using statistics (which St. Louis metro fares well in) instead of counting anecdotes.

I hope you don't take the criticism personally, but I don't appreciate people spreading misinformation about my hometown. And yes, claiming that even good neighborhoods in St. Louis are somehow especially dangerous is misinformation. I think you watch too much local news, which tends toward sensational hysteria.
Then why have forums? People can just look at government stats to formulate their own decisions on whether they want to move somewhere or city A is better than city B.

The experiences you have about something are relative to you.

A $100,000 house in Dogtown might be right up someone's alley but doesn't mean it fits everyone. It's that person's opinion.

Not sure why this thread got defensive because someone posted their experiences about living in both Houston and St. Louis, the exact topic of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis