Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,866,058 times

Advertisements

While I completely despise the Rams for leaving, it still saddens me that we are a two sport city now. We are easily large enough to be a 3 sport city still. Will we ever be a 3 sport city again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 03:20 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,674,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
While I completely despise the Rams for leaving, it still saddens me that we are a two sport city now. We are easily large enough to be a 3 sport city still. Will we ever be a 3 sport city again?
Are you ready to be flooded with Chief's games on TV ?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:17 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,310,714 times
I was in LA when the Rams left there. The high class restaurant across the street from the stadium changed their sign to read "Today's special: Lack of Ram".

Old 08-17-2016, 06:06 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,073,784 times
My friends and I were Rams season ticket holders for every season (20+). In a lot of ways I feel relief that I won't have to drag myself down to the dome, set up an early tailgate, and then watch atrocious football in a dimly lit garage. Most Sundays it felt like a waste of a perfectly good day.

My family has decided to throw in with the AZ Cardinals. We can still wear our Kurt Warner jerseys (although in Cardinal red) and root against the Rams all season. Going to watch NFL Sunday Ticket, have our backyard tailgate, and enjoy ourselves. I would like STL to be a 3 sport city again, but only if it's MLS or NBA.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:55 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,882,893 times
Will St. Louis root for the KC Chiefs now?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,403,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Will St. Louis root for the KC Chiefs now?
Some will, and some already did.

Many won't. I won't. Their own really wanted the Rams to leave and wanted the state to himself. He was on Kroenke's side and I will not root for his team. I'm pretty much done with football, it was my least favorite sport to watch. My son has chosen Carolina. At least their owner was initially supportive of St. Louis. I know someone else who picked the Packers...because no billionaire owner The Colts and Bears are also close.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 AM

116 posts, read 212,073 times
NO!!! I will not root for any team in the Cartel. While I will casually watch big games and do not fault the players, supporting anything NFL, is supporting the Cartel that unjustly allowed the Rams to leave ST. Louis. They allowed our fans to be lied to, the process was rigged and it was all about reaching that
sleazy Goodells financial targets. KC ownership voted yes to move the Rams. Whatever their motives
they voted yes, as did every Midwest team. I will not root for any of them! There's no reason to
support that cartel until they award STL a new team and admit they made a huge mistake. That will
never happen under Goodell is gone and probably never under new leadership. Kroenke, Demoff, Goodell,
Grubman, the entire charade, left a bad taste in my mouth. If StanK would have been truthful and
not led STL down a path to spend $16 million for nothing, I would be able to at least stomach the move
a bit better. It was a cluster and STL was the collateral damage to fulfill their greedy goals. STL residents
need to take a stand and have some self-respect. DO NOT support any NFL team! If you want to watch
the games, like the sport, fine, whatever. Just do not support a team, spend a dime or invest anything
into a team. They are all greedy and did not mind taking a big dump on STL. I will never support KC,
Indy, Chicago, TN, any of them. I will support a STL franchise. I wouldn't doubt if KC voted YES on the move to gain fans in the STL market, like they did when the Big Red moved. Don't fall for it!

Old 08-17-2016, 11:57 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,611,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
There's a good chance we'll get an MLS team, which is a smaller league but growing. I doubt we'll get an NBA or (obv.) NFL team within a generation.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,938,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Some will, and some already did.

Many won't. I won't. Their own really wanted the Rams to leave and wanted the state to himself. He was on Kroenke's side and I will not root for his team. I'm pretty much done with football, it was my least favorite sport to watch. My son has chosen Carolina. At least their owner was initially supportive of St. Louis. I know someone else who picked the Packers...because no billionaire owner The Colts and Bears are also close.
It sucks that the Rams left, but I don't think the Chiefs voted to gain market share. If anything, losing the Rams will be a wash for the Chiefs since they lost a cross state rival and already have a decent fan base in St Louis that I doubt will grow all that much. I'm sure they voted for the move for more money from having a team in LA, just like every other team voted yes. It's just the economics of pro sports. I always thought StL was a good NFL town. You have just had some bad luck with owners.

St Louis should be able to get an MLS team and it would probably be one of the top MLS markets if they did.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,810,232 times
There is a myth out there that without the Rams many people will root for a team close in proximity to St. Louis. In reality some won't care about the NFL. Some will want to just see the best games and teams. Some will root for teams where those people have a geographical connection, far away or close. There isn't going to be a big jump to Chicago or KC fandom. Those teams can and will try get incremental fandom. Imo the average Stl Rams fan will still follow the team mildly from a distance for a couple of seasons before losing interest. This is similar to the old Big Red football Cardinals and their move to AZ. .....For me, the season starts with the regular season. So there is a ways to go yet before my interest perks up. St. Louis will be and do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis