Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 AM

54 posts, read 81,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
The first thing to ask yourself about moving to St. Charles and working in St. Louis is "which bridge will I have to cross twice a day." That's going to affect your travel geometry seriously.
I drive across the 64 bridge several times a month around rush hour. St Louis actually has little rush hour traffic compared to most cities. Going across the bridge is just a slowdown, not a parking lot by any means. I can reach Lake St Louis from LaDue in under 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 11:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2323 View Post
I drive across the 64 bridge several times a month around rush hour. St Louis actually has little rush hour traffic compared to most cities. Going across the bridge is just a slowdown, not a parking lot by any means. I can reach Lake St Louis from LaDue in under 30 minutes.
But you still have to take one of the bridges. Which is what I said.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:59 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Maddox View Post
Hello!

I am moving "site unseen" because I am SO tired of the congestion, racism and lack of progressive thinking in Atlanta,
Congestion is not a problem in St Louis. The rest of it puzzles me. If you want to get away from racism, why would you come to St Louis, one of the most segregated cities in the country? One with a history of racial tension?
And you say you want to live in a progressive area, but you want to be able to smoke in a bar? Sorry, but polluting your neighbor's air is not usually considered progressive. There is a smoking ordinance in St Louis and most establishments are smoke-free, although there are exemptions, for example I know there are quite a few cigar bars.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Congestion is not a problem in St Louis. The rest of it puzzles me. If you want to get away from racism, why would you come to St Louis, one of the most segregated cities in the country? One with a history of racial tension?
And you say you want to live in a progressive area, but you want to be able to smoke in a bar? Sorry, but polluting your neighbor's air is not usually considered progressive. There is a smoking ordinance in St Louis and most establishments are smoke-free, although there are exemptions, for example I know there are quite a few cigar bars.
Pretty sure that was a troll. A clever one no doubt, but the Sammy Hagar reference is a bit much (not to mention Mama's Pride) - shows the poster has some knowledge of the area coupled with thinly veiled disdain.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:37 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
You can't run from racism. Its in Americas dna. I don't think I can honestly write St. Louis is a move in the right direction. It will depend on where you live and what you make of the city.

Your most progressive suburbs are inside 170. You will not get much acreage. Cost of housing will be on the high side of the St. Louis scale.

St Louis is a great place to live and I would recommend renting for the first year or two to get the feel for the area. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:37 PM

383 posts, read 392,525 times
I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta and have family there (Buckhead and all over the outskirts). Actually, I started college at Agnes Scott many years ago. I was in Atlanta a few months ago and honestly was ASTOUNDED at the congestion. Amazing. Totally see why you would want to leave that mess.

Housing costs. I don't find housing that much cheaper here than in Atlanta. The same goes with property taxes. Just as any place, it depends on the area you are looking in. With your description of what you do not like about Atlanta, I think you need to avoid outside of the 270 area, personally. A lot of acreage/larger lot will be hard to come by if you want a more progressive area. The suburbs are quite conservative here. I am trying and cannot think of one leaning more progressive. The more progressive areas tend to be closer into the city.

With liking music, beer and the food you mentioned, I feel you need to look in Maplewood. Very progressive and great restaurants of all types. Schlafly's Bottleworks (right in front of my house) has tons of live music. The genre seems to run the gammet - something for everyone. You won't find any larger lots here, but you have incredible convenience. (Actually, I live in Maplewood).

Maplewood is a younger crowd, mostly with educated professionals moving in. However, you get all socioeconomic classes and races. I'm looking to leave MO, but I would choose my area again without issues.

You are not going to get the congestion you get in Atlanta, so don't worry about that. Traffic really isn't that bad (I've lived in a lot of other bigger cities). Racism? A problem. A problem everywhere. I think the more integrated communities closer in seem better than the outer burbs. That's just my opinion.

If you smoke you will love MO. I don't and was surprised at the amount of smoking here. Of course, I lived in Madison where they ban everything. Anyway, in Maplewood I believe it depends on the size of the establishment. My son walks to the hardware store nearby, and plumes of smoke come out the door when it's opened! Yes, an exaggeration, but I know some places allow it. I don't eat out, so I'm not entirely certain.

U City? Eh. Can be pricey in the nicer areas. Can get very sketchy in the other areas. Check out Maplewood.

Buying? Housing market is crazy. Absolutely insane,especially for $200,000-$300,000 range. Houses in the price range in my area go very fast. Some great flips have just come on the market the past few days. 3/1, mostly. Very nicely done, though.

Good luck. Bring a jacket because it does get chilly in the winter. My family from Atlanta visited me when I was in Madison, WI, and all they had in December with 10 degree weather was a light coat! They didn't own anything heavier because it never got cold down South.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:55 PM

383 posts, read 392,525 times
I have to add something else....

I think Atlanta if FAR more progressive than St. Louis. Atlanta could be quantum leaps ahead. I've lived in Knoxville, Memphis, St. Louis, Houston, Omaha, Madison, and Detroit. I would rank St. Louis as trending more conservative, unless you are inside 170, as MJTinMemphis said.

You might have to make the choice between being in a progressive area and having space between your neighbors. What's more important because I cannot see you having both here.

I had almost 1/2 acre in MI and now have a very small urban lot. For the most part my neighbors do their own thing, but are welcoming and friendly if you feel like chatting. I loved the space of suburbia, but the "feel" is entirely different. Sounds like you are young, so don't discount living closer in with less space.

If you want to experience St. Louis you need to live closer in. Otherwise, you will be living in Anywhere, USA and be missing out on the St. Louis experience. I lost a lot of money to get out of a contract on a house in the suburbs because I insisted to my husband on living closer in because living out was just like any other mundane suburb. Again, my experience.

Sorry to keep rambling, but I know how hard it is to relocate to a new city when you know little about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis