Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,249 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am moving from Atlanta to St. Louis for an engineering position with a local, well-established firm very soon. They loved me and my acumen/skill set so much - even remarking that "wow, we can't even get local talent that's anywhere near your level."
I am moving "site unseen" because I am SO tired of the congestion, racism and lack of progressive thinking in Atlanta, that I'm ready to bolt right now. And the $$$$$$ helped with the decision as well .
So....my question is, where should I take up residence? Is it financially astute to purchase a home in St. Louis these days? I've been reading that housing is CHEAP in St. Louis, but I want to recover any investment I make in a home without fail.
I am NOT a pretentious health nut by any means - I enjoy fried chicken, greasy thin-crust pizza and pale American lager. I'm what America used to be, and wish we could get it back soon! I was furious when Atlanta banned smoking in bars! That's an infringement of my rights!
I also love Sammy Hagar, Mama's Pride and REO Speedwagon. Are they popular in St. Louis? Have you heard of the Atlanta Rhythm Section?
I want to live in a progressive, welcoming suburb where I can have enough acreage to have enough distance from me and the neighbors, but want to be welcoming as well.
Do you think University City is my speed?

Thank you for all your input, St. Louis rocks and GO CARDS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Atlanta Rhythm Section " Homesick "
Cool tune

Old 08-26-2016, 07:31 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
You might also like The Drive-By Truckers, too, Lester Maddox. "Puttin' People on the Moon" is worth a listen to, along with about 500 other tunes of theirs. I first saw them in April 2004 in a bar on the Mississippi River in St. Louis that is now closed down called Mississippi Nights.

Standing in line that night I saw another baby boomer right behind me in line.

"Hey, are these guys any good?"
His answer:
"Prepare ta get your socks knocked off!"

Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Maddox View Post
Hello!

I am moving from Atlanta to St. Louis for an engineering position with a local, well-established firm very soon. They loved me and my acumen/skill set so much - even remarking that "wow, we can't even get local talent that's anywhere near your level."
I am moving "site unseen" because I am SO tired of the congestion, racism and lack of progressive thinking in Atlanta, that I'm ready to bolt right now. And the $$$$$$ helped with the decision as well .
So....my question is, where should I take up residence? Is it financially astute to purchase a home in St. Louis these days? I've been reading that housing is CHEAP in St. Louis, but I want to recover any investment I make in a home without fail.
I am NOT a pretentious health nut by any means - I enjoy fried chicken, greasy thin-crust pizza and pale American lager. I'm what America used to be, and wish we could get it back soon! I was furious when Atlanta banned smoking in bars! That's an infringement of my rights!
I also love Sammy Hagar, Mama's Pride and REO Speedwagon. Are they popular in St. Louis? Have you heard of the Atlanta Rhythm Section?
I want to live in a progressive, welcoming suburb where I can have enough acreage to have enough distance from me and the neighbors, but want to be welcoming as well.
Do you think University City is my speed?

Thank you for all your input, St. Louis rocks and GO CARDS!!
Consult with a realtor, give him/her your specs and see what they can come up with. Then stop back here for input on that area, the things the realtor "forgot" to tell you.

For lots of space you want St. Charles County or South County in St. Louis. I would exclude anything inside the I-270-255 loop based on your requirements.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:14 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Consult with a realtor, give him/her your specs and see what they can come up with. Then stop back here for input on that area, the things the realtor "forgot" to tell you.

For lots of space you want St. Charles County or South County in St. Louis. I would exclude anything inside the I-270-255 loop based on your requirements.
Worth noting, I doubt St. Charles or south county are more progressive than Atlanta.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Worth noting, I doubt St. Charles or south county are more progressive than Atlanta.
By experience, or because of the price ranges of the homes? I understand that affluence tends to slant toward conservatism.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:48 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
By experience, or because of the price ranges of the homes? I understand that affluence tends to slant toward conservatism.
Experience, and election results. I mean, it depends what the original poster means by "progressive thinking", but it's not a trait I've ever heard applied to St. Charles or South County, or really anywhere in the area outside of the city and maybe some inner ring suburbs. On the other hand: greasy pizza, cheap lager and smoking in bars shouldn't be out of place. So, it's hard to make a recommendation.

Also, I'd say St. Louis has an above-average level of affection for REO Speedwagon and Styx.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Unless you really want true acreage...I'd look at the popular inner ring suburbs. U City is good. Maplewood is great. Kirkwood, Webster, Shrewsbury, Brentwood could all be possible depending on the full feel you are looking for. Clayton is probably a little too yuppy for you. Lots of great spots in the city where you can have a small yard as well, but I'm not as much of an expert on that.

True acreage you are looking at Wildwood, Jefferson County, parts of St. Charles county, parts of Illinois. Not really progressive places where you can easily hit up a bar, club, restaurant, etc.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:30 AM

54 posts, read 81,309 times
I live in St. Charles County and there are lots of great places that fit the bill here. Not sure what your price range is. Weldon Spring in particular comes to mind as having some nice homes with a bit of room to breathe, but still an easy commute into St. Louis. Also places in Lake St Louis, some of which come with lake access privileges. That would be along the I64 corridor. Along I70, St. Charles and St. Peters have some nice subdivisions on an acre to a few acres. And yes, you will love the live music scene in St. Louis. Even out here in stuffy old St Charles County (ha ha), free music concerts abound in the summer and they are a lot of fun. And of course you have tons of other music options too. I am not sure you will find a very progressive feel anywhere in the city like you might in California, Austin, etc., but my guess is you will be very happy here. Congrats on the new job. Feel free to PM me or add more details here so I can better direct you.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM

The first thing to ask yourself about moving to St. Charles and working in St. Louis is "which bridge will I have to cross twice a day." That's going to affect your travel geometry seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis