Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

isnt st. louis the same city that almost had race riots because a white girl was kissing a black man on a magazine cover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 04:10 PM

270 posts, read 655,822 times
haha I don't know about that? Maybe something that happened a long time ago or maybe the "riot" was pretty small. Didn't notice anything in my neck of the woods.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:13 PM

389 posts, read 902,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
isnt st. louis the same city that almost had race riots because a white girl was kissing a black man on a magazine cover?
that was the idiot comments section from stltoday.com

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
that was the idiot comments section from stltoday.com
Yes, exactly. Internet comments are not "almost a riot."

Old 07-12-2009, 12:54 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Quote:
That's quite an exaggeration.

It was some idiots in the STLtoday comments section. There were as many people who were fine with it as there were bigots in comments section.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:06 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Hello from a native St. Louisan. We moved to the country because of my husbands job. St. Louis is my home town and always will be. One thing some of you may want to consider is St. Louis has no place to expand to. I've seen other major cities be able to 'expand'. No river on one side, no dividing line between the city and the surrounding counties. Everyone mentions the suburbs. Well, of course. When businesses, shopping, entertainment, and other industries seek to expand, just where is it they can go? To the east side, across the river? Out of Missouri? I think not. To other Missouri counties? Sure, why not?

Tax incentives, newer homes, highways, and land to build on. I spent part of my youth in the CWE, Bartmer, Euclid, and part in North St. Louis, Marcus Ave. Aunt and Uncle and cousins living on 19th and Cass. Other relatives on South side near Cherokee. Mixed groups all over there. Never once did I ever experience racism nor the 'where did you go to H.S.' thing. I also worked at Wash. U. and my department had employees of many different backgrounds and races. I wont say that we were one big happy family, but before you say, see, I told you so, we were like family. Different attitudes, opinions, personalities and such. Just like families.

Still think that are many places to go for good entertainment and enlightenment.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Ok tropolis based on creative misinterpretations and statements on similar threads, it's obvious to me you came in here on your racial high horse and maybe you thought you were going to win an academy award with that performance, but you are mistaken. Your hollier than thou attitude is not going to impress me. Yes, us poor, stupid, ignorant St. Louisians can think, gee darnit, and guess what I've even been to one of those big ol out of state Universities where you get that nifty peice of paper than makes people think they know something special. Maybe one day you will be able to do something besides throw around buzzwords like racist and we will be able to have a real conservation based on facts and reason.. not holding my breath. If you don't like St. Louis, good, we have our quota of self-absorbed jerks met anyway

Old 07-12-2009, 03:14 AM

389 posts, read 902,356 times
^ says the guy who called bus passengers criminals...

Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 AM

Most people riding the bus probably are criminals lol OK not really, but I personally feel safer driving even though I lack quantified evidence to add any credibility my suspecions

Old 07-12-2009, 04:29 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Charges of racism, like the little social soap operas presented here, consist mainly of outright lies, misinterpretations and ignorance. Sorry to inform you, but pulling over a car load of young blacks in a high crime area at 3 am on a tuesday EVEN if they have done nothing except be there, is not racism. If you're a young black male you are a member of a demographic that commits much more crime than your numbers would indicate. The 'harassment' directed at you has nothing to do with your black skin and everything to do with behavior. Or as someone once put it. The content of character. The sad truth is most people oppress themselves.
It's 3am. Go home and go to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis