Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 21,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I did a search of the forum 'cause I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find old posts so I'll ask--

Where are good places nearby that get pretty in the fall? My parents are visiting next weekend and I need to entertain them, so I was thinking we could go see some nature. Hopefully somewhere pretty close by. Any ideas? I also would like to go check out some trails on my own this month (love fall) and would be willing to go farther for that, so let me know if you have mini-road trip suggestions as well.

Also, my dad's obsessed with the Erie Canal. He checked out the museum last time he was in town; is there anything else nearby that he might like? Is it possible to walk along anywhere the canal used to be, e.g.? I know nothing about it.

Finally, if anyone has suggestions in the downtown-ish area for breakfast/brunch, would also like those tips. I don't usually eat breakfast out...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,180 times
Just drive south of Syracuse, until you get to Rt. 20, then head east towards Cazenovia, though the Pompey hills. Use the GPS so you won't get hopelessly lost and just explore! We love to drive around Madison County, which is very rural with wonderfully maintained farms and great views. As far as the Canal is concerned, have you been to Chittenango or Canastota? Both have sections of the canal, with a dedicated museum in Chittenango that includes a restored dry dock, which was used to repair canal boats.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Thanks! That's very helpful. Just moved here this month, so I haven't been too many places, but I do have a GPS.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Just drive south of Syracuse, until you get to Rt. 20, then head east towards Cazenovia, though the Pompey hills. Use the GPS so you won't get hopelessly lost and just explore! We love to drive around Madison County, which is very rural with wonderfully maintained farms and great views. As far as the Canal is concerned, have you been to Chittenango or Canastota? Both have sections of the canal, with a dedicated museum in Chittenango that includes a restored dry dock, which was used to repair canal boats.
I agree with the Route 20 drive. You could stop by some Apple orchards along the way in LaFayette too. You could take Route 20 through both Cazenovia and Skaneateles too.

Here's a list of things in regard to the Erie Canal that he might be interested in: Erie Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are locks of the current Erie Canal in Baldwinsville and Brewerton too. You could take Route 370 to get to B'ville. If you take 81 North, then get off at the Onondaga Parkway exit, it takes you through the village of Liverpool and continue on to Baldwinsville. Abbott Farms is anoter location for apple picking in between the two villages. There's Critz Farms in Cazenovia too.

As for breakfast, you might want to look at places like Stella's Diner, the Market Diner and Mother's Cupboard. The first two are on the North Side near Carousel Center and Mother's Cupboard is in Eastwood near Thompson Road. There's a diner on Westcott, but the name is slipping my mind.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenw82 View Post
Hi all,

I did a search of the forum 'cause I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find old posts so I'll ask--

Where are good places nearby that get pretty in the fall? My parents are visiting next weekend and I need to entertain them, so I was thinking we could go see some nature. Hopefully somewhere pretty close by. Any ideas? I also would like to go check out some trails on my own this month (love fall) and would be willing to go farther for that, so let me know if you have mini-road trip suggestions as well.

Also, my dad's obsessed with the Erie Canal. He checked out the museum last time he was in town; is there anything else nearby that he might like? Is it possible to walk along anywhere the canal used to be, e.g.? I know nothing about it.

Finally, if anyone has suggestions in the downtown-ish area for breakfast/brunch, would also like those tips. I don't usually eat breakfast out...

Thanks!
A weekend itinerary, if *I* was to plan, would be:

Saturday: City Hall Cafe, a block from the downtown Erie Canal Museum Downtown Syracuse

Erie Canal Museum downtown (big canal boat that you can get onto, in glass housing, in the center)- EXHIBITS - The Erie Canal Museum Official Website (http://www.eriecanalmuseum.org/EXHIBITS.tab.aspx - broken link)
They open at 10am, on Saturdays.

Followed by a drive to Highland Forest... hop on 81 South and get off in LaFayette. Head east on Route 20 until the light on Pompey Hill (there will be a gas station "The Pompey Mall" on the right corner.) Take a right, there, onto Route 91. This will give you a cascading view into the southern hills of Pompey and Fabius. (In the winter, you can see the lights from all three major skiing areas, at night - Toggenburg to the left, Labrador on the right and Song on the far right. Beautiful!) It's a stunning view and should supremely feature the fall foliage. Continue on 91 (two large curves, to the left, then the right) until you reach the stop sign in the Village of Fabius. Turn left [onto Route 80] into the village and continue for several miles, until you see the Highland Forest sign on your right. You can't miss it. Gorgeous, extensive trails there... horseback riding, hayrides, trails, streams, little waterfalls...

When you get back to the main road, take a right and continue into Madison County. After a few miles, you'll reach the village of New Woodstock. Turn left (onto 13) at the light. This will take you into the Village of Cazenovia. For a good, low-budget meal, go to the Common Grounds Cafe or Albert's. Park right in the village and you'll see both. For higher-priced fare, go to Linklaen House (old federalist-style building, genuinely furnished) or the Brae Loch (Scottish cuisine.) The lakeside village park is easily visible and within walking distance, for a lovely walk after you eat.
Set your GPS for Syracuse after you leave. lol

For dinner, I would suggest Kitty Hoynes in Armory Square, if you can actually eat again.

Sunday: Stella's Diner on the north side for breakfast... then the HUGE flea market at the Regional Market (by the AmTrak train station, you can't miss it) afterwards.

Another Erie Canal Museum, if you're looking for somewhere else to go afterwards, is in Fayetteville. Another large museum and the canal and the old mule-trails are now running/biking trails, maybe 1/4 mile down the road... the curator can tell you which direction.

Enjoy your visit!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
These old aqueducts can be seen near the overpass above 481, in Dewitt. If you set your GPS for the Town of Dewitt Police Station, you'll find the parking for the Erie Canal trail and can walk next to it.

Erie Canal - Limestone Creek Aqueduct

Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There's a diner on Westcott, but the name is slipping my mind.
Mom's Diner, corner of Westcott Street & Harvard Place.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Mom's Diner, corner of Westcott Street & Harvard Place.
Yes, that's it. I knew someone else would know.

I believe that Camillus also has an Erie Canal Museum too. It's located in the park nearby: http://www.eriecanalcamillus.com/

Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM

Wow, thanks so much for all the great ideas! Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'll let y'all know how it goes

Old 10-04-2010, 04:03 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
The Camillus Erie Canal park has a restored aqueduct (boats go across it)... the only one in existence in NY! It's a must-see for canal buffs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area