Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM

93,387 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Well, that's pretty much why I live in the burbs now. I like to see stars in the sky and not worry about home invasions or getting a cap in my a$$ when I walk the dog at night. Wasn't one of those murders in Tipperary Hill?
It isn't that simple. Besides the arson last year, there was one incident early in the year and it appears that lifestyle had something to do with it, given what was stated in the article. Besides that, there isn't really much serious crime there. A lot of people I went to high school with live in the area and check out the pubs/restaurants in the neighborhood.

It isn't uncommon to see people walking their dog at night in certain neighborhoods too.

Also, given the compact size of Syracuse, living in a first ring suburb still puts you within minutes of anywhere and certain areas like the village of Liverpool, the DeWittshire/Orvilton area of DeWitt, the southern part of Solvay, etc can allow you to walk to restaurants, parks and some other stores/businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I don't base where I live on how many murders happen in one year. I worry much more about what I can afford and how close/far things are. Do I want to be 2 hours away from Wegman's? Heck no!

Besides you never know who's going to snap. When I lived in SC, there was a domestic dispute and a wealthy - and I mean WEALTHY - couple were killed. He beat the snot out of her and killed her. Then killed himself. No one who knew them saw it coming according to the paper. She was leaving him and he didn't want that. So there were 2 murders right there. And yes the police called his death a murder because of the circumstance around it.

Did their deaths make the gated, very WEALTHY neighborhood unsafe? NO! Did it change the murder stats for the year? Yes. Did it make people run and move? NO!

In most areas of the country, you can walk around safely at 3 am. I choose not to. You never know what weird is lurking around the corner. Being female, you don't tend to do things the same as a male. Safety is very different for females. My parents always taught me that nothing good comes from roaming streets in the middle of the night. I tend to agree.

Where I live, it's a ghost town in the evening. Granted, it's a small city, but it's safe and I like living here. Syracuse is faaaaaaaaar too large for me. Far too many people and traffic also. The murders aren't a concern of mine. Can I find an older home with an acre+ with taxes that don't need to be bankrolled by Trump? That's what I worry about.
I don't think anyone is saying to base where one lives solely on how many murders are there. But there is a reason that you don't live in Syracuse (or Rochester, or Buffalo) and I'm sure at least part of it comes down to safety.

Is anyone on here living in the city itself? Maybe 1 person. The vast majority of you live in the burbs, just like I do, for various reasons. And they're not cost-related, as the suburbs cost more in nearly every city in the Northeast with the exception of NYC and possibly Boston. Philly burbs cost more than Philly. Detroit burbs cost way more than Detroit. For anyone here to say that crime is not at least one determining factor in where to live is full of...

So someone will say schools. Considering there are homes in Syracuse for $35k, its not schools, as the savings alone could easily pay for private education. It all boils down to crime.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying to base where one lives solely on how many murders are there. But there is a reason that you don't live in Syracuse (or Rochester, or Buffalo) and I'm sure at least part of it comes down to safety.

Is anyone on here living in the city itself? Maybe 1 person. The vast majority of you live in the burbs, just like I do, for various reasons. And they're not cost-related, as the suburbs cost more in nearly every city in the Northeast with the exception of NYC and possibly Boston. Philly burbs cost more than Philly. Detroit burbs cost way more than Detroit. For anyone here to say that crime is not at least one determining factor in where to live is full of...

So someone will say schools. Considering there are homes in Syracuse for $35k, its not schools, as the savings alone could easily pay for private education. It all boils down to crime.
Not all. It is actually expensive to live in the city. When further comparing the worth of safety, quality of schools and programs, and living somewhere that the maintenance of a sidewalk (often at great cost) is not a concern, the suburbs are cheaper. Living in the city is to pay a fraction as much for the house but a longer-enduring cost in taxes, at least as equal to the taxes of a nicer home in the suburbs or rural areas that immediately surround it.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think schools play a big part as to why some move. Many Catholic schools closed within and just outside of Syracuse within the past 20 years and many families sent their children there.

I personally don't have an issue going all over the city of Syracuse and again all American cities have good and bad areas. So, safety will or may be a factor in terms of cities throughout the US.

Also, there are areas of Syracuse that have higher median incomes and home prices than some suburbs. So, there is some crossover in that regard as well.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Not all. It is actually expensive to live in the city. When further comparing the worth of safety, quality of schools and programs, and living somewhere that the maintenance of a sidewalk (often at great cost) is not a concern, the suburbs are cheaper. Living in the city is to pay a fraction as much for the house but a longer-enduring cost in taxes, at least as equal to the taxes of a nicer home in the suburbs or rural areas that immediately surround it.
This can vary, as if you live in a village, you still have the sidewalk costs and you have the multiple layers of government. Hence, the usually higher taxes in villages.

Also, it may depend on what a person/family is looking for. Many families go with private schools regardless of whether they live in a city or a suburb. Some may value walkability or want a more diverse area culturally. Some may figure that education within the home will supplement what is going on at school and do fine going to public urban schools or certain programs like the International Baccalaureate program is only available in an urban school district. Some may go with charter schools, are basically public schools, but the money follows the student. So, it depends on what people want.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
City of Syracuse resident, 1988 to present. Bought a house in the city in 2009. Not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. (And suburban life... just isn't for me, IMO. If I ever go suburban, it'll be older stuff like the villages or maybe the Dewittshire area, not modern developments)

Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I honestly consider the lack of sidewalks an immediate detractor to a neighborhood. And I live in one in the city that only has them on about 75% of the blocks.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I drove through the flood zone of Oneida Tonite.

Even though I live in it I rarely see the rest as I'm on the edge. Good sized area, I think a couple hundred houses.

Its hard to say how many people are living where as lights out at 8PM could mean any number of things. BUt I's guess maybe 10-20% of house are lived in. Right around my house we are the only ones living here.

Many don't look like much work has been done yet. With mine I'm scrambling to finish the outside so I can work on the inside this Winter and finish painting and what not next Spring and Summer. They better get started.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I drove through the flood zone of Oneida Tonite.

Even though I live in it I rarely see the rest as I'm on the edge. Good sized area, I think a couple hundred houses.

Its hard to say how many people are living where as lights out at 8PM could mean any number of things. BUt I's guess maybe 10-20% of house are lived in. Right around my house we are the only ones living here.

Many don't look like much work has been done yet. With mine I'm scrambling to finish the outside so I can work on the inside this Winter and finish painting and what not next Spring and Summer. They better get started.
Thanks for the update and hoping for a speedy recovery out your way.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This can vary, as if you live in a village, you still have the sidewalk costs and you have the multiple layers of government. Hence, the usually higher taxes in villages.
Yes - it certainly does vary. However, in our village, sidewalks are included in the village budget. Both installation/repair and upkeep. They'll even pour asphalt for several feet around the concrete sidewalk, in your driveway... and for a reasonable additional fee, you can contact their sub in advance and have them do the entire driveway, so it looks nice and not choppy. They want the village to look nice and for the sidewalks to look congruous. They plow and salt the sidewalks in the winter too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area