Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
We have finally reached the point in winter where I wonder why people live here.
I been there since September.

Of 1976.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 03:17 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
We have finally reached the point in winter where I wonder why people live here.
Currently, I can see that. Come Summertime, people will complain about it being too hot, whether that is here or Down South. I guess the human condition is something else.

Earlier today, I was having a conversation with someone and the aspect of natural disasters came up. I think that is something that this area has a low risk of.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:57 PM

NYers are strange in that regard. Whine all winter about the cold then come June, July and August they whine about the heat. You will never ever ever hear me whine about heat. NY can never even come close to hot enough for me.

We actually had a thread recently on my primary forum. All the northerners have been whining this, and every, winter but never do southerners whine about the heat. I been a member for 11 years and when I thought about it it's true. People hate winter plain and simple.

One fun thing is I have only been at my job 17 years which means I get crap vactions. Every year I figger all these hardcore NY winter lovers will wanna take vaction in winter so they can enjoy the snow and cold. But this, and every, year everyone booked there time in June, July and August. So much for loving winter. Best I could do is late May when the nights are cold and the days rainy.

On natural disasters NYers tend to be afraid of there shadows. Put of with the FACT of sub zero temps and a foot of snow over and over rather then the remote possibility something bad might happen. My dad has been in hurricane country for 50 years and lost NOTHiNG. I lost half the skin on my hand yesterday changing a shear bolt on the snowblower. My sister has been in earthquake country 25 years and lost NOTHING. I lost everything I own in a NY flood last year.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:07 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Well, I'm enjoying the winter. I made that decision when I moved back to NY. I decided I needed to learn to take winter in stride. Without it there are droughts and spring is lame. Do I hang round outside when it's 10 degrees and a blizzard? No. But I don't sit here and ***** and moan about the weather either. I'd rather have 3 feet of snow than a tornado!

Some people just like to complain. They're not happy unless they're complaining about something. They could be millionaires, have everything hey could dream of, drink out of glasses made of diamonds, and they'd still find things to complain about. The glasses didn't sparkle the right way. The chauffeur drive too slow or fast or hit a bump. The sun shines the wrong way. Seriously, some people just are miserable and there's no pleasing them. They're not even worth the energy. They bring others down all the time and seem to take pleasure in doing so. No thanks!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Earlier today, I was having a conversation with someone and the aspect of natural disasters came up. I think that is something that this area has a low risk of.
Are blizzards and snow storms a form of natural disasters? I have felt two earthquakes in Syracuse, so that counts as a natural disaster. I am sure Sean can tell you about floods. There are natural disasters here too, but many just see them as part of life that you learn to deal with. I don't think there is a place that doesn't have natural disasters, you just chose which ones you want to deal with.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Are blizzards and snow storms a form of natural disasters? I have felt two earthquakes in Syracuse, so that counts as a natural disaster. I am sure Sean can tell you about floods. There are natural disasters here too, but many just see them as part of life that you learn to deal with. I don't think there is a place that doesn't have natural disasters, you just chose which ones you want to deal with.
Snow isn't considered a natural disaster. A blizzard is, but actual blizzards are rare. The earthquakes here barely count as earthquakes! They don't cause any damage. Yes, you can expect a flood if you live in a floodplain. Don't live in one!

When was the last time a Cat 5 hurricane hit here? An earthquake 6.0? Dozens of tornadoes in one night? Wildfires that burns tens of thousands of acres? Mudslides where entire cliffs are gone? Volcano?

Top 10 safest U.S. cities from natural disasters - Page 8 - CBS News

Top 10 safest U.S. cities from natural disasters - Page 11 - CBS News

These U.S. Cities Are the Safest Refuges From Natural Disasters - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

Syracuse named safest U.S. city for refuge from natural disasters | syracuse.com

Old 02-07-2014, 05:14 AM

That's some solid NY thinking there. Worry about something that may never happen somewhere else so live in Syracuse and get beat to death for being white and let your kids get jump in the crapper.

The media loves natural disasters. NYers eat them up. Makes them feel good. Meanwhile winter silently kills. Car goes off snowy roads and three die. Traffic death winter is blameless. Apartment building burns down because of the heater five children dead. House fire winter is blameless. Weather keeps everyone trapped inside. Flu spreads like wildfire. People die. Disease. Not winters fault.

Our winter related body count will run with any area. So we cower in our little igloos and thank god we don't have to worry about weather. Cause the TV says it's super scary elsewhere.

I wish I worked with people like you that love winter. You must take vacation during winter and let the heat lovers take the summer off. That would be nice. The actual people I deal with complian the south is to hot and turn around and take all there time off during the southern style weather. Which leaves us low guys with winter vacations. Which for me means Florida in febuary, charleston in May and Las Vegas in September and massive overtime June July and August.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Snow isn't considered a natural disaster. A blizzard is, but actual blizzards are rare. The earthquakes here barely count as earthquakes! They don't cause any damage. Yes, you can expect a flood if you live in a floodplain. Don't live in one!

When was the last time a Cat 5 hurricane hit here? An earthquake 6.0? Dozens of tornadoes in one night? Wildfires that burns tens of thousands of acres? Mudslides where entire cliffs are gone? Volcano?

Top 10 safest U.S. cities from natural disasters - Page 8 - CBS News

Top 10 safest U.S. cities from natural disasters - Page 11 - CBS News

These U.S. Cities Are the Safest Refuges From Natural Disasters - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

Syracuse named safest U.S. city for refuge from natural disasters | syracuse.com
This......Both of the earthquakes felt here were pretty minor in comparison to other areas that get them with more regularity.

We are also able to dig ourselves out of times of high snowfall in a relatively timely manner versus places that shut down due to the sight of snow. So, even the biggest weather occurrence that we get here can be handled due to the equipment that is in place here.

As for complaining about weather, that happens in many places. I heard it in MI, GA, SC, etc.....I'm not going to address that first part, Sean, as most people in Syracuse that have committed violent crimes do it largely against people of the same race. No outcry when that happens though. I've seen the opposite happen and know from experience. Let's just say luckily I was young at the time.

As for winter, many people love winter activities and still go on with life. There is such thing as heat stroke and many may stay inside during very hot summers as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-07-2014 at 06:09 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 06:08 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
That's some solid NY thinking there. Worry about something that may never happen somewhere else so live in Syracuse and get beat to death for being white and let your kids get jump in the crapper.

The media loves natural disasters. NYers eat them up. Makes them feel good. Meanwhile winter silently kills. Car goes off snowy roads and three die. Traffic death winter is blameless. Apartment building burns down because of the heater five children dead. House fire winter is blameless. Weather keeps everyone trapped inside. Flu spreads like wildfire. People die. Disease. Not winters fault.

Our winter related body count will run with any area. So we cower in our little igloos and thank god we don't have to worry about weather. Cause the TV says it's super scary elsewhere.

I wish I worked with people like you that love winter. You must take vacation during winter and let the heat lovers take the summer off. That would be nice. The actual people I deal with complian the south is to hot and turn around and take all there time off during the southern style weather. Which leaves us low guys with winter vacations. Which for me means Florida in febuary, charleston in May and Las Vegas in September and massive overtime June July and August.
Sean, you are so right. I've been saying for years that winter kills/hurts a lot more people than other natural disasters. I've never met anyone killed by a volcano or an earthquake. But I do know people who have been killed in a winter crash. I hear about fires all the time from space heaters. Flu turns into pneumonia for many people. Floods are much more common here, there's huge discussions about people's HO insurance tripling here from floods, which means they are common enough. Plus, other inconveniences like a pothole destroying the front end of your car.

Yes, people go down to Myrtle Beach in summer, not winter. Most people can deal with the heat and most people's idea of a summertime vacation is along the coast in hot weather. I didn't say every single person, but most people. Of course, I also like the Finger Lakes in summer, and the 'dacks.

I'm not here to bash Syracuse or Upstate, as its plenty cold here too. I'm bashing winter. Like Sean, I work outside in it, all winter, even when its -10 below. And it has been. Working with cold steel machinery on a -5 degree day with winds howling and snow blowing in your face is probably the worst feeling. I beg for 100 degree days. End rant, I'm not disrespecting anyone else's opinion, I'm just tired of winter!!!!

Old 02-07-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Sean, you are so right. I've been saying for years that winter kills/hurts a lot more people than other natural disasters. I've never met anyone killed by a volcano or an earthquake. But I do know people who have been killed in a winter crash. I hear about fires all the time from space heaters. Flu turns into pneumonia for many people. Floods are much more common here, there's huge discussions about people's HO insurance tripling here from floods, which means they are common enough. Plus, other inconveniences like a pothole destroying the front end of your car.

Yes, people go down to Myrtle Beach in summer, not winter. Most people can deal with the heat and most people's idea of a summertime vacation is along the coast in hot weather. I didn't say every single person, but most people. Of course, I also like the Finger Lakes in summer, and the 'dacks.

I'm not here to bash Syracuse or Upstate, as its plenty cold here too. I'm bashing winter. Like Sean, I work outside in it, all winter, even when its -10 below. And it has been. Working with cold steel machinery on a -5 degree day with winds howling and snow blowing in your face is probably the worst feeling. I beg for 100 degree days. End rant, I'm not disrespecting anyone else's opinion, I'm just tired of winter!!!!
People can die from heat stroke and there are people that have died due to tornados and other natural disasters. Flooding can occur and depending in the built environment, some places are more prone than others in Upstate NY.

Working in 100 or -40(with windchill) degrees isn't fun either way.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-07-2014 at 06:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area