Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times

Advertisements

I was poking around looking for some non subdivision houses online..more "country" than burbs...(I am claustrophobic in subdivisions!) ..

I live in Amherst NY right now but thinking of moving to the Rochester area. Affordability is an issue. Million dollar homes on Skaneateles Lake are not on my list!

I have never been that far into the Finger Lake region. I used to go to Letchworth on the weekends. Thats' as far as I know right now. I need to make a trip soon.

Finger Lakes -too far a commute? What's the closest part of that area that might work? Found a great house on Lake Skaneateles but it was all the way at the bottom of the lake..is there a good side of the lake that everybody wants to live on?

How long a drive into the city from there non rush hour?
- I will be taking courses at Eastman two times a week - If the Finger Lakes are is too far where else can I look?

(OT: Okay. Fairport has a Trader Joes. That is a lure. But the houses I saw were either tiny old ones on smal lots in the city (too much asbestos for me) or in newish subdivisions..did I miss an area that is more "country"?)

Cheers, and Happy New Year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Wrong metro, as it is 15 miles outside of Syracuse. It is very affluent, by the way.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM

192 posts, read 530,733 times
Skaneateles is defiantly closer to Syracuse then Rochester. If I were taking classes at Eastman I would defiantly want to be closer to the city then that.

If you’re looking for a smaller town you might want to check out Spencerport it’s a nice little canal town far out on the Westside. They have a village with a few small stores and also amenities like Salvatore’s, Subway, and Tops. They’re also close to the expressway so you could shoot into downtown. A negative would be its getting more and more built up but you should be able to find a few country homes out there.

I would also recommend Brockport. It’s another small canal town even further west of Spencerport. Its home to SUNY Brockport so they have a lot more shops out there including a small movie theater and a Wegmen’s. No expressway though.

By the way I think the Trader Joes is going to be in the town of Pittsford not Fairport.

Last edited by Corrion14621; 01-03-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Thread moved to the correct forum

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wrong metro, as it is 15 miles outside of Syracuse. It is very affluent, by the way.
THANKS..too far is right!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
Skaneateles is defiantly closer to Syracuse then Rochester. If I were taking classes at Eastman I would defiantly want to be closer to the city then that.

If you’re looking for a smaller town you might want to check out Spencerport it’s a nice little canal town far out on the Westside. They have a village with a few small stores and also amenities like Salvatore’s, Subway, and Tops. They’re also close to the expressway so you could shoot into downtown. A negative would be its getting more and more built up but you should be able to find a few country homes out there.

I would also recommend Brockport. It’s another small canal town even further west of Spencerport. Its home to SUNY Brockport so they have a lot more shops out there including a small movie theater and a Wegmen’s. No expressway though.

By the way I think the Trader Joes is going to be in the town of Pittsford not Fairport.
thanks.. good ideas..canandaigua might work too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area