Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 AM

162 posts, read 274,405 times

Advertisements

Best Useless Street Signs

Saw this article the other day. I'm posting mostly for the comments made by the NYS&W representative towards the end. That was one of OnTrack's biggest problems in a nutshell. Indifferent management uninterested in actually making the service convenient or useful, let alone promoting it after the initiation of service. This also ignores the fairly well known fact that the only reason NYS&W started the service in the first place was so that Robert Rich, a major political benefactor, owned the company and offered it in exchange for subsidies from the state and county for track and signal improvements throughout the system. He was also a big train enthusiast so it was an added bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,998,212 times
Yep. And expecting mass transit of any kind to truly be useful *and* profitable is almost always a foolish proposition; we subsidize the hell out of roads, why not subsidize transit that's actually efficient?

OnTrack had many problems. It didn't go anywhere useful for many people, and more importantly, with the exception of the SU area station, it didn't go anywhere anybody lived near. If you have to drive halfway to your destination in order to hit the mass transit, and there's no real traffic to speak of for the other half, it's a waste of energy to bother.

In order for a system like OnTrack to be useful, there will be unprofitable parts of the line - because they lie between places it has to be able to go to be useful as a whole. And in order for it to pick up steam in the first place, it has to be at least comparable in cost to the commute it replaces, which rules out making it work without subsidies.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM

18 posts, read 21,626 times
The NY Susquehana and Western was given free property taxes in Onondaga County in exchange for running the Rail Diesel Cars to the Carousel Mall. The service was always spotty and then they dropped it altogether. And they still don't pay any taxes. It was a scam from the start.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
I actually rode that thing a couple of times when I had long layovers between classes. It's too bad that model for establishing rail transit on the cheap isn't used in other locations where tracks exist and there's some need for it. We could use a couple of those in rush hour traffic in Harrisburg, where buses get stuck in the same traffic.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM

80 posts, read 111,230 times
Pardon my inexperience with the Syracuse area, but I've noticed that there are some tracks becoming re-exposed on certain streets... Was this ever part of OnTrack or something like a trolley service? I think I've seen them on E Genesse St. but could be wrong.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM

28 posts, read 28,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrun1126 View Post
Pardon my inexperience with the Syracuse area, but I've noticed that there are some tracks becoming re-exposed on certain streets... Was this ever part of OnTrack or something like a trolley service? I think I've seen them on E Genesse St. but could be wrong.

Those are old trolley tracks, jmrun1126. OnTrack ran on the old RR tracks from W. Jefferson St. to the Carousel Mall--mostly elevated and never in a City street.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
So, is there a chance?: Seeing an old Syracuse rail service in a new way: Is there renewed hope for the Ontrack corridor? | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area