Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM

93,521 posts, read 124,229,264 times

Advertisements

Given the economy, population and educational factors, should the two entities consolidate? I believe that this was considered in the 1970's, but was voted down. Here is some information on the patterns of government in the county: http://lwvsyr.org/files/PatternsOfGovernment.pdf

Here is some more information: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...rHHbpBcovvOO3w

SYRACUSE 20/20: Reports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,274,820 times
Well I live in a different County, I don't think you can even get there from here, but I read it.

Paints a pretty bleak picture for Syracuse indeed but no surprises.

Looks to me like Syracuse is flat arsed broke, the 'burbs got the money and the city wants to take it.

I can't think of a single thing the suburban people would gain, and neither can they as 75% think its a stupid idea.

Syracuse may get the last laugh though, by giving Destiny tax free status they can give sweetheart deals to stores and pull them away from suburban malls. Then again doesn't sales tax go to the County?? Wow Syarcuse may have really shot themselves in the foot after all.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:34 PM

31 posts, read 48,466 times
Thats entirely the problem, its an us versus them attitude. The region is bound to fail if the city itself does. In the midwest/out west, it is done a lot better in terms of city/county consolidations. The Northeast is way too Balkanized to its detriment.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM

93,521 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanica View Post
Thats entirely the problem, its an us versus them attitude. The region is bound to fail if the city itself does. In the midwest/out west, it is done a lot better in terms of city/county consolidations. The Northeast is way too Balkanized to its detriment.
Good point and I dare say that there is a disconnect between county and city in many ways. It isn't Metro Detroit, but it is there.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Given the economy, population and educational factors, should the two entities consolidate? I believe that this was considered in the 1970's, but was voted down. Here is some information on the patterns of government in the county: http://lwvsyr.org/files/PatternsOfGovernment.pdf

Here is some more information: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...rHHbpBcovvOO3w

SYRACUSE 20/20: Reports
Who'd be footing the bill? The rest of Onondaga County? I could definitely see the residents tell the city to pound sand. I almost moved to that county and would have second thoughts if I had to pay for Syracuse. Clearly, they have financial issues and have for awhile. They haven't really done much to help themselves by giving away the farm for free. Yes, they're looking at sales tax instead of property taxes (ie DestinyUSA), but the county collects sales tax and redistributes it. Does Syracuse get back every dime they put in?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Syracuse has to play nice with some neighbors as well. It's not like their water comes from Onondaga Lake. Skaneateles residents surely don't want to pay for Syracuse's problems. Taxes in the village are already through the roof and into the clouds.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,869,074 times
Considering the state of the City of Syracuse finances, there is a huge opportunity to consider consolidation with the County. The County is in a far better position to manage local affairs. I think that consolidation will go a long way in marketing the area, considering the global climate we live in.

However, I doubt the local leadership is that enlightened to move forward (in a major way) anytime soon. There might be some consolidation of departments and services, but nothing on a grand scale. Don't look for Syracuse to become another Toronto, Louisville, Nashville, etc. anytime soon. I believe that there is a myopic view that dates back to the 1950's. Unfortunately, those at lower levels of government do not want to yeild their miniscule grip on power. As Urbanica points out, there is a us vs. them attitude.

Consider this un-related example, the city of Syracuse has lost approximately 75,000 people since its peak of 220,000 residents during the 1950's. Yet, the Common Council still maintains ten members; President; four at-large members; and five district council members. However, Plus, recent consolidation votes have failed, recently in East Syracuse regarding police. Comparatively, the City of Orlando has a much greater population with 6 City Commissioners and the Mayor, the City of Fort lauderdale (slightly larger than the City of Syracuse) has 5 members, including the Mayor.

Here is a nice summary by wikipedia on city-county consolidation:

Consolidated city

Point being, if leaders are not willing to consolidate their power at the municipal level, they are certainly not going to move forward with City-County consolidation. Here are some pros and cons of consolidation:

Pros:
  • The larger the government unit making the purchases, the more buying power it can leverage to reduce costs.
  • By consolidating government services under a single umbrella, waste and inefficiency can be reduced by the elimination of service duplication.
  • Core cities benefit from the expansion of the tax base that supports their feature services and attractions.
  • It's easier to promote a metropolitan area under a single "brand" name than under the names of multiple communities.
  • The more opportunities for small-to-medium-sized bids and contracts, the healthier the environment for small businesses supplying those goods and services.
Cons:
  • The larger the community, the harder it is for individual residents to influence elected leaders.
  • The overwhelming tendency is for governments to become less efficient the larger they grow.
  • The larger the governmental unit, the greater the prospects for significant corruption.
  • The larger the government unit, the easier it is to hide or ignore problems in smaller communities contained within it.
I think the pros of consolidation far outweigh the cons, I think it needs to be pursued!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 10-26-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area