Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM

48 posts, read 202,173 times

Advertisements

Please I need help. Live here in Fort Worth, TX right now. Have the house up for sale. Looking to relocate to upstate NY, both my husband and I are from NY. Looking at upstate because we can not afford to live down state. Where is a nice town upstate that is safe to raise kids, great schools, close to shopping and dining??? Also my husband is a nurse and would need hospitals that are close by, especially when driving in the winter. We need affordable housing as well, we have four kids. We have been in touch with a realtor in Amherst which I here is a real safe place to raise a family. Any comments would be greatly appreciated about this town and surrounding areas. Also am looking maybe in Syracuse or the surrounding areas of Syracuse where it is a little closer to downstate where are realitives are. We plan on coming up early next year to make a decision on where we are buying. I really need your help guys on finding a great place to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at maryann1804@yahoo.com as I do not check these posts all of the time.
Thanks!
maryann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Rochester and Syracuse would probably be the two best areas for jobs in the medical profession. University of Rochester is huge and getting bigger every year, and most of the jobs it is creating are in the medical field. Rochester has University of Rochester Medical Center/ Stong Hospital (the ONLY hospital in Upstate NY to make the top 50 in the nation) as well as Highland, Unity (otherwise known as Park Ridge) and Rochester General Hospital. Some of the small towns outside of Rochester (other than it's suburbs) that might be what you are looking for are Canandaigua (right on it's namesake Canandaigua lake, one of the finger lakes), and Macedon. I'm not really as familiar with Syracuse, I just know that it has one of the better job markets upstate, and the medical field is a growing sector there much like it is in Rochester.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:46 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Just want to help clear something up.

Amherst, NY making the list of "safest US cities" is a little misleading since the list only includes places with a population greater than 75,000. There are many other safe suburbs in Upstate New York.... that didn't make the list. Just because they are smaller than 75,000.

For example, take my town...the Town of Clay, NY. If you check out the statistics, Clay, NY is even safer than Amherst, NY. But because Clay, NY is only 60,000 in population, it wasn't included on the "Safest US Cities" list.

i'minformed is right. There are many medical jobs in Syracuse. SUNY Upstate Medical University (or University Hospital) is a teaching Hospital. Plus, there is Crouse Hospital, Community General Hospital, VA Medical Center and St. Joseph's Hospital. It seems as though they are always hiring. Right now, a new wing is under construction on University Hospital that will include a new Children's Hospital.

The Eastern suburbs of Syracuse are the closest suburbs to the major Hospitals. Eastern suburbs include the towns of DeWitt, and Manlius. Within those towns are nice communities like Jamesville, and Fayetteville. These suburbs have the most expensive housing prices. The northern suburbs are a bit further away from the major Hospitals, but the housing is less expensive. These suburbs are Cicero, Clay, Lysander and Salina. They include communities called Liverpool, North Syracuse, and Baldwinsville. I'm not sure how many jobs there are available, but North Medical Center (a large five story Medical center that serves the northern suburbs) is located Liverpool in the Town of Clay. I hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 31,700 times
Default albany area!!

Check out the Albany Medical College and Hospital -- one of the best in NY by my uneducated guesses LOL!

The surrounding areas are great, safe, excellent schools, beautiful seasons, easy to get to downstate, Montreal and Boston.

Holli Boyd

Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 PM

48 posts, read 202,173 times
thanks for all your help guys.. any other suggestions would be great!

Old 11-21-2006, 06:23 PM

140 posts, read 731,738 times
Both Rochester and Syracuse are subject to lake effect snow storms which means they get huge snowfalls throughout the winter season. It's not uncommon to get dumped on to the tune of 1 or 2 feet of snow during a single snow storm.

Other areas to consider include Ithaca and Binghamton...both are the centers of major universities, have large medical centers, are historically safe and clean, have high quality educational systems, and the cost of housing and living are quite reasonable. Also, while they do get snow storms, their snow isn't as severe, and prolonged, as it is in Syracuse and Rochester. Plus, both Ithaca and Binghamton are smaller cities, with abundant shopping and are close to major transportation hubs and both have smaller airports. Additionally, both Ithaca and Binghamton are noted for having a lot of cultural opportunities due to their association with the major universities located in each city. I'd pick either city above Rochester or Syracuse.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-14-2007 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: false content

Old 11-21-2006, 07:50 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Cool Binghamton, NY........

Just wanted to let you know however wonderful Binghamton may seem, it is listed as one of the cities with the most cloudy days in the state. If you like sunshine as I do, and are coming from a sunny area (Texas), you might just keep it in mind..........winters will be long enough without gray skies for over 200 days a year...........In my opinion makes the winter even longer. It may not make a difference at all to you, but does to some.............

Old 11-21-2006, 08:18 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
As a nurse I can tell you Syracuse is a good deal, or Albany. I personally would not work/live in Binghampton.

But...your salary would be very nice in Middletown NY. You could live in PA (milford) and commute 35 minutes on Rte 84 (well cleared in winter).

Hospital is Orange Regional Medical Center. They quoted me 29/hr as a RN with 2 years experience. That was 2 years ago. There is also Arden Hill in Goshen, owned by the same corp. They are union and have good bennies, plenty of room to grow.

You will not find that salary in Albany or Syracuse, and the salary in Middletown will carry you NICELY in NE PA (or even Greenville NY), it is rural but you still can get somewhere in half an hour.

Good luck with your move!

Old 11-22-2006, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 34,768 times
I'm from upstate and would never live in Binghamton or Ithaca before Syracuse or Rochester. They have major Universities but so does Syracuse, Hello...world renowned SU, and Rochester (Univ. of Roch, RIT, etc.). THey have way more things to do there than Ithaca, or GOD Forbid Binghamton, which is one of the MOST DEPRESSING places I've ever been. No investment, no life. Most people I know from Binghamton and Ithaca claim their form Syracuse, as if those are suburbs of Syracuse. Ithaca is cool is you want the college, liberal feel but Syracuse is a much better diverse all around city.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I would also suggest avoiding Binghamton. It's basically a place where long islanders go for cheap tuition. It's often seen as the epitomy of a dumpy small upstate town. Ithaca on the other hand is indeed a very nice small city. With Ivy League Cornell University, it attracts and retains many young professionals and overall feels much "cleaner" than Binghamton. I would still pick Rochester or Syracuse, simply for the fact that they are larger and more diverse metropolitan areas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area