Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 07:02 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Breakfast View Post
Unless you work at Micron and have a high playing job with a family, I don't see the point of living in Clay.

It's a low crime area, but one of the most boring places to live in CNY.
The northern suburbs and Clay, NY are there own universe. If the circle of people who I know is common most people living in Clay rarely go into the city. Maybe to the mall or a baseball game or an SU game a couple times a year. Unless you work in the city, people could go years without setting foot inside the city limits. I grew up rarely "going down city".

Most people in the northern suburbs go to Onondaga Lake Park instead of Green Lakes. Beaver Lake instead of Green Lakes. Oneida Shores instead Green Lakes. Rarely ever went to Erie Blvd since we have Route 31 and Route 11 for shopping. We did family parties on the lake instead of festivals in downtown.

If the city depresses you, the northern suburbs are a great place to live because everything needed to live and play and shop is there. Not many eyesores in the northern burbs compared to Erie Blvd or Solvay or the Northside of the city. To me the northern suburbs are a great place to live.

My advice for anyone living south of Interstate 90 is if you think Syracuse is depressing, move north of the Thruway. There is a more progressive, pro growth and upbeat vibe in the northern suburbs since it has always been growing and evolving. Also most people rarely think about the poverty in the city because it isn't a part of every day life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 07:20 PM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
The northern suburbs and Clay, NY are there own universe. If the circle of people who I know is common most people living in Clay rarely go into the city. Maybe to the mall or a baseball game or an SU game a couple times a year. Unless you work in the city, people could go years without setting foot inside the city limits. I grew up rarely "going down city".

Most people in the northern suburbs go to Onondaga Lake Park instead of Green Lakes. Beaver Lake instead of Green Lakes. Oneida Shores instead Green Lakes. Rarely ever went to Erie Blvd since we have Route 31 and Route 11 for shopping. We did family parties on the lake instead of festivals in downtown.

If the city depresses you, the northern suburbs are a great place to live because everything needed to live and play and shop is there. Not many eyesores in the northern burbs compared to Erie Blvd or Solvay or the Northside of the city. To me the northern suburbs are a great place to live.

My advice for anyone living south of Interstate 90 is if you think Syracuse is depressing, move north of the Thruway. There is a more progressive, pro growth and upbeat vibe in the northern suburbs since it has always been growing and evolving. Also most people rarely think about the poverty in the city because it isn't a part of every day life.
I wouldn’t call the northern suburbs “progressive” as someone that has lived in them and in comparison to the eastern suburbs. While the Shoppingtown property is a prime location for redevelopment and there are a few gaps on Erie Boulevard, it also has new retail development and stores/things you don’t have in the northern suburbs like Trader Joe’s, Blaze Pizza and Par’s Golf to name a few. Solvay is literally an industrial company town versus a standard suburb. In the northern suburbs, you have retail gaps along Bremerton Road/Route 11 in Mattydale and even in Cicero north of say the Walmart/Target. Route 57 also has some retail gaps just south of Soule Road. This isn’t to knock the northern suburbs at all, but it isn’t the be all, end all in the area and I know that was your thing in the past on here. However, there are nice areas throughout the area, including within city limits.

Also, for the vast majority of nightlife, walkability, events, etc. will actually be south of I-90/Syracuse. Most of the population in the county is south of I-90 as well. For “progressive”, I’d say from much of the East Side into the eastern suburbs fits the more recognized use of the word.

Poverty is an aspect of life for those living with it and that goes for any area, whether they are fast growing or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area